Pioneering Motorhomers. (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
There are loads of people doing it all the time , the routes change a lot depending on political situations .
Broken Link Removed

also the "HUBB"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What I should have said, is the route they took would be almost impossible now.

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Just watched it all the way through, brilliant photography. I love all the old truck videos of Middle East drivers etc and the pathe news transport related stuff. Thanks for putting it up .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just watched it all the way through, brilliant photography. I love all the old truck videos of Middle East drivers etc and the pathe news transport related stuff. Thanks for putting it up .

I am no photographer, but really enjoyed the photography. The narrator also did a good job as there are few films of that length I can sit through without moving on.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Very interesting - where did you find it? There are similar adventure holidays in South America over several months in comparable vehicles, with spades, ropes etc hanging off them. But this lot were very enterprising. However, if you can whip off and refurbish a cylinder head overnight, the world must be your oyster!! I particular enjoyed seeing the Renault Dauphine in Algiers! The guys were so self sufficient and inventive, and had very little support. They were brave to undertake the journey!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Very interesting - where did you find it? There are similar adventure holidays in South America over several months in comparable vehicles, with spades, ropes etc hanging off them. But this lot were very enterprising. However, if you can whip off and refurbish a cylinder head overnight, the world must be your oyster!! I particular enjoyed seeing the Renault Dauphine in Algiers! The guys were so self sufficient and inventive, and had very little support. They were brave to undertake the journey!

I just bumped into it on youtube. When you consider that the trip was almost 60 years ago it is incredible that they managed it. The world was a different place 60 years ago, but Africa was a million years away from what it is now. The troubles in central Africa had not begun and many of the roads were uncharted. It was not much use ringing a man that can if you had a breakdown in those days. The AA would have a hell of a job getting to you on a motorbike and sidecar.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Exactly Snowbird! I think I have traced the bloke who put the slide show together - he would be so interesting to talk to!! And also interesting that they all worked for de Havilland, so would have had lots of technical know how.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
What an amazing documentary, with such fabulous photos of a disappearing world that has become more violent and troubled.

It brought back memories from the 1960s of Kano old city (with its all-pervasive smell of tanneries you didn't get in this film). Also the distinctive Dogon village at about 27 minutes in. Dogons are a mysterious people because they knew about binary stars that are not visible to the naked eye. Not to be confused with Vogons, obviously.

I also saw the Fulani nomadic herdsmen with their longhorned cattle, pictured around wells. Nowadays the Fulani herdsmen carry AK47s and there are frequent firefights with Nigerian farmers who try to stop them crossing their lands along traditional grazing routes used for centuries. Many deaths, unreported by Western news media.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
How on earth did they manage without todays 'basic necessities'

NO Nespresso Machine (other coffee machines are available)
NO gas barbecue
NO plug in hair dryer

and I'm guessing there's no pumped shower either

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back