Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Hello again,

I know it's a bit of a long shot, but doe's anyone know if this road is suitable to take the motor-home over? We are heading up to Scourie next month going up the A9 then A836 etc. Auto-route wants to take me over the B1976 just below Alness on the A9, to link up with the A836 it doe's cut off a big loop of the A9 but as I'm quite new to Motor-home driving :Eeek: I wondered if anyone have travelled it before. The motor-home isn't massive just short of 19ft Transit based. Any advice much appreciated.

billmac

Free Member
Apr 17, 2010
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8 years
Looking at google earth street view it has a white line down the middle so it might be worth a go. Try looking at street view over all its path.

bill

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Thanks Bill, keep forgeting about all this new technology.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spiritsfree

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
Sandy, Beds.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You won`t have any problems on this road.......taken it many times in the old motorhome, and that was only 19ft......it`s the scenic route :thumb::thumb:

Enjoy

Geoff

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Are you sure you don't mean the B9176?

If so , it looks ok, only a country lane but quiet, just right for a potter.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
"it`s the scenic route"

"Scenic" as in difficult?

spiritsfree

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
Sandy, Beds.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks, billmac, spiritsfree, spacerunner, imprint, I think I'll give it a go.

John

You should do Golly_J. Not only will it take miles off of your journey, but it will also be quiet and get you slowly into the wilds of that part of Scotland..and on up to Lairg, and then Scorrie.

Honest, you have nothing to worry about on this road at all. I think we`ve taken this route about 6 times up to one of our wilding spots by Loch Shinn, past Lairg.

Enjoy, you may see us in the Dethleffs, as we`re up there too...this time with 24ft.

Safe journeys,:thumb:

Geoff

Dingray

Free Member
Dec 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
CB
Exp
Since 2000
Hello again,

I know it's a bit of a long shot, but doe's anyone know if this road is suitable to take the motor-home over? We are heading up to Scourie next month going up the A9 then A836 etc. Auto-route wants to take me over the B1976 just below Alness on the A9, to link up with the A836 it doe's cut off a big loop of the A9 but as I'm quite new to Motor-home driving :Eeek: I wondered if anyone have travelled it before. The motor-home isn't massive just short of 19ft Transit based. Any advice much appreciated.

Hi Golly, You should have no problems with the M/H on this road, its a good shortcut to Bonar Bridge, just don't rush it. I use this route for a scenic run from home to Lairg and across to Laxford Bridge and on up to Durness.
As you drop down to Bonar Bridge make sure you have your camera available, there is a large layby on the righthand side with brilliant scenery all round.
Remember it is a single-track road from Lairg to the west coast so allow time. You have no need to rush anywhere up here, just take it easy and enjoy the peace and quiet of the Highlands. Ray

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
You should do Golly_J. Not only will it take miles off of your journey, but it will also be quiet and get you slowly into the wilds of that part of Scotland..and on up to Lairg, and then Scorrie.

Honest, you have nothing to worry about on this road at all. I think we`ve taken this route about 6 times up to one of our wilding spots by Loch Shinn, past Lairg.

Enjoy, you may see us in the Dethleffs, as we`re up there too...this time with 24ft.

Safe journeys,:thumb:

Geoff

Cheers Geof
I will be travelling up in convoy with one of my sons who will be in his car. I have dusted off my old CB radios from the 80's to keep in touch, I will be on channel 19 if anyone has their "ears on".

can't wait to get started.

John :Smile:

niblue

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C-class
Exp
I've been over the B9176 (in the car though, not in the motorhome) and it'll be fine. You'll be on much narrower roads at times on the west coast.

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I've been over the B9176 (in the car though, not in the motorhome) and it'll be fine. You'll be on much narrower roads at times on the west coast.

Hi, I'm just back, the road was fine, as you say some of the A roads were a lot narrower. Had fantastic time.

spiritsfree

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
Sandy, Beds.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi, I'm just back, the road was fine, as you say some of the A roads were a lot narrower. Had fantastic time.

Pleased to hear it Golly_j.....we must have passed you on route from Durness down the West Coast.Were you on the Camp site there ??

Geoff

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Pleased to hear it Golly_j.....we must have passed you on route from Durness down the West Coast.Were you on the Camp site there ??

Geoff

Hi Geoff

We stayed at Scourie, drove up to Blairmore for the day to walk to Sandwood Bay which is fantastic, then down to Arisaig. Stayed at Invercaimbe site, right on the beach(see photo), then home via a night at Loch Lomond.

John

Attachments

• 005small.jpg
    005small.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 8

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries