Norwich Camping and caravan club site (1 Viewer)

Eddie B

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
8 months
I don't know if this is the correct place to do this but here goes.
I am booked on the Norwich Camping and caravan club site and I see from google maps that the 2 access roads have bridges which say 10 ft 3 inch clearance..
However when I phoned the site I was told that the clearance is 2 foot more than that on Long John Lane. As my van is a Bessacarr E435 and 10ft 1 inch high I am somewhat concerned. Does anyone have any further knowledge.
I would appreciate any help.

Last edited:

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Having looked at the Norwich site a few times, and being faced with the same dilemma, I was intrigued enough to use Google Streetview to check.

Both bridges on the direct routes are (as highlighted in the guide) signed at 10ft 3in. Both are arched, and that on Long John Hill is a wide arch with significantly more clearance at the centre (see the markings on the link).

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...oid=7In44PF_lItLtrF78RTpHA&cbp=11,151.69,,0,5

You'll probably be OK, but if not, the next road to the West (Mansfield Lane) crosses over the railway on a bridge, and provides what looks like an unrestricted route through to the site (I followed it on Streetview, and would happily take my 'van down that route).

HTH

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Yes Eddie b is correct the route through Mansfield Lane misses the low bridges :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
We will take a drive for you later and check it out and report back. When is it you are coming down this way?

Dale

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
stayed here last year and took the other way in avoiding low bridge.
Good site, very convenient for Norwich centre.

OP
OP
Eddie B

Eddie B

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
8 months
We will take a drive for you later and check it out and report back. When is it you are coming down this way?

Dale
Thanks every body My number one son has told mum he is expecting me to prang it, with your help I will confound him. I won't tell him about all the spies in the organisation.

A bit short notice but I have booked next weekend. (3rd outing in 4 weeks).
Eddie B
:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I was intrigued enough to use Google Streetview to check.
HTH

Google Earth was mind changing. But Street View is another step up. Just incredible and an indredible waster of time. I spend hours looking at childhood haunts the other day.

And on a MH note it confirmed the awkward entrance to the Metz aire.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Stayed there the week before last and we have a Bessacarr E735 and it went under the bridge with no problem, the only thing I would suggest is stay in the middle of the bridge arch, don't move over if any vehicles approach let them stop.

We used the road junction with the sign for the caravan site at a set of traffic lights, the other road where the second bridge is looks a bit narrow to me ?.

Great little site very helpful wardens and you can walk into Norwich takes about 25/30 mins some of its uphill but not to bad a walk, you can also get a bus from near the traffic lights the wardens have all the details, we went to the pub near the site but didn't like it they have a sign showing that they provide meals but I didn't see any menu's and we only stayed for 1 pint, not our sort of pub ?

There are 2 rail lines either side of the site with frequent trains, but they didn't spoil our 3 nights.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
We went for a drive and we would drive down Mansfield Lane rather than risk pranging your vehicle or even coming head on with someone who wouldnt give way!! Our Roller Team is 10' high and Graham said he wouldnt navigate the bridge.

Whitlingham Broad isnt that far to walk from that site and a good walk round if you have a dog. Morrisons is a drive away near to Carrow Road, and if you dont fancy walking into Norwich you can take either the Harford or Postwick Park and Ride. What else do you intend to do or visit whilst down here? If you have any Q's let me know. I moved down here from West Yorkshire nearly 5 years ago.

Regards

Dale

OP
OP
Eddie B

Eddie B

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
8 months
Thanks again, must have known you were a Yorkshireman.
I will probably take the cautious approach I don't usually make plans about free time, too much organisation when working.
Eddie B

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Yorkshire woman with a unisex name and I have now re joined forum as me too, hubby doesnt post much unlike me. Enjoy Norfolk.

Dale

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Just noticed you seem to be into music, the pub just along from the site has what they call a "Jam session" twice a week, so it may be of interest, we didn't go but I thought I would mention it, enjoy yourselves

Thanks again, must have known you were a Yorkshireman.
I will probably take the cautious approach I don't usually make plans about free time, too much organisation when working.
Eddie B

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back