LIFE MEMBER
Dec 15, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrailTribute620
Exp
Since 1999
I've been looking at purchasing a drone with camera attached, but not sure which is the best one.
I would like something thats easy to use, one that will automatically return to base when the battery gets low, and around about a 10 or more flight time.
Any comments would be appreciated, as i'm a bit of a numpty on this.

OP
OP
Gadget

Gadget

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 15, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrailTribute620
Exp
Since 1999
Is the GoPro Karma any good? They go for around £800 on Ebay with the Hero 6 camera and image stable stick.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I have a Hubsan 501ss. Great for learning to fly and has a built in camera. Which one to purchase really depends on the quality of the video you require.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
I have 2, a Yuneec Typhoon and a DJI spark. Since buying the Spark I haven't used the Typhoon. Size is everything and the Spark can go anywhere with you. If you get the flymore pack it comes with a "man bag" that holds the Spark, 3 extra batteries and the controller. Smaller than most ladies handbags... 10-15 mins a battery and some fantastic video / still shots from it. Incredibly stable even in gusty 25 knot winds. Fantastic bit of kit that takes up no space. Easy ish to fly as long as you have an idea of what you are doing and learn in a big open space, collision avoidance going forward and down (not upwards and reverse) and return to home when going flat. Which you need to be careful of as it can take a direct route which may have obstacles, but tbh if you keep an eye on the display it tells you how far from home it is in time and how long you have left of the battery. Cracking bit of kit! Saundersfoot harbour last year, if I can get a link to some video I will post it.
DJI_0072.JPG

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Here you go.

It's a slightly rough edit but you can get the idea, the shots of Carew Castle were done on a very windy day. Look at the speed of the wind turbine at the back of the view.
Raw footage is better than the youtube stuff... looks real good on our 55" TV ;-)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's a slightly rough edit......

He lied !

That's as professional a video as I've ever seen, cuts dead in time with music.

Rock solid and good composition which shows how good you and the drone are.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Here you go.

It's a slightly rough edit but you can get the idea, the shots of Carew Castle were done on a very windy day. Look at the speed of the wind turbine at the back of the view.
Raw footage is better than the youtube stuff... looks real good on our 55" TV ;-)

Brilliant quality - well done Sir. (y)(y)

Richard.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
He lied !

That's as professional a video as I've ever seen, cuts dead in time with music.

Rock solid and good composition which shows how good you and the drone are.
Ha ha thank you.
I do the flying and filming, No 1 son does the editing as he is in to "media". When we are serious he comes along and views the camera and tells me the angle to set the shot up. Easier with him as I can concentrate on the flying.
Before someone else spots it..... the people walking across the beach are going to fast (he sped that bit up) and some of the shots are a but grainy as he rushed the rendering but it was only a quick film to show the views.
The Spark really is good for it's size and it can literally go anywhere with me. Launching the big one from the beach or a coastal is a real pain, too big, too heavy and the flight case needs a donkey to carry it ;-) Out the back of the car is no problem but when I am on my motorbike, pushbike or just walking it just isn't an option.
The Mavic is very tempting but quite a lot bigger and apart from 4k I don't really see the benefit against the extra size. The Typhoon is 4k and yes you can see the difference against 1080p but I ain't challenging David's shots on the Blue Planet ...;-)

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I just picket up a used DJI phantom 3 standard with 2 batteries for less than £300
Works great

OP
OP
Gadget

Gadget

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 15, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrailTribute620
Exp
Since 1999
I've not bought one yet, still looking at how to edit the footage afterwards, not sure if my skills are up to it.
Thanks for all the input, I'm sure I will get there in the end!

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Depending on what resolution you film in (4K?) you may find yourself having to buy a new computer for editing purposes too :rolleyes:

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
My son brought his DJI Spark home at Christmas. I was amazed how easy and precise it was to control around the living room. The video was superb. Then we took it outside in pretty strong winds. The wind was really buffeting it about with it hovering, but the stabilised video image was rock solid. Amazing!

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
It's an incredible piece of technology isn't it, the amount of mathematical calculations it must be doing per second, just to hover in one place.... amazing (y)

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Size is everything.

The VERY best drones technically are too large for the amateur to be bothered to carry (and I include the Phantoms in that category).

It's like the old adage, "The best camera is the one you have with you". You are most likely to carry a DJI Spark, DJI Air or DJI Mavic Pro. They all, quite literally, fit in a large coat pocket.
You can take these 3 on a Hike without really noticing them. The Phantoms are technically as good, or better (depending on the model), but you really don't want to carry them any distance.

I have a Mavic Pro and I think it's the best compromise between "professional video" and ease of carry. However for most people wanting the best bang for the buck I'd recommend the DJI AIR.
It's incredibly small and portable (the most important thing for most people) and does a lot of what the Mavic Pro does for a lower price.

The DJI Spark was a stop-gap product. It looks tiny but doesn't fold so its size is misleading. The AIR is amazingly tiny.

When I bought the Mavic Pro it was clearly the best compact Drone but it's no longer that clear. I don't regret buying it for a second but I may have been tempted by the AIR if I was buying today.

Here's a screen shot from my Mavic pro. We were on Hayling Island for a couple of days. The actual footage looks amazing. That's Portsmouth on the horizon.
hayling b.jpg

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Here's a short video from our stay at Hayling Island. It gives a good view of the Motorhome parking there.

Please Subscribe to the channel if you want to be alerted of more videos

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp

Went out this morning and took dome drone footage around Andover in Hampshire

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
@Go Humberto!
Could you recommend a decent drone, below professional standard but at the higher end of amateur.
I’m looking for ‘family’ grade video and stills, easy to fly with decent fly time
Emphasis on easy:)
Geoff

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Am I the only one who finds these things a gross invasion of privacy. If one flew over my garden I would shoot it down to hell with the shotgun licence!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Am I the only one who finds these things a gross invasion of privacy. If one flew over my garden I would shoot it down to hell with the shotgun licence!
Surely your actual shotgun would be more effective.

They can be a gross invasion of privacy, that's for sure.
It's like anything, they need to be used responsibly and SHOULD have been licensed from the moment they were made available to the public.
There are common sense rules for their use but which 14 year old with a new flying toy gives a damn about rules? It reminds me a lot of Kids using Air rifles improperly.

Anyone with a brain could have seen that they could become a menace (as well as weapon). Unfortunately having a brain rules out anyone in Government and now the horse has bolted, it's too late.

Hobby use will seem trivial when, in 10 years the sky will be full of parcel-delivery drones.

Tip - Buy shares in any company you see that starts selling cheap drone-jamming devices. Trust me...they'll be available soon (10 Downing Street and many other sensitive establishments already have them).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back