Is it a bus, is it a van, is it a camper ? (1 Viewer)

In Transit

Free Member
Apr 4, 2018
Funster No
Hi,

I have an LWB Ford Transit which used to be a minibus with 15 seats. I've taken all the seats out except the front 3 bench, hung some curtains, laid a chipboard floor and put in a Futon and a sideboard for storage. I haven't plumbed it in or anything like that, even electric hook up is just a cable passed out the door because I just intend to use it for occasional camping as well as a useful van for moving bulky stuff around (all personal, no business).

My problem is that van insurers don't recognise it as a van and campervan insurers don't recognise it as a campervan (nor would DVLA if I bothered to ask them) so I'm having trouble getting insurance that fits. any ideas ?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Ask if you can join the caravan club. You'll soon find out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
It sounds like a van carrying some personal items around so can you not use that as a guide for van insurance? And then if things change and you convert it more to be a camper then change it?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Insure as a normal panel van.
If you claim for total loss you will only get the current market value as a van but with a bit of chipboard and a futon you won't lose much

Without a LOT more work it will NEVER be a camper/motorhome.

Just realised it's an ex minibus and that will be on the V5 so no chance of insuring as anything else without a change of body type on the V5

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
^ what pappajohn said.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is that a problem? Every tenter uses much the same extension lead thrown out the tent

tents don't have a steel door that could trap and cut the cable, if that happened it is possible to make vehicle body live.. which they won't know about until they step out and touch the ground while holding the van body , the site EHU RCD may trip.. but. that would depend on whether the van was earthed and the earth loop impedance back to the site RCD .. or if someone walks up to the van while it is 'live' and touches the door handle..

we don't know what, if any, protection is going to be used in the van.. for all these reasons I would say yes, it's a problem and why we have IEE Regulations to protect people

also proprietary tent hook-up cables have an RCD protected socket, in saying that, personally I wouldn't have 240v in a tent .. RCD or not

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
First tell dvla its a van , then when that has been done and you have a new V5 it will be on system as a van when you give reg number to ins co for a quote , they will then be prepared to cover you as a van .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You need to inform the DVLA that you have removed the seats permanently and show the holes have been blocked up, which you have done by adding a chipwood floor . Then how many seats are left fitted including driver.

Give them written confirmation of these changes and provide photos to back it up.

It can then be re-classed as a car, not a van..

That's my understanding..

here is the guidance

How to update your V5C
Mark any changes on section 7 of your V5C and sign it. Send it to DVLA with any necessary evidence.

If the change isn’t listed in section 7, fill in section 4 of your V5C and send it to DVLA with evidence and a letter explaining the change.

Where to send your V5C
Send your V5C to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DZ if you changed any of the following:

• engine size (cc)
  • fuel type
  • weight of a goods vehicle
  • number of seats on a bus
For all other changes, send your V5C to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.

What happens next
DVLA will contact you to:

• confirm the change or tell you if it needs an inspection
  • tell you if the change means you have to pay more vehicle tax
It can take up to 2 to 4 weeks to get a replacement certificate if you apply by post.

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/how-to-tell-dvla

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Dont think it can be classed as a car as its a van ? Pics will show that up straightaway JMHO

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Send V5 to DVLA with photo of interior & exterior & covering letter - ask for van with windows & 3 seats. Then wait for their response you may be lucky & all goes well or they may ask for further details. After dealings with DVLA I wish you luck.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Might be an idea to insulate your 'van' as it will be very cold at nights and very warm in summer days.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Welcome and join our club then discuss at length:welcome4:

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I would contact DVLA as said and check what's involved as present it would need a class 7 Mot and the GVW I should think will be over 3500 kg .

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
2 posts 30 replies wonder if he will be back ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back