taking dogs on eurotunnel (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
do we have to arrive before check in time to get the dog cleared to travel , or is it done before hand and if so how long should we allow to get it done thanks Lawrence

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Hiya , go straight through on the the way out . On the way back go in to pet control show pet passport and get pooch scanned for the right chip number ( pay extra on way back 30 euro I think) remember the vet visit before coming back

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No check at all on the way out normally although they may ask you to confirm if you are travelling with pets, on the way back you need to go to the pet control building first for the formal 'scanning' of your pet and for the details from your pet passport to be entered into the system (ie details of your mandatory foreign vet visit for worming treatment). You need to allow at least 30 minutes extra for this so they recommend no later than an hour before your crossing time, if you are travelling back to the UK in the morning it can be quite busy from around 8.00 am to 10.00 am so maybe allow a little bit more time just in case. The cost per pet (cat/dog/ferret) is £18 per crossing I believe (ie £36 return) but you should already have paid that when you booked your crossing(s) originally.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
We used to love it,sitting in the vehicle/mo.ho,sandwiches and a flask........ "Whatever furry thing you have?" with you (Have seen a Ferret.(y)") drinking water from a bowl at your side.....Magic.
If you arrive early,there is a dedicated dog walk at the Dover end,so your "Fanger!" Kill Wolf..KILL!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Can stretch the legs,enjoy it. Cassette/dump point there as well for if you need it
Tea Bag

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used to take our pet rats with us ... fortunately they didn't need a passport of have to be paid for!

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
There's a funster video here that explains the procedure at the Eurostar terminal at Calais.

Paul

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Taking our mutt through the tunnel for the first time in a couple of weeks, so many thanks for the information

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I would advise during busy times or bank holidays to be earlier than requested as if any problems there is still time to sort it out and not miss your train
We have been at the pets check in and out in 3 mins but also in and out in 35 mins or more .down to the time of the year IMHO

Kath x

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
If your tour includes Spain, ensure your dog is harnessed and not on your lap. Police are hot on it. The other day parking up, on came along, really helpful, but as he made a fuss of our dog, checked she was harnessed.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hiya , go straight through on the the way out . On the way back go in to pet control show pet passport and get pooch scanned for the right chip number ( pay extra on way back 30 euro I think) remember the vet visit before coming back

You don’t pay anything on return. When you book your tickets you pay for your pet then. I think it’s £18 each way.

When returning you need to visit a vet and get your dog tapewormed. This has to be done not sooner than five days before and not later than 24 hours prior to your crossing. If you don’t do this you’ll not be able to travel.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I see it’s £19 per pet now they keep tacking a bit on every year although they are keeping Frequent traveller at £18

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I see it’s £19 per pet now they keep tacking a bit on every year although they are keeping Frequent traveller at £18

So that makes it £38 for a one way trip since they have absolutely no interest or input when you are outbound from Folkestone, a total rip off which is unavoidable if taking dog on the tunnel, they know it and charge it simply because they have customers at a disadvantage. Very poor business practice. Given the number of dogs travelling I wonder what their income from this might be, I imagine its very substantial.:(

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
So that makes it £38 for a one way trip since they have absolutely no interest or input when you are outbound from Folkestone, a total rip off which is unavoidable if taking dog on the tunnel, they know it and charge it simply because they have customers at a disadvantage. Very poor business practice. Given the number of dogs travelling I wonder what their income from this might be, I imagine its very substantial.:(

I don’t know why you think it should be free. It’s a service which is quick and doesn’t involve having to leave your dog in a cage. Eurotunnel Folkestone also provide a really nice exercise area for dogs... something they don’t have to do.

Personally I’m happy to pay £18 each way.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We used to take our pet rats with us ... fortunately they didn't need a passport of have to be paid for!
Odd that when ferrets have to have rabies jabs & probably a passport here ?

I don't know about the tunnel but the ferries charge the same for out & return. Although nothing is done by all accounts even on cross channel they have a maximum amount of pets that can be carried per crossing. So there would be a bit of paperwork/cost involved for them on the outward leg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

as I understand the Pets Passport checking service is operated by DEFRA and it is they who set the price.. and get the money.. not the ferry or tunnel operators..
AFAKI the price is the same for all cross channel services.

Yes it's painful, we have two dogs and when you factor in the Vets fees in France, this take a big chunk of cash out of our holiday budget ,

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I would advise during busy times or bank holidays to be earlier than requested as if any problems there is still time to sort it out and not miss your train

Did you get Tom and John done at the same time Kath?........ jus azkin like!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
they know it and charge it simply because they have customers at a disadvantage.
I am not sure that I see it that way. As with anything you do not have to use the tunnel if you think they are taking advantage of you. The ferries are always there.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I don’t know why you think it should be free. It’s a service which is quick and doesn’t involve having to leave your dog in a cage. Eurotunnel Folkestone also provide a really nice exercise area for dogs... something they don’t have to do.

Personally I’m happy to pay £18 each way.

I don't believe I said I think it sold be it should be free. As had been said by "Scotjimland"DEFRA set the price so I suppose we just have to accept that.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I am not sure that I see it that way. As with anything you do not have to use the tunnel if you think they are taking advantage of you. The ferries are always there.

As "Scotjimland" has said, its DEFRA who set the price and if the price is the same for tunnel and ferries as he says, we don't have any choice on the matter if we wish to take our dogs, So I am wrong in thinking Eurotunnel are taking advantage, my criticism should be redirected towards DEFRA. Either way I think the fee is rather high.

Flooky

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
New
This is a great help, thanks, we are off in May for first time with the dog. He is really nervous of vets which doesn't help, is the worming thing coming back just tablets ? cos if its a jab we might have to live in France and never come back.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This is a great help, thanks, we are off in May for first time with the dog. He is really nervous of vets which doesn't help, is the worming thing coming back just tablets ? cos if its a jab we might have to live in France and never come back.

tablet or jab.. your choice, jab is more expensive

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

Yes its just tablets. You can take your own tablets but you'll need to go to a vet and give the tablet to your dog at the surgery. The vet will then sign and stamp your pet passport to indicate that this has been done.

We have great difficulty in getting our dog to take the tablets the vets administer so I'm buying some flavoured ones (Drontal) here in the UK to take with us to see if it makes things less stressful. If you decide to do the same you need tablets containing praziquantel.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
fully agree.. it's a 5 min job to scan the chip, which the owner has to do, and stamp passport.. but we are over a barrel.. it could be done by a robot

It may be a five minute job to process each pet but, as in any business, there are overheads and running costs. The staff have to be paid, the computer systems up-dated, the facilities have to be managed and utilities paid.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It may be a five minute job to process each pet but, as in any business, there are overheads and running costs. The staff have to be paid, the computer systems up-dated, the facilities have to be managed and utilities paid.

yes am well aware of how a business runs, .. but £38 is a lot for the few minutes it takes to process each pet.. for us that's £76 .. we are in and out in 5 -10 minutes.. how can that be justified ?

and it's not a business, DEFRA is Government department,

you would be up in arms if you had to pay £38 to have your own personal passport checked

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I think you may have the cost per pet wrong - its £18 per pet, not £38.

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
My dog doesn’t like tablets so I take some paté in the vets and put the tablet in that.she eats it no problem then. Vet is happy me doing this. Last year was a first time for my dog on the Chunnel, she shook a bit as she couldn’t understand why she felt the van moving when I wasn’t driving. She was fine though.
The staff walk up and down passed your van as you’re travelling as do other people.
My funny experience this time was on return journey, staff knocked on drivers window, which you have to leave open a bit and leave vehicle in gear, and asked me did I have a horse, which I do at home so I said yes. He then looked in through the window and I realised he meant with me so I said no just a dog. Apparently someone had ticked the box I had a horse on board not a dog.

Once you’ve done the journey you’ll do it all the time it’s so relaxing and lovely weather. Enjoy.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think you may have the cost per pet wrong - its £18 per pet, not £38.

It's £19 each way.. and it's not checked going out .. so £38 to check coming back
Broken Link Removed
The cost for your pet to travel with Eurotunnel Le Shuttle is £19/26€ for each leg of the journey. This fee applies to each dog, cat or ferret in your vehicle.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
as I understand the Pets Passport checking service is operated by DEFRA and it is they who set the price.. and get the money.. not the ferry or tunnel operators..
AFAKI the price is the same for all cross channel services.

No it isn't. I've always been told that by eurotunnel but I pay, & have always paid before, & have just checked it before posting & with DFDS it is £15 in either direction.

I don't believe I said I think it sold be it should be free. As had been said by "Scotjimland"DEFRA set the price so I suppose we just have to accept that.
As above.
As "Scotjimland" has said, its DEFRA who set the price and if the price is the same for tunnel and ferries as he says, we don't have any choice on the matter if we wish to take our dogs, So I am wrong in thinking Eurotunnel are taking advantage, my criticism should be redirected towards DEFRA. Either way I think the fee is rather high.
It isn't the same.
I believe that the £15 is the defra fee & eurotunnel add on the rest for 'admin/handling'

fully agree.. it's a 5 min job to scan the chip, which the owner has to do, and stamp passport.. but we are over a barrel.. it could be done by a robot
In Dunkirk it is done when checking in your vehicle.
There is no separate 'pet check in'.
So by the time they have checked my passport & booked vehicle in/printed the lane info ,I've done the scan & all the operative does is compare chip scan with number held & date ,time ,etc; There is nothing stamped in the dogs passport.

That's why I think that the extra £3 is added by eurotunnel as they have no manual 'check in' , it is all done by the anpr & check in terminal, therefore they have to have staff to check the animals.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back