Stealing!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Dawnbreak

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Not as yet
I cannot for the life of me understand people/persons who steal from motorhomes on dealership forecourts. We went looking at the weekend at a lovely independant dealership, we had some questions so asked the saleschap to come and talk to us. He was showing us the fridge and noticed that the door hold was missing..."stolen as usual" he said......a bit of plastic. Are they that hard up, I mean MH'S aren't cheap to buy and run and I personally think that if one can afford to, then we/they are priveleged in being able to...but to steal things:Eeek:
What the hell is the matter with people, it really makes my blood boil, he then went on to tell us that the dealership has ÂŁ20,000 aside each year for bits and pieces/parts stolen....

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Like you, I have never understood this behaviour. Pure theft and vandalism.

I used to exhibit my car/caravan product at the Earls Court Caravan Show. The theft that went on there was just incredible. It was as if people went there just to steal and vandalise. And it wasn't restricted to the visiting public. The security staff had a lot to answer for. In 1989 I recall joining a queue outside the exhibition office on a Saturday morning. All of those of us in the queue had had stuff stolen during the night - in a locked exhibition hall. My video recorder/player and the promotional video was stolen, causing a huge inconvenience for that final day. One of the Motor Home manufacturers found that the motor bike that was on the rear carrier had just disappeared. That is not the sort of thing that can be spirited out of the building through the public access! An entire rack of outboard motors, worth tens of thousands, also went missing.

The hall management were unable to ask the police to search the basement because the unions threatened a walk-out if they suggested that it was the workers who were responsible. The outboard motor company, however, managed to get down to the basement and did a search. He reported that the basement was a maze of rooms, all full of conrtraband as far as he could tell. And he found his outboards and retrieved them. No police involvement despite notifying them.:Angry:

But, of course, it is the same in any retail operation. The amount set aside for "shrinkage" is an enormous sum that has to form part of the price we all pay for the goods.

Goldedition

Free Member
Apr 22, 2010
Funster No
Problem is, most don't see it as stealing
I manage a hotel, and damm, you would be supprised to see what is stolen

Some Hotels now print on their property eg "this ashtray was stolen at Hotel ***"
People are proud to show friends they stole towels at the AbuDabi Resort
We dont condemn stealing any more .....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The hall management were unable to ask the police to search the basement because the unions threatened a walk-out if they suggested that it was the workers who were responsible.

I came across this in Woolworths once. I was installing an automated stock check system. The tails of "wastage" were mind blowing. Thousands went missing every week and management did not have the balls to clamp down for fear of the workers. The stock check system was not used for long !

The tails from Ford at Halewood were legendary in the 60s. All Ford spares available at local pubs and even talk of whole cars being built over time.

And in here - how often is "dodgy" software and videos mentioned. I remember only last week mention of bit torrent Autoroute 10 being readily available.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
And in here - how often is "dodgy" software and videos mentioned. I remember only last week mention of bit torrent Autoroute 10 being readily available.

Yes, I made that comment, it's common knowledge that just about any piece of software is available from a torrent.. doesn't mean I condone or practice ..

It's the same as mp3 music , movies, videos etc .. hand on heart, is there anyone who hasn't got an illegal mp3 on their laptop ?

When I worked in a sandwich factory the same problem, whole sides of gammon, cheese, meat etc .. in fact just about anything edible grew legs..

I recall one Christmas we took delivery of a pallet load of smoked salmon for the festive menu, it was put in cold storage until required on the production line... come production date, not one pack could be found.. it had all swam away .. :Doh:

Brian mentioned Ford, I also worked at Dagenham during the early 90s, they had tight security, body and bag searches, but stuff just disappeared, batteries, wipers, suspension units, starters, alternators etc all went ..
It was so bad that they stopped fitting the car radios, instead they were only fitted at the dealers when a car was sold..

It's not confined to the shop floor, office staff steal stationary .. but many think it's only a perk of the job..

When I ran a pub we lost dozens of glasses every week .. one way or the other all has to be paid for..

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Whats the difference between stealing a carburettor from Ford and Downloading illegal music, movies, sat nav software etc etc.
Jim
:Smile:

Edit: Post answered above.

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
Whilst looking around for a new (or at least new to me) M/H I quickly became aware of the bulbs, knobs, handles, etc., that are commonly stolen. Most M/H s I looked at had something missing.

However, whilst looking at one (I can't remember which one) I noticed that the sink panel was removed and the complete ZIG unit was missing. I pointed this out to the salesman and he said " Yes, we know, and we know who did it" I asked him who and he replied " The workshops, they needed one urgently for a customer!" and we had a laugh.

Hallii

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Speaking to staff John Cross Motorhomes, they reported similar stories. I was going to Post John Cross Lost his knob in Peterborough!:ROFLMAO:

When I worked in the finance industry, we had delivered a LARGE photocopier, the one the size of a car and that 'walked'..

My friend who is an ex-fireman tells a tale of stuff being pinched from tenders and the sad bit is that they wont work on anything else! Apparently.

Stunning.

ShiftZZ

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ring any Bells
Not condoning just explaining

Customer
Can I have a fridge door retainer please
Trader
sorry we will have to order one:Doh:
Customer Ok how much and how long

Trader
Oh its only a bit of plastic about ÂŁ60 we should have one here by the end of the year

Thats providing to can find anyone interested enough and it hasnt gone out of production in the 6 months since you bought your new motor home
Now you now why ther'e nicked

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Plastic

Broke my slider off the fridge that is mentioned in the original post Asked Marquis for a replacement Cost ÂŁ18 as they have to replace the whole item!! That's why people nick them.
The manufacturer needs to make the slider a bit more robust but I dare say they are not too bothered as it generates an income.
Marqius are looking at getting me a replacement slider when I put it in for its Habitation check in June!!I hope:Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I now know who's been stealing em
but I'm sworn to secrecy:RollEyes:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
It is the little things that cost,my grand daughter broke a hinge on the freezer compartment it cost around ÂŁ16 or there abouts an immersion heater at home you can buy for around 20 quid look how much you have to pay for the 240 volt heater unit for your little fridge in the mh it`s around 35 quid I suppose it is not so much the cost but the aggravation it causes.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i reckon i know the answer.....

parts like the fridge catch probably wont be stocked by dealers so when you go for one the reply will be "no, not in stock but we can get one in for you.....take about 15 weeks and will be wrong when it arrives"

parts readily available on the dealers forcourt will be a big temptation.

still waiting for a simple roof vent fly screen for a CI Carrioca after 5 years (warranty) from Barons York. :Doh:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Two identical Rapido 779M's both with all the tops of the hob gas jets missing, door catch missing on shower cupboard, Thetford chemical push switch missing, just a hole and two cut wires.................

And thats only two vans out of 40 odd for them to rob. We now keep all the vans locked on the lower forecourt as we cannot easily see whats happening down there.

To add insult to injury, 8 cat converters cut off over night from new vans.

Peter

PS Last time I looked knob was OK!

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
"PS Last time I looked knob was OK! "

Glad about that, Peter, suggest you nail it down. That'll learn 'em!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I must put up my hands and admit ... I nicked something. :Blush:

I tried to do it stealthily but was caught red handed .... :Doh:

.... 2 sweeties from Dave Newell's stand ... suitably chastised by Jacqui. ::bigsmile:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Problem is, most don't see it as stealing
I manage a hotel, and damm, you would be supprised to see what is stolen

Some Hotels now print on their property eg "this ashtray was stolen at Hotel ***"
People are proud to show friends they stole towels at the AbuDabi Resort
We dont condemn stealing any more .....

We have stayed at your hotel Guy and left only with memories of a delightful unique hotel.

Goldedition

Free Member
Apr 22, 2010
Funster No
We have stayed at your hotel Guy and left only with memories of a delightful unique hotel.

Aww thanks Lenny, think i can post a link here ? we do have space for a few MH on the parking :roflmto::roflmto:

Its just to show how relative stealing is.
Spare parts are hard to get, so i steal them, yeah right
money is hard to get too
so we are allowed to steal ?

No one is ashamed to confess how many glasses they have stolen from the local pub when they were young
No one is ashamed to show towells stolen from the resort they visited
No one is ashamed to make an extra lunchpack from the breakfast buffet

So why be ashamed to steal some spare parts from the neigbour on the MH parking ......
If you are caught, you will not be hanged

its something that you just DONT, there is never a good reason

My sons bicycle was stolen some years ago, so I thought to give him a good lesson and let him go to the local police station to report theft.
The police officer laughed and said "Stolen ? really ? go steal one yourself !"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back