Are you gertting enough FUN ? (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Probably not because if you look at the calendar it's a bit empty especially Jul, Sept and Oct.

Would you like to join some FUN people in a nice cheap camp site not to far away ? The answer has got to be YES because every time I do it a good laugh is had by all.

But the calendar is empty -- SO FILL IT.

Me ? Me organise a meet ? YES indeed. You can do it.

Let's look at one that is now established and mega successful - hananap's bring and buy, at the end of June. So why is it a success ? Because he got 3 things dead right:
1: Time
2: Place
3: Cost

Time is important, no-one will turn up in the snow. Busy holiday time may work but places could be difficult and people could be away on their major breaks.

Place, because of fuel cost people are more likely to turn up if they don't travel too far. If you are recommending this then just make sure it's a tidy field, not too noisy and with minimal facilities. Power is good but not essential. Waste dump and water is.

Cost, not terribly important but a good meet does not need an expensive CC CCC or Haven site. We go to meet and maybe have a drink or two and a good laugh, a nice simple site is good.

Right - haganaps meet - it's in a field owned by a pub. No power. Waste dump. Pub does good food and offers a small discount to us. It's quiet. By a canal where folk can go and walk off any hangovers. Price is good. Field flat but can get damp but that's never been a disaster. It's very central so even though some folk do come a long way many are close.

What do I do when they arrive ? All you have to do is make sure they find a pitch and pay. You need to do nothing more. What you could do is take a few bags of crisps and throw them on a table late afternoon to encourage folk to gather and have a laugh, others will bring their own nibbles and drink. You are NOT putting on a dinner party.

Can it fail ? With UK weather it is possible. But if it does, you are one up on all the ones who did not contribute to FUN. Make sure any plans at a site are approximate so there is no chance of being out of pocket.

Another successful meet: runrig's meet at White House Farm in April. It started with 3 names and stuck at 3 names for ages. I'm sure she was a bit uneasy then. But closer to the time names were added and it worked out a pretty perfect 15(ish) vans for the field. Weather was very kind, everyone had a great time. Everyone was grateful to runrigs.

I've got an idea for a Derbyshire meet late September. I know lots of FUNsters are in the surrounding area, I know Derbyshire is a lovely location. But first I've my first ever meet to see through next month.

YOU CAN DO IT. TALK ABOUT IT HERE. NOW.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Good post Brian.
Be lovely to see a few more meets up in the summer months.
We are not sure if we are going to go to France or Slovenia this summer. However with the terrible Euro we may even stick at home in the UK, and just have some long weekends.
So be nice to see a few meets appear, unless any other families fancy a dash to Slovenia. :winky:

One good idea to bare in mind when organising a meet, is sometimes its really good if there is a theme. Ie something like a steam rally, american car show, even a dog show. Anything that can get peoples attraction.
Pammy's fishing meet's are always good and well attended, as it sort of brakes the ice for some as it gives an interest to talk about.

Only other thing I would add, is its a great feeling when lots of funsters turn up and have a good time and you in some way think you have contributed to that, and that also helps keep interest in the site going as some members like an active rally site.:thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Dont forget that organising a meet

is not expensive to do and

does NOT mean you have to pay the deposits for all the pitches etc yourself;

does NOT mean you have to provide entertainment for everyone all the time;

does NOT take up masses of your time to organise

Many sites will put pitches aside for motorhomefun so that everyone is together.

There are plenty of funsters who will give you some help advice and support.

I went right in the deep end and organised one towards the end of November last year. The weather was cold and could have been a little kinder but we had a good time, hot mulled wine to keep us warm and even a barbeque, yes thats right a barbeque in November in the wind and rain if I remember correctly. The site staff were extremely helpful and the free hogroast excellent so we might do this one again this year.

So go for it folks, take the plunge and organise a meet xxxxxxxx

and remember there can never been enough fun or too much fun

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Why not make use of a CC&C DA meet (or the CC ones) somewhere, these are normally cheap and already organised. I realise that many are not members but we find these great value and hassle free.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
One good idea to bare in mind when organising a meet, is sometimes its really good if there is a theme.

From the point of view of getting some extra meets I have to totally disagree with you. Nothing wrong with a theme but that theme can be as simple as a load of FUN people in a field. Morecambe last September's theme was field with a view, simple as that and it worked a treat.

Same with your bring and buy, most people did not bring or buy but had a great time, but I wonder if any did not turn up because they thought they had nothing to bring ?

KISS.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I realise that many are not members

That says it all.

But you could tempt people if you posted a meet notice. It's up to them then if they want to join up to CC CCC. Not quite FUN though.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
From the point of view of getting some extra meets I have to totally disagree with you. Nothing wrong with a theme but that theme can be as simple as a load of FUN people in a field. Morecambe last September's theme was field with a view, simple as that and it worked a treat.

Same with your bring and buy, most people did not bring or buy but had a great time, but I wonder if any did not turn up because they thought they had nothing to bring ?

KISS.

However,
Last year someone EHUPLAD i think, done a steam fair up ta north somewhere. A last min thing and all of a sudden there were a hundred funsters whom liked steam rallies that never knew it. All of a sudden a rally was formed. could of even been a load of funsters with no idea what a steam rally was but thought great idea for a meet.
it just broadens the horizons a little, :Blush:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Here is one that wasn't a great success ... one couple attended.. Bob and Jane

The weather was great, there was a choice of dates, it was cheap and close to amenities... maybe too far from the Midlands?

Link Removed

you tell me ...

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
you tell me ...

Short notice.

Not sure if the date is a bad one.

Dropping off the edge of the country.

6 places does not sound like much of a meet.

That's my immediate impression.

A nice try though, site facilities/cost seem perfect.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This post is "stickied" at the top of the Rallies and meets Forum:thumb: Its easy, go and arrange one::bigsmile:

Meets are a fun way for members to meet in an informal setting. They are always held on a commercial site. There is nothing to organise apart from putting the meet in the calender, along with a bit of info maybe outlining how nice the site is and making mention of it in the Meets and rallies forum, something like;

"We are going to be at Pembrey Country Park Caravan Club Site on the weekend of the 14 March, If you are interested in coming along and meeting us there, please say so here. To find out more see details of the site in the calendar entry"

Members that are interested will say as much on the thread and should make a booking with the site direct, ensuring that they mention MotorhomeFun so the Funsters are all pitched together.

You might have one person turn up, maybe six, who knows. People will say in the thread if they are going. If you put up a meet and no one can make it, no problem, you were going there anyway. Either way - Have Fun:thumb:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Are you getting enought FUN ?

Probably not because if you look at the calendar it's a bit empty especially Jul, Sept and Oct.

So why is it a success ? Because he got 3 things dead right:
1: Time
2: Place
3: Cost

Cost, not terribly important but a good meet does not need an expensive CC CCC or Haven site. We go to meet and maybe have a drink or two and a good laugh, a nice simple site is good.

YOU CAN DO IT. TALK ABOUT IT HERE. NOW.

3: Well I got that one wrong. First attempt at a UK meet and shot down big time on cost.

So folks - remember it's a load of cheapskates you are dealing with and get planning.

YOU CAN DO IT.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back