I have seen the light.. Bye Bye Trumpet !!! (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well that lasted a long time didn't it !
Rode it for about 2 weeks and then stood it up. Total of 640 miles on the clock.
Gone.... Put in PX agin a 65 plate BMW R1200GS TE which I collect Thursday the 12th.

The bike was not that bad, but I just could not stand the firm. Triumph are selling well world wide at the moment and it show in their customer care.. do not give a stuff
Absolutely awful company... And talk about penny pinching !

Triumph ? Never ever again

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No point in hanging on if it's not ticking the boxes.

Hope the mega complex beemer does it for you. When do you go on the programming course ?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No point in hanging on if it's not ticking the boxes.

Hope the mega complex beemer does it for you. When do you go on the programming course ?
You think the gs is complex ? Take a test ride on the trumpet !! there are three actions to take just to adjust the electronic screen !
I will leave it to your imagination what it takes to set up the suspension and engine tune point :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You think the gs is complex ? Take a test ride on the trumpet !!

No thank you, too huge. For me little is lovely though I do yearn for a Tracer700 for a bit more grunt.

Grunt I don't need.
Grunt I don't need.
Grunt I don't need.
I do not need more grunt.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm fine. Honest I'm fine. Don't worry about me.

OK so I could not keep up with Jaws riding a Wing round the hairpins of the Brenner Pass. But he's a pro nutter.

God knows what he'll be like on the GS.

Grunt I don't need.
Grunt I don't need.
Grunt I don't need.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
tell you what Brian, what you need is a bit of grunt.....

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
TBF I think that's a bit harsh on Triumph.
I will declare an interest straight away and say I do a lot of work for them and have owned several, including my current 15 plate Trophy.
Whilst you may not have got on with the Explorer, to say they don't "give a stuff" and "penny pinching" is unfair and IMHO untrue. Not sure what the issues were (dealer or manufacture?) but I have seen from the sharp end how far the company will go to make sure the customer is happy. It has been known for JSB to get involved directly and "sort" any issues the customer has had... yes on the old 1200 the screen wasn't as easy to move as pushing one button but the nature of the beast is more toys equals more complex menus etc. The GS is a lovely bike but when I rode one recently with the "Ipad screen" it wasn't exactly easy to change the options. On a KTM 1290 a few months ago it took me ages to turn the heated seat off... and don't ask how long it took to reset trip one on a MT09...
Triumph make great bikes and sell loads, which is great. I am sorry if you have had a bad experience but they do give a stuff.... a very large stuff.
BTW the new 1200 & 800 have the new TFT screen which is VERY easy to navigate...
Enjoy the GS and I am sorry the Explorer wasn't for you.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Good choice, when I still had bikes I bought a standard GS then two GSAs.

Absolutely awesome bikes, 500 mile day on more than one occasion without problems.

The most reassuring bike I ever rode in the wet too.

UKGSER used to be a good forum for info etc but probably 3 or 4 years since I subscribed...

Enjoy the new bike

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I'm fine. Honest I'm fine. Don't worry about me.

OK so I could not keep up with Jaws riding a Wing round the hairpins of the Brenner Pass. But he's a pro nutter.

God knows what he'll be like on the GS.

Grunt I don't need.
Grunt I don't need.
Grunt I don't need.
Sounds like you should join crumpygunt.com:rolleyes:

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I just adore my 1200 gs, recently clocked up 65k, if there is a better all round bike out there I’ve yet to see it, I’m sure the two of you will be very happy together.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not sure what the issues were (dealer or manufacture?)

As sated .. the manufacturer.. The dealer(s) were great... But two dealers I have spoke to subsequently said they are gonna get away from Triumph because ( guess what ! ) they are sick and tired of dealing with a firm that behaves like it is skint.. A direct quote from one place and something similar from the second

Good choice, when I still had bikes I bought a standard GS then two GSAs.

Absolutely awesome bikes, 500 mile day on more than one occasion without problems.

The most reassuring bike I ever rode in the wet too.

UKGSER used to be a good forum for info etc but probably 3 or 4 years since I subscribed...

Enjoy the new bike

This will be my seventh boxer.. All GS's.
1100 ( very very briefly )
1200 ( 04 )
1200 ( 07 air head )
1200 ( 07 air head)
1200 (16 water cooled )

I do like doing big miles... Done Lake Garda a few times in one hit ( only when I am on my own...... When a few of us go it is a two day jobby )
I have done Aberdeen and back home to Norfolk in 19 hours
Went from here to Liverpool for an egg burger once.. ate it and came home :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Never ridden the Triumph.

Took a new GS out a while ago, dealer demonstrator so loaded, and I have to say I hated it.

It's that boxer engine, just not for me in any way shape or form.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I know nothing about motor bikes but was impressed by 2 German guys that camped next to us last year, both on GS's and both had done over 160k km's each. We couldn't believe just how much stuff they pulled out of those Alu boxes.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Never ridden the Triumph.

Took a new GS out a while ago, dealer demonstrator so loaded, and I have to say I hated it.

It's that boxer engine, just not for me in any way shape or form.

I would be first in the queue to agree with you.
They seem very agricultural to start off with.... But believe me, a week and a 1000 miles or so and they do tend to do a 'roses'.. they grow on you !

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Having had a couple of GSAs from new in years gone by (circa 2007 & 2010 I think), have BMW now addressed the issue of engine cases corroding badly? It really annoyed me, despite the bikes being professionally treated with ACF50 at regular intervals.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
As sated .. the manufacturer.. The dealer(s) were great... But two dealers I have spoke to subsequently said they are gonna get away from Triumph because ( guess what ! ) they are sick and tired of dealing with a firm that behaves like it is skint.. A direct quote from one place and something similar from the second

Dealers always want more margin & Triumph (along with all the others) need to sell more metal so the dealer will always want more money. However... and it is a big HOWEVER any dealer should not be saying that about any brand to a punter. Bad mouthing the hand that supplies you is a simple way to make the customers unsure and loose the dealership, very unprofessional. I guess a multi brand dealer, maybe wanted to sway you onto another product that had more cash in it? Triumph are very supportive of supportive dealers... maybe they get less dosh due to the attitude...I would give a penny to a dealer that slagged the brand off!
Looks like you enjoy the GS range, as I said nice bikes enjoy the new one but please don't trust all the dealer says... they may not be telling the truth.
Glad to find another Iron Butt... longest run I did was Barcelona to home in one hit, 1050 miles, in Feb, on a Street Triple and for some reason people think I am mad :D2 Left @ 08:30 local and arrived about 03:00 local, didn't take me long to get to sleep...
Keep it sunny side up.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I probably rode ten GSs as loan bikes, never really gelled with the air cooled version. We bought an RT which has to all intents and purposes the same engine and chopped it in after a year and 6000 miles. Eventually I traded my F800GS and Multistrada for a 2016 GSA TE and it’s a revelation.

My experience of Triumph is they are cheaply built compared with the BMW, my friend has an 800 Tiger bought after my F800GS, it suffered from corrosion and shitty switchgear far too quickly. But as with many marques the dealer makes the difference, the closest one is at best shoddy, the guys in Swindon far better.

I’ve tried most makes, but BMWs are less prone to problems and have a far more extensive dealer network in Europe and beyond, which is important to me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back