LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi All you wonderful and knowledgeable people “right that’s got the creeping out of the way”

I am in the process of re-insuring my Motor Home at the moment I’m with Adrian Flux.

I’m looking for a company who will allow me to be abroad more than 90 days and allows me more than 6000 millage a year. I’ve looked through some insurance threads but without reading War & Peace I can’t find anything to do with these two terms I want.

I know some people must get them as they go to Spain for 4 or 5 months at a time.

Also the last one, it has to be cheap LOL, Now that’s a contradiction in terms when talking about Motorhome Insurance.

Many Thanks Tony

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Have a look at Caravan and Motorhome Club. Can't remember exact details but I think from memory they will meet most if not all of what you are looking for. One thing I cannot comment on is price, we all know there is no rhyme or reason to how that is calculated. But CMC is the best for my needs and very competitive price.
Worth having a look, good luck.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Safeguard give me 365 days European cover and unlimited mileage. For me, they were also one of the cheapest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We’ve just renewed with a Caravan and a Motorhome Club ....we fully expected the price to rocket as last year was on a special deal but it’s actually gone down in price:)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Comfort, and they can supply breakdown cover

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Yes - Safeguard - 365 - unlimited miles including breakdown cover all Europe :)

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Do you know if any of the above repatriate your vehicle if neccesary, and do they do NCD as Adrian Flux does not.
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
This is the sort of insurance quote I like
Quote.jpg

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
Safeguard for me, I have had 3 breakdowns and a new windscreen In the past 8 years and the premiums have never increased.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
never had a sensible quote from AIB or caravan clubs

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
As I said no rhyme or reason with regard to price, far to many variables. The only constant being the provision of cover and policy limitations the price will vary greatly between us all.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been with Comfort for 8 years for us £200 cheaper than Safeguard. 365 day cover but if you are abroad for more than 9 months they want you to take out full time cover.
Require an alarm or tracker over £40k or a tracker over £75k value, windscreen limited to £3k, breakdown cover is approx £60.
They don't have NCD but have a net policy so you start at the best price.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
That’s because you asked for Business use, try Social, Domestic and Pleasure and you’ll get a realistic figure. Just renewed mine with them, £40k value £285.(y)
Today I've just received a quote from Comfort for £527 and it has been said each have their own problems, illnesses, poor post code regions, where you store your vehicle, it goes on and on so there is no way we could expect me or anyother person to get the same price unless we were twins lived in the same house had the same vehicle you get the picture.
Best Wishes Tony

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Today I've just received a quote from Comfort for £527 and it has been said each have their own problems, illnesses, poor post code regions, where you store your vehicle, it goes on and on so there is no way we could expect me or anyother person to get the same price unless we were twins lived in the same house had the same vehicle you get the picture.
Best Wishes Tony
Blimey you must live in a dodgy area.:rofl:

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi All
I have just had a quote from Camping and Caravan Club for over £1000 needless to say I'm not going with them,

I then went to Comfort which came in at £520 without unlimited maillage but 7500miles a year.

I have now just got a quote from Safeguard and it has come in at £457.21 which includes UK and EU breakdown cover, 365 EU cover and unlimited millage.

A friend of mine said he would be a bit weary of their breakdown cover as it's not done by the AA or RAC it's done by local garages and you have to pay them and reclaim it !!! So to all you Safeguard Insured drivers how have you found their breakdown service that is if you have had to use it especially abroad.
Many Thanks Tony

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We’ve used Safeguard breakdown in France twice and both times I spoke directly to the AA, and they arranged for a local breakdown service to attend. I didn’t have to pay anything. The AA and the local guys were brilliant on both occasions.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi All
I have just had a quote from Camping and Caravan Club for over £1000 needless to say I'm not going with them,

I then went to Comfort which came in at £520 without unlimited maillage but 7500miles a year.

I have now just got a quote from Safeguard and it has come in at £457.21 which includes UK and EU breakdown cover, 365 EU cover and unlimited millage.

A friend of mine said he would be a bit weary of their breakdown cover as it's not done by the AA or RAC it's done by local garages and you have to pay them and reclaim it !!! So to all you Safeguard Insured drivers how have you found their breakdown service that is if you have had to use it especially abroad.
Many Thanks Tony
Your friend is wrong, Safeguard use the AA for breakdowns in the UK. Sometimes they do use other contractors to tow you though but it's still an AA man in his yellow van who tries to do the repair at the roadside or in a 'place of safety' after you've been towed. For us it was a Supermarket carpark in Blandford. Mind you he couldn't repair it so we then had to be towed home and the same tow truck came back about 6 hours later!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Had to do two call-outs to Safeguard breakdown in Germany. Calls to emergency number in France were dealt with efficiently in English and the ADAC(German AA equivalent) arrived within the hour.Nothing to pay and very hard to give a tip.

Geoff

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi All
I wondered if I should start another thread, but as I thought all you good people who answered this thread are possibly in the same position as me I thought I would continue this thread.

This is another insurance problem which I did not think about, it is the fact I take a small motorcycle with me and I will have the same problem with the 90 days limit most insurances companies.

So what do all you good people use as motor scooter insurance for more than 90 days and do you have breakdown cover for them?

RAC Arrival who I was with before going with safeguard covered any vehicle I was in or riding Safeguard only covers the Motorhome but that was without foreign travel.
So do all you people insured with Safeguard get a different breakdown cover for your car, motor scooter etc or what?
Many Thanks Tony

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Comfort used to use RAC for their UK recovery - only ever used it once and it was excellent. They've now gone over to AA and now I'm a bit concerned because the AA don't appear to have a good reputation. I'm due to renew next month so along with a couple of other changes I'll be asking some serious questions - I don't particularly want to change 'cos I've had excellent service and the price has always been right.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back