Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Link Removed

These amplifiers claim to be able to bring in wifi signals from miles away (literally). I love using other peoples bandwidth so am considering this one.

I know I could use a colander or fish frying basket but theLink Removedlooks a lot neater:Smile: Some forumgoers on a yank site say they can go from finding just 2 hotspots on a laptop and when they connect the repeatit, get upwards of 30 hotspots, many of which are free or unsecured! Sounds good, Has anyone used one.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
speak with jj Jim he has used one that a friend has and was on about getting his own, the company that produces them is in England. check the link below

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
no climbing on my roof please

I haven't had 5Km's , but a big improvement on my chinese chip strainer

word of warning though , these work on usb2 , and I have a problem because my ports are giving trouble , probably a fault on the computer , but could be because the power drain is on the high side and it cuts out because of overload , then get message plug into usb2

suffice it to say that I tried a friends dell , and it worked perfectly , but I didn't run it for too long in case it damaged his ports as well

my laptop [ a new acer ] will go back for repair [ still works as usb1 and 1.1 ] and will see what happens
my take is that the 500mA of usb 1/1.1/2.0 is marginal for this device ; in the final analysis I could plug a usb3 adaptor into the express card socket as this is rated at 900mA ...but that is yet another £50 or so , and why should I have to do this ?

incidentally , designed and manufactured in sweden , taiwan components undoubtedly

Attachments

• wifi 001.jpg
    wifi 001.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 60
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
How do you rotate that if its fixed on your roof?

I think you are right over the power requirements as they get fairly warm (well mine does) do it is likely maxing the power output. It is possible to get a dual USB cable thingie (which I have on some external HDD drives) where it pulls USB power from 2x ports though has data connected only to 1x.

USB 1x should also be 500mA though - so guess your laptop can be iffy. I have seen other makes (Dell) with USB ports that fail to provide maximum power.

edit: See http://www.aimtec.co.uk/addonics-online/dual-usb-inputs-power-cable.html - usual disclaimer that it may or may not work depending on your equipment blah blah

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
word of warning though , these work on usb2 , and I have a problem because my ports are giving trouble , probably a fault on the computer , but could be because the power drain is on the high side and it cuts out because of overload , then get message plug into usb2

suffice it to say that I tried a friends dell , and it worked perfectly , but I didn't run it for too long in case it damaged his ports as well

my laptop [ a new acer ] will go back for repair [ still works as usb1 and 1.1 ] and will see what happens
my take is that the 500mA of usb 1/1.1/2.0 is marginal for this device ; in the final analysis I could plug a usb3 adaptor into the express card socket as this is rated at 900mA ...but that is yet another £50 or so , and why should I have to do this ?

You could always try a USB cable with a supplementary power lead (if you have more than one USB socket). In theory delivers up to double the mA. Not guaranteed to work, but I have one of these for use with a USB powered external hard drive, and the DVD drive I got for use with the netbook came with one as standard - though on this you only need to use it if it won't power on a single connection.

Something like:

Link Removed

(Other suppliers exist)

HTH

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
it's fitted on the mast for the digital terrestrial aerial which sits on top as you can see ; this mast both lifts and rotates

I have had a double feed for some years , but would have to find some way of connecting 2 males together of course , probably exists but never seen one ; the alternative is the one in the link which is an extension with the female entry , but again , why should I have to do this ?

point is , careful thought is needed before investing in this excellent bit of kit !

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Jim, we have one of these:

Link Removed

What ever you spend on them they soon pay for themselves one way or another,:winky: we have been on a few sites in europe that only have wi fi on certain parts of the site with an Antenna you can park anywhere. ::bigsmile: With our one it takes a bit more effort walking around the van finding the right window.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Attachments

• Bobs Jan 2010 019.jpg
    Bobs Jan 2010 019.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 50

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
someone lent me one of those to try when I was looking to buy something

unfortunately it wasn't nearly as good as my chinese chip strainer/wifi dongle combination , so I returned it with thanks ; I think the main problem was that you can't mount it high up , and you had to use the laptop convenient to it

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim, we have one of these:

Link Removed

What ever you spend on them they soon pay for themselves one way or another,:winky: we have been on a few sites in europe that only have wi fi on certain parts of the site with an Antenna you can park anywhere. ::bigsmile: With our one it takes a bit more effort walking around the van finding the right window.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

We also have one of these.. found it great at the Lodge CL,

We were about 200mt from the wireless router that was inside the owners house, we were also behind tress and a brick outhouse.. without it there was no signal, with it we got full 5/5 signal .

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
someone lent me one of those to try when I was looking to buy something

unfortunately it wasn't nearly as good as my chinese chip strainer/wifi dongle combination , so I returned it with thanks ; I think the main problem was that you can't mount it high up , and you had to use the laptop convenient to it

Hi, maybe you had it facing out the wrong window.....:winky:::bigsmile:

We have not had a problem with ours, and very happy with it.:thumb: Had it about 2 years.
But then I haven't tried a chinese chip strainer.:RollEyes: :Smile: Bob.

Rainbowchaser

Free Member
Feb 27, 2010
Third rock from the sun
Funster No
MH
Err..A blue one
Exp
Hmnn...Quite a long time really...
thingamyjig

Had one for a few years now. Excellent bit of kit.
I can pick up secured/unsecured at least 3 miles away.
I either take the bracket off and stand it on the roof or clamp it to a pole and tie it to the door mirror mount so you can rotate it. Works on the MH pc and the lappie no problem.
:Smile:

johngee

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since July 2009
Link Removed

These amplifiers claim to be able to bring in wifi signals from miles away (literally). I love using other peoples bandwidth so am considering this one.

I know I could use a colander or fish frying basket but theLink Removedlooks a lot neater:Smile: Some forumgoers on a yank site say they can go from finding just 2 hotspots on a laptop and when they connect the repeatit, get upwards of 30 hotspots, many of which are free or unsecured! Sounds good, Has anyone used one.

I have one and it rocks.

Here in the land of suburban bungalows I can find 5 sources without, and 11 with, and that's just by placing it on the window sill. It's quite directional (70-80 degrees), but it's worth a bit of fiddling, like the directional TV aerials as opposed to the omin-directional ones.

Across open water I once connected to a source about 6 miles away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back