Travelling on local buses with a small disability scooter. (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Our local bus company is not the best at allowing Sue on with her scooter and me as carer. It's about the same size as a power chair. Have any Funsters been denied access to a bus because of their scooter? Has the space for a wheel chair been taken up with prams etc. This is not a rant at bus companies, rather a bit of research. Thanks.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Worth a call to the local bus company and check their policy? It could be up to driver discretion.

Personally I think it's unfair if it's a similar size to a wheel chair. Parents should fold up their pushchairs like we used years ago.

Denise

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Been refused on to a bus in Spain, normal small wheelchair.... bus even had wheelchair access, driver just said no, shut door and drove off...

Even I don’t think I’m that ugly....

Joking aside, I don’t normally use public transport but this was the first time I’d been refused..... I was a bit peeved..:mad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just come out of Valencia. There is a General policy in Spain about dogs on Public Transport. Something to do with size. The dog has to be carried (not in a buggy). Saw a German guy with a specifically designed carrier that he had over his shoulder.

Why he would want to subject the dog to all the firecrackers in Valencia during Fallas is another matter.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Our local bus company is not the best at allowing Sue on with her scooter and me as carer. It's about the same size as a power chair. Have any Funsters been denied access to a bus because of their scooter? Has the space for a wheel chair been taken up with prams etc. This is not a rant at bus companies, rather a bit of research. Thanks.

There was something in the news recently, following the debacle where mother refused to fold down a pushchair to allow a wheelchair into the space.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...s-uk-enhanced-rights-bus-travel-supreme-court

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Our Local Bus Company, First,
Mobility Scooters Code

Requirements for Users of Mobility Scooters
First Bus follows the CPT code for the use and acceptance of Mobility Scooters on low-floor buses.

The Confederation of Passenger Transport UK (CPT) is recognised by Government as the voice of the bus, coach and light rail industries, and the focus for consultation on national and international legislation, local regulations, operational practices and engineering standards. www.cpt-uk.org

All users of mobility scooters who are prospective passengers must obtain prior approval of operators and obtain a standard “permit for travel” prior to their scooter being carried on any bus.

Operators must ensure that Mobility Scooter users have their scooter assessed and approved as suitable for carriage on their vehicles. This approval needs to cover both the design of the scooter and the ability of the user to control and manoeuvre it safely.

Mobility scooter users must be assessed and receive on-bus training from the operator before travelling on the bus for the first time.

Read More
https://www.firstgroup.com/bus-accessibility/mobility-scooters-code

Training scheme

For further information or to arrange a training session to obtain a 'permit for travel' please contact us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
The rules, sorry guidance for drivers when I was on the buses were that the scooter had to be able to spin round in its own length so the passenger doesn't have to reverse down the ramp( after a nasty accident when the scooter flipped over backwards) also some scooter drivers were doing a three point turn on the bus injuring others. Then there's trying to evacuate the bus in an emergency. I did have a wheelchair stuck on the platform with flat batteries, nearly caused a riot with all those behind him having to climb over the seats it took an hour and a half to sort that out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back