V5 registration document (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Well I bought the bike mid December and STILL haven't received the Registration Document. I've been ringing the dealership every week or so, a salesman has left and nobody knows what's happened to it. I don't even know if the bike is in my name.

I don't want to fill in a v62 as a £25 charge is incurred if you don't have the new keepers slip. I know it's not a huge amount but Why should I? It's their responsibility to let dvla know they've sold the bike. (pre registered by the way, I'm the second owner)

So what can I do? Anybody have any ideas? I've emailed the DVLA but I don't expect any useful outcome of that. I'll probably get some kind of platitude the computer spits out.

Thanks for reading :)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010

I don't like to be picky but the V5 or even the new keepers slip is not proof of ownership. It is merely a record of the registered keeper.

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
They delivered the bike and it never came with the new keepers slip. My bank statement shows I've paid for it and I have a printout receipt and visa card slip so no problem there.

Edit: The frame number is on the receipt

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@Richard and Ann Vehicle transfers with DVLA can now be done online. Why not ask the dealer to do the transfer online which will either go through or, if rejected, suggest that they did send off the V5 to DVLA. However, they will probably need the V5C reference number which most good dealers would have a copy of.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
phone the dvla you'll get a quicker answer as they'll look it up there & then & tell you if received change of ownership forms or not.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
They have been amiss not passing you the new keepers slip. Have you insured it yet?

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
phone the dvla you'll get a quicker answer as they'll look it up there & then & tell you if received change of ownership forms or not.
Did, got through once too(y) after selecting many options (most of them don't pertain to my exact situation) I end up at a dead end with the computer telling me to fill in a v62 :mad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the dealer won't play go and collect a few parking tickets....you'll soon see who's name is on the V5

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Was it paid for on a Visa Credit or Debit card? If it was credit get on to your bank and ask them to sort it out with the garage.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Get on to the garage, tell them to produce evidence of dealing with V5 or tell them to give you £25 so you can apply for a new V5.
If you have to apply via a V62, DVLA write to the last known owner for them to confirm sale so may be a wait.
I would still 'phone DVLA first to confirm current status, my son has a garage and he finds them extremely efficient and helpful, don't follow options.

By phone
DVLA vehicle registration enquiries
Telephone: 0300 790 6802
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Visa Debit.
Phoned the dealership again today the new salesman is now passing it off to his boss. I'll ring again tomorrow and suggest they apply for a new V5 online... But what if it's in my name now... I'would get a letter from DVLA asking if I've sold the bike!
I"m leaning towards just paying the £25 and filling in a v62.
The dealership is M&P at Swansea, useless ****wits!

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Get on to the garage, tell them to produce evidence of dealing with V5 or tell them to give you £25 so you can apply for a new V5.
If you have to apply via a V62, DVLA write to the last known owner for them to confirm sale so may be a wait.
I would still 'phone DVLA first to confirm current status, my son has a garage and he finds them extremely efficient and helpful, don't follow options.

By phone
DVLA vehicle registration enquiries
Telephone: 0300 790 6802
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm
Rang that number, only got through once and it was automated. If only there was an option to wait 2 hours and speak to a human :unsure:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes I insured it so they could tax it. It is taxed I checked but in who's name? I know tax isn't transferable now.
It is insured in your name. They cannot insure it anyones name except who is on the policy. If it was in their name they would have had to use there own policy.Then as soon as the V5 was registered in your name the tax would have been cancelled & a refund supplied to the dealer as they would then expect it to be taxed by you. So the fact that it is taxed means that it must be in your name , as would be the V5 if you had one. My bet is it is either lost in the post or the dealer hasn't sent there bit in. I'd go foor the former.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
It is insured in your name. They cannot insure it anyones name except who is on the policy. If it was in their name they would have had to use there own policy.Then as soon as the V5 was registered in your name the tax would have been cancelled & a refund supplied to the dealer as they would then expect it to be taxed by you. So the fact that it is taxed means that it must be in your name , as would be the V5 if you had one. My bet is it is either lost in the post or the dealer hasn't sent there bit in. I'd go foor the former.

Use this, as Gus Lopez says, if taxed it will be in your name, regrettably you still have to obtain a V5.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

tax.JPG

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Right, DVLA have replied to my email. There is no record of the bike being in my name, but it is taxed, ending next December. So it looks like the salesman taxed it in the dealerships name and lost the V5.

I need to fill in a v62 pay £25 and then tax it in my name. The dealership will get a refund of the road tax they paid. I'll ring them yet again tomorrow.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Right, DVLA have replied to my email. There is no record of the bike being in my name, but it is taxed, ending next December. So it looks like the salesman taxed it in the dealerships name and lost the V5.

I need to fill in a v62 pay £25 and then tax it in my name.
The dealership will get a refund of the road tax they paid. I'll ring them yet again tomorrow.
NO, NO, NO, they need to sort it and pay, NOT YOU !

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
NO, NO, NO, they need to sort it and pay, NOT YOU !
Yes I'll tell them tomorrow, they send me a cheque for £65 and I'll sort it all my end.

Thinking about it, the salesman probably got sacked. Imagine working at a car/bike dealership and not knowing the procedure to sell a vehicle. Spectacular incompetence.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I bought a new pre registered panel van to do my self build, it took 12 months to get the V5 from them, it turned out that they bought them from Peugeot at a cheap rate on the proviso that they hired them out for a year before selling.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes I'll tell them tomorrow, they send me a cheque for £65 and I'll sort it all my end.

Thinking about it, the salesman probably got sacked. Imagine working at a car/bike dealership and not knowing the procedure to sell a vehicle. Spectacular incompetence.

I'd also be asking what recompense they will be supplying due to the fact that the bike will be worth less as it would now appear that you are the THIRD owner ? What a shambles.
It really needs the dealer sorting this with the dvla so as to remove themselves from the logbook so that you are the second owner.

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Rang this morning ready to tell them exactly how we're going to do it, and while I was on the phone they found the V5! (or so they said:cautious:) he's going to transfer it on line and also tax it in my name, should be all sorted in a few days.

Looking online they get some shocking customer services reviews :eek:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Rang this morning ready to tell them exactly how we're going to do it, and while I was on the phone they found the V5! (or so they said:cautious:) he's going to transfer it on line and also tax it in my name, should be all sorted in a few days.

Looking online they get some shocking customer services reviews :eek:
If they have the V5 then it's an old one, but if a new one then it was registered to them to be able to tax it, because it had to be registered to someone and it wasn't you.
Did you look up the reg on the DVLA link I sent to you? If so, what did it say?

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If they have the V5 then it's an old one, but if a new one then it was registered to them to be able to tax it, because it had to be registered to someone and it wasn't you.
Did you look up the reg on the DVLA link I sent to you? If so, what did it say?
Yes it's taxed until December. Why they taxed it god knows. Will be in their name as the bike is preregistered. I'll be the 2nd owner.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back