Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
I've just updated the AVG on one of our PC's to AVG 9 and it's killed the computer:cry: it won't do anything, won't load anything up, won't let me uninstall AVG, nothing, nowt, zilch:cry:

Mr Blisters ain't happy.

HELP

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if it will boot up try starting in safe mode, on mine its F8 but yours may be different, then opt for 'Last known good configuration'.

this should reboot to the last shutdown time.

if it still wont work you can use 'system restore' or uninstall programs in safe mode.

worth a try :thumb:

OP
OP
Blisters

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Have started in Safe mode and managed to uninstall AVG. Fingers crossed it seems to be OK now.

Cheers for that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I stumbled across MSE by accident, downloaded it and its spot on. I bet a lot of people dont know its there. It must have come through on a routine update.

Jim
:Smile:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
If you have on line banking then you may be entitled to free AV software, so check. :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have started in Safe mode and managed to uninstall AVG. Fingers crossed it seems to be OK now.
Cheers for that.

I've got AVG9 on all my computers, it's very good. Give it another go.

Only tweak I do is turn off automatic updates on the dongle machine or else every time I first it up it effectively dies whilst AVG takes all the bandwidth. No problem on broadband.

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I've had a similar problem and have uninstalled AVG and the Zone Alarm firewall. I've replaced it with Comodo as this has an integrated firewall.

I presume Microsoft Essentials previously mentioned relies on the standard Windows firewall and I am unsure whether this is such a good idea.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We had problems with AVG 9, though not as bad as yours
Graham

Isn't it strange.

Same windows, same AVG so it's what else is running on folks computers.

Now I come to think of it, I did turn off it's predictive scanning of websites. That seemed a waste of bandwidth.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Isn't it strange.

Usually where the answer is.

I run AVG 9 with no problems. Certainly does the job ok for me anyway and i've used AVG for the past three years. Yes there are lots more out there and everyone believes whatever they have is the dogs wotsits and you should get the same as them. Personally it's down to what suits each individual.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Isn't it strange.

Now I come to think of it, I did turn off it's predictive scanning of websites. That seemed a waste of bandwidth.

Usually where the answer is.

I run AVG 9 with no problems. Certainly does the job ok for me anyway and i've used AVG for the past three years. Yes there are lots more out there and everyone believes whatever they have is the dogs wotsits and you should get the same as them. Personally it's down to what suits each individual.

Good points. Some time before uninstalling I turned off predictive scanning because it was slowing things down. There was also a conflict with Windows Defender which required some action which I can't recall now.

Main problem, though, was on one of the desktop machines where it played havoc with bringing in e-mail after one particular regular update (other desktop had already switched to MSE). It could well just have been that there was a glitch which affected (only) the Eudora e-mail client at that time and that might well have been fixed by now (don't know because we switched to MSE on that machine as well).

Graham

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Another point worth mentioning is whatever AV prog your choice is, always install it first on reformatting, and then pile all your various software on after.

I used to run with ZA. Good AV but once when reformatting a drive I forgot to load it in first and as a result it never worked right. That was the first time I tried AVG and i've used it ever since.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back