Storage costs (2 Viewers)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
So I'm booked on the ferry back to Portsmouth this week and booked in for my MOT up in Quedgley. My sister stays there so thought it would be worth while to book my van in to storage for a few months instead of driving back home to Aberdeen then back down to the ferry when I go away again. This way I can fly down to see family then pick the van up.

Been quoted some eye watering amounts from various storage facilities down there and some I can't help but feel are taking the absolute p*ss.

I won't name and shame but one company in particular were quoting me £225+vat P/M with a £60+vat P/M service charge. (This basically means they will wash the van on entry and keep the battery on a trickle charge). They then emailed me and said 'on doing some research on the size of my van' (7m long) they would have to charge £300 +vat P/M with the £60+vat P/M service charge.

Over 400 quid per month to keep my camper van under a roof. Surely I could rent a house with a garage for that amount. How can they justify these prices? I was under £400 quid to keep my van for a year in Spain!

Anyway I have found somewhere that will do it for 90 quid per month. Just proves how important it is to shop around.

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
No where near where you want to be , but, my storage undercover, just ten min from home and twenty five min from Glasgow, £435 per annum. Cassoa gold site with all singing and dancing alarms, owner stays on site.
Google Cassoa storage and see if there 's one near your sister.
John

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Just googled it , seven sites showing around Gloucester.
John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
So if you owned a storage site and could charge £500 a month, you wouldn't? The philanthropist in you would say "No that's unfair lets charge £100 for these poor people. :)

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
So if you owned a storage site and could charge £500 a month, you wouldn't? The philanthropist in you would say "No that's unfair lets charge £100 for these poor people. :)

If anyone is stupid enough to pay 500 quid to keep their van under a roof then they deserve to be the victims of the daylight robbery that has just bestowed them.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If anyone is stupid enough to pay 500 quid to keep their van under a roof then they deserve to be the victims of the daylight robbery that has just bestowed them.

Entirely agree, I pay just over £400 for the year at a Cassoa gold site, but if you owned a really expensive motorhome say £500,000+ then £6000 a year might seem peanuts.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Over 400 quid per month to keep my camper van under a roof. Surely I could rent a house with a garage for that amount. How can they justify these prices? I was under £400 quid to keep my van for a year in Spain!
a house in my cul-de-sac has recently been re-rented £1600 per month, 3 bed semi with a garage in a block no other off road parking. no shortage of people wanting to rent it either. I suggest you are either out of touch with rental prices or it is massively cheaper up north

last motorhome storage was £1500 per year and they have waiting lists

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
a house in my cul-de-sac has recently been re-rented £1600 per month, 3 bed semi with a garage in a block no other off road parking. no shortage of people wanting to rent it either. I suggest you are either out of touch with rental prices or it is massively cheaper up north

last motorhome storage was £1500 per year and they have waiting lists

Yes it is a lot cheaper up here but I was just using an example to get my point across.

When it comes to the crunch a storage facility is a building with a roof and some security measures in place. There is absolutely no need for some of these firms charging these ludicrous amounts. No justification what so ever. But if people some how get peace of mind by being ripped off that is fine with me I guess.

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
They do have to buy the land. It's not just the 'building with a roof.........'

As has been said, if people are prepared to pay it then a) more fool them B) you can't blame the supplier if there is a demand at that price

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
So why is is cheaper up North, the overheads must be roughly the same.......???

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
So why is is cheaper up North, the overheads must be roughly the same.......???
If you are storing a few motorhomes, the land down South is a lot dearer then up North down here you can easily become a millionaire by selling a decent sized field.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Land prices:
Just across the Forth 8 miles from Dunfermline

LOT 1: Opportunity to acquire 9.14 acres (3.7 ha) of land zoned for 60 houses (See plan attached at rear of particulars).
Layout for previous (now withdrawn) detailed planning application for 77 houses and 16 flats, reference: 08/01551/WFUL http://planning.fife.gov.uk/online/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=K1GYMLHF03700

OFFERS OVER £200,000 PER ACRE

Tunbridge Wells, Kent
The site comprising the land at 84-108 St John's Road consisting of a predominantly rectangular shaped site extending to approximately 0.18 hectares (0.44 acres).

The development will provide a total of 6 no. Units consisting of 3 blocks of 4 bedroom semi-detached houses. Each unit will be provided with its own care parking space and private amenity. An extensive hard and soft landscaping scheme is also proposed.

£2,000,000 That's around £4,000,000 an acre

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Yes it is a lot cheaper up here but I was just using an example to get my point across.

When it comes to the crunch a storage facility is a building with a roof and some security measures in place. There is absolutely no need for some of these firms charging these ludicrous amounts. No justification what so ever. But if people some how get peace of mind by being ripped off that is fine with me I guess.

Could you please tell us how you would be ripped off or them taking the wee wee.Do they grab your keys put motorhome in building and say give us your money. Or do they say that is our price if you would like us to keep your motorhome secure clean and batteries topped up.
Your choice surely.

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
Sometimes, on many theads,( and I am not singling this thread , or theOP, out) you could be forgiven for thinking that anyone owning a motorhome expects everything else to come for free or for peanuts.

Now,don't get me wrong, I don't like paying out but, if it comes with the territory, your choices are limited

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Could you please tell us how you would be ripped off or them taking the wee wee.Do they grab your keys put motorhome in building and say give us your money. Or do they say that is our price if you would like us to keep your motorhome secure clean and batteries topped up.
Your choice surely.

If you are paying £500 odd quid for storing your van for one month then you are being ripped off, (whether you are happy with it or not is entirely up to you).

It's not a luxury service. When I want my van in storage I want it under a roof that doesn't leak and I would like some decent security around the place and that is basically it.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Sometimes, on many theads,( and I am not singling this thread , or theOP, out) you could be forgiven for thinking that anyone owning a motorhome expects everything else to come for free or for peanuts.

Now,don't get me wrong, I don't like paying out but, if it comes with the territory, your choices are limited

You choices are not limited though as with a bit of shopping around I found indoor storage in the same area for a much more affordable £90 per month.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Crikey, I am staying where I am. £360 for the year, CCTV and secure. Not undercover but I don't want that anyway as I need to keep my batteries charged.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Our storage is very expensive.

Just under £2k a year for indoor storage.

I don’t like it but we don’t really have much choice

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Ours is £400 per annum not Cassoa but 5 mins up road and 24/7 access. Nice and secure and sooo convenient

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
If you are paying £500 odd quid for storing your van for one month then you are being ripped off, (whether you are happy with it or not is entirely up to you).

It's not a luxury service. When I want my van in storage I want it under a roof that doesn't leak and I would like some decent security around the place and that is basically it.
Personally I don’t pay a penny for storage. Keep it on my driveway. When down sized first priority was long drive 30m long. If could not keep at home it would have to go.
But I used to rent a workshop about twice the size of a large motorhome, what with rent,rates and little electric was was over that a month.

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
Ours is £600 pa for cassoa gold. Not under cover, but cctv, very secure, 24/7 access and 10 minutes from home.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
When you live near an airport as I do it is difficult to find cheap storage. The nearest storage is 400 yards away. They would rather store 2 small cars for £40 a week than 1 Moho for less. My storage is 13 miles away. Cassoa gold but I think it is worth what I pay. Mike

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
You choices are not limited though as with a bit of shopping around I found indoor storage in the same area for a much more affordable £90 per month.

So the gist of your OP, you complaining about the price some charge, is rendered redundant.

Glad you found something nearer the price you were prepared to pay.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
So the gist of your OP, you complaining about the price some charge, is rendered redundant.

Glad you found something nearer the price you were prepared to pay.

How? No storage company should be quoting the price I got. There must be a lot of idiots out there prepared to pay ridiculous prices for very little.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back