Was Your Handover over in a Flash? (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We don't pick up our first van until June and have read that it is best to video hand over if possible. I have come across this series of 15 videos which I'm sure you will find useful. I've only watch three or four and have found them useful, so I've subscribed to the channel so that I can watch them over and over.
Enjoy

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The handover for our first new van was around an hour and a half, but included a tour of the workshop plus tea and bickys.
It all seemed pretty straightforward and I had all the handbooks to fall back on if I was desperate!
Of course, I forgot everything as I drove it home from the dealers......

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Having the knowledge to do your own testing and inspection is better than a salesman wittering on and on.. most of which you will forget.. I appreciate that's probably not practical or possible for your first van.. but once you have sufficient knowledge and experience you won't need or want the 'handover spiel' .
I took about an hour going over my present van..salesman left me in peace until I was finished, then we shook hands.

One tip which may help, is to record the handover on video, don't be shy about this.. ask if it's ok first.. it's useful reference and also proof of any promises made to rectify any snags or faults found and don't accept any excuses for not demonstrating how something works or why it's not working.

Exciting times ahead.. good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I wrote things down when we got our first MH but found the hand books invaluable .
The old motto practice makes perfect comes to mind but occasionally backfires !( when filling up water tank make sure valve is closed first!!!)
Enjoy and we played with ours on the drive even slept in it so we didn’t show ourselves up on the first night on a real campsite!! Of course the neighbours came for a nosey!!
Have fun!!!

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Our handover last Sat morning was almost 2 hours , solely in and around the MoHo

Was done by the “handover man” not the salesman

HE found a couple of snags ( blind fouling, small tap leak) and at the end of handover the Service tech was at the door starting the rectification (we dont collect until Thurs)
Very professional

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
It's interesting that you've got an Autotrail in the video. We bought one in 2016 and following the handover from hell we took it home to find dozens of issues; everything from damaged bodywork to bodged pod repairs (it was a Hi-Line), to incorrectly wired solar panels to the interior which was of a shocking low grade quality - it only took about a fortnight before we realised that we should get rid of this lemon.

In hindsight we should have rejected the van but we did one better and got rid of it weeks later for a quality unit.

We put our first handover down to experience but I must say that I learnt a lot, i.e. how not to do it.

I should really post-up my Autotrail's defect list as an eye opener to others.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Our handover last Sat morning was almost 2 hours , solely in and around the MoHo

Was done by the “handover man” not the salesman

HE found a couple of snags ( blind fouling, small tap leak) and at the end of handover the Service tech was at the door starting the rectification (we dont collect until Thurs)
Very professional

Name that good dealer please.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Our first moho we bought s/h from Stuart Longton in Chorley Lancs. when it came to handover there wasn't a gas bottle on board. It was stated that they didn't supply gas bottles. I refused to sign for it without being able to run the central heating, hot water, hob and oven. I demanded it was connected to ehu to check the 230v equipment too.
Remember your Moho represents a massive expenditure, make sure it's right (y)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our dealer let's the workshop head do it. Just tells us anything different to our last van and shows us important things like how to access the pre installed wiring for solar panels etc.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Our dealer let's the workshop head do it. Just tells us anything different to our last van and shows us important things like how to access the pre installed wiring for solar panels etc.

I've heard on the grapevine Lenny that Hymer loves it when you visit its workshop as they get to ask 'you' questions about their products.(y)..........:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We had a really good and comprehensive handover on our first van from Oaktree Motorhomes.

Our second and brand New Motorhome handover from 3A’s was very poor. Chap said they were very busy (pick up day and time booked 3 weeks previously...), which was why we had to wait an hour after appointment time... he then rushed through the whole thing. Now fortunately I am reasonably savvy and can also read handbooks. I also have reasonable eyesight (the Beauty Terrorists are hawk like...) and we picked up 6 issues...)

They said they could keep the van and sort it out over the next two weeks. We took it and booked it in at a later date ( that saga has been documented on here....)

But driving out lovely new van back down the M4, The Beauty Terrorist remarked that the guys hand over just about lasted longer than my lovemaking.....:eek:

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We've experienced three handovers. Two were really dire and the most recent one was fantastic. The most recent one took most of the day (lunch provided) and would have been a whole day should we have wanted/needed it but we already had experience so didn't need to go into too much detail on the basics.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
When we bought our used (sorry,”pre-loved”,excuse me while I vomit) van from Wellsbridge in Ramsey,the handover was excellent. Took about an hour, guy was very thorough and knowledgeable,and the duchess recorded it.
Suggest you video the bits that might be tricky,e.g. bed erection (careful now),heating and water,awning.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Name that good dealer please.

Geoff

Geoff
It is SPINNEY in Cheshire
Experience was a pleasure

They hooked it up prior to our (9am) arrival
1degree outside and toasty inside

We had been inside to measure some stuff 10 days ago (prior to PDi) and found about 5 items that we were not happy with
We kept it quiet to “test” them, but none of the faults we found were present at handover so thumbs up

Upvote 0

Bertie driver

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Neebie
We had a handover for a couple of hours and were able to stay at the dealers with hookup etc. I would say if you can spend the first night on a site close to the dealer so you can contact them easily. On most sites there are usually plenty of people willing to help if you ask. Every one has a first time.

Upvote 0

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
In an ideal world ?. Ya should stay in yre van at the premises ... hook up ..... Gas .... water etc etc to ensure all funcyions etc work correctly ... I've no idea why dealers don't offer this facility oh yes ... I've been fobbed off in the past. . " OH WERE NOT INSURED .." ... rubbish ... Ok ... I'll park outside & see how the batteries are etc when not hooked up ... !!!! Ummmm ...
Some are good .. Most , can't wait to see the back of you...
I'm right ay ....

Upvote 0

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Test driving tomorrow !!!
Exp
Ours was rubbish, especially considering that due to the weather we were the only people picking up and they had a stack of vans waiting outside from people who had cancelled. It took about 20 mins! I had downloaded the manual so was pretty well up to speed and had picked up a lot from here and Bailey motorhome owners facebook page otherwise I wouldn't have known to check whether centre strut for awning was there (it wasn't)! Not told that we had a FW heater installed - isn't in the manual either! One blind was broken and there is a chip in one table. Not shown how to assemble beds. Told we had to drain down the whole system every night if frost due (should have told us about the heater then I think!). All in all not a great experience - rather felt they wanted rid of us so they could go home early. We were staying 5 mins away and had there been anything serious we woulds have gone back but decided we'd head off on our trip. The dealership is keeping our car until we get back so if necessary we'll leave the van with them then. Hopefully nothing else will crop up!

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Praise and Raise or Name and Shame.

Help others with your experiences, however, please be honest.

Upvote 0

HardUpHarry

Free Member
Sep 4, 2017
Funster No
I picked up my magic bus yesterday from Todd's at Lostock Hall and have to say I was very pleased with the hand over. We had a good hour and half - two hours and I suspect we could have had a lot more time if we had needed it, but as previous campers and renters of static caravans we had a bit of knowledge about basic systems (although I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of time until i leave the toilet open and drive down a rutted lane).

The other thing I liked about the handover was that the dealer had the vehicle out, ready and the salesman was waiting for us to show up at the agreed time. So far so good.

Upvote 0

Buzz and Angela

Free Member
Jan 31, 2018
Rothwell
Funster No
MH
Coach built
We bought our first M/H from Danum Leisure and was very comprehensive and was roughly 1hr 20mins and when I say comprehensive I mean Angela my wife was on the ball and took notes and listened :)

Videos look good

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I picked up my magic bus yesterday from Todd's at Lostock Hall and have to say I was very pleased with the hand over. We had a good hour and half - two hours and I suspect we could have had a lot more time if we had needed it, but as previous campers and renters of static caravans we had a bit of knowledge about basic systems (although I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of time until i leave the toilet open and drive down a rutted lane).

The other thing I liked about the handover was that the dealer had the vehicle out, ready and the salesman was waiting for us to show up at the agreed time. So far so good.
Must admit to being slightly envious! :whistle: At the moment counting the months til we get ours!
Hope she's good to you. Enjoy:)

Upvote 0

Lucy the Laika

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 7, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
Laika EcoVip 410
Exp
We bought our Laika in Spain, the handover was pretty good considering the languages(1.5hrs) but the aftersales has been absolutely excellent. Any issues (and more) done with no quibble at all, mh was like for like £12000 cheaper than uk prices too!.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back