Feb 5, 2010
south coast
Funster No
MH
tbc
Exp
0 yrs
Hi,

Well we've had our new motorhome just over a month now, been away in it for a lot of that time and we live tucked away at the bottom of a quiet cul de sac.

Been out to the van this afternoon to find some thieving swine has attempted to force the habitation door lock, succeeded to bugger it up but luckily got no further than that.

So I need to rather urgently get it alarmed and probably electrified!!!

I see good reports about strikeback are these still the best fir our type of vehicle, I want it to be very loud if they get in, not the pathetic eec reg car ones I have on my new car.

Any advice and knowledge of south coast fitters would be greatly appreciated, I phoned the local supplier I found on the web they state they are on holiday until September!! Alright for some.

Many Thanks

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Blimey its all happening latley. I'm alarmed and immobilised but I wouldn't hang my hat on it.

Most people tend to look the other way now days. Thats just because its a common place thing to hear vehicle and house alarms going off. At least if it went of on my front I know that the street would be up.

I dont know too much about tracker alarms but I know there are some that ring you up when you vehicle is taken or interfered with. Somebody who has one will be along soon I'm sure.

Best of Luck

Jim

:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Been out to the van this afternoon to find some thieving swine has attempted to force the habitation door lock, succeeded to bugger it up but luckily got no further than that.

I phoned the local supplier I found on the web they state they are on holiday until September!! Alright for some.
September?!! :whatthe::whatthe:

Something tells me they either can't be a**ed with work or making so much money they don't need jobs! Obviously not a good trader to do business with as if anything goes wrong they will no doubt be away on holiday for the next six months! I'd look elsewhere if I were you.

Could be worth contacting your insurance company and ask them who/what they recommend.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I dont know too much about tracker alarms but I know there are some that ring you up when you vehicle is taken or interfered with.

Some models, such as the Tracker Monitor, do get triggered if the vehicle is moved without the ignition being started. At which point you should get a phone call.

Some insurers will drop your premium if you fit a vehicle tracker, but you'd have to keep it for a long time to recoup the cost. Mind you, that's not why you get it...

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Any advice and knowledge of south coast fitters would be greatly appreciated, I phoned the local supplier I found on the web they state they are on holiday until September!! Alright for some.

Many Thanks

Hi your welcome to give Glenn or Ian a ring and have a chat about an alarm, another alternative is to fit one of these, not an alarm but an obvious deterrent!

Also handy as a grab handle getting into the van.

Fiamma Security Handle 31

Fiamma Security Handle 46

Fiamma Security Handle 46 Pro

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

But the bad news is most alarms would not have been triggered by this.

You need to take a broader view than just throwing money at an alarm.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
My advice is to contact vanbitz

they offer advice and will not try to sell you a system I have had one of the alarms they fit in the past and can only say they really know what they are doing

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
I don't know if it is different for RV's , but I could not get insurance without a Cat1 thatcham alarm.

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
Hi,

Well we've had our new motorhome just over a month now, been away in it for a lot of that time and we live tucked away at the bottom of a quiet cul de sac.

I see good reports about strikeback are these still the best fir our type of vehicle, I want it to be very loud if they get in, not the pathetic eec reg car ones I have on my new car.

Many Thanks
Try looking up "Defender". This system is a bit expensive but if intruder alarm is detected it will notify you by phone within 30 seconds and if the vehicle is stolen, the police can have the engine turned off when it is safe to do so. They claim a 100% recovery within 1hr. I shall certainly be getting it fitted when I get my new van.

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
My advice is to contact vanbitz

they offer advice and will not try to sell you a system I have had one of the alarms they fit in the past and can only say they really know what they are doing

I would second that. I am due to have one of their systems fitted next month. I had one on my previous motorhome and it was the dogs bits...

But as Brian says look broader, I have one of Link Removed these fitted to both of my doors.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we have a Strickback fitted by Vanbitz, and would not be without it, we have one siren under the bonnet and two fitted at the rear of the van.:Smile: We set it when we sleep and it does all the doors and a loop that I put on the trailer and the through the car wheel, and if you have any problems a panic button. ::bigsmile: Ours was fitted at Cornish Farm and you get a free nights camping. :winky: But not the cheapest alarm and you get what you pay for, we had a problem with one of the LED's is Spain so none worked, phoned Vanbitz they told us what the problem was and send us a new one when we got home ( free of charge ) We would not think twice about having another fitted by Vanbitz, a very professional company and do an excellent job . :Smile: Bob.

OP
OP
J

jettdt

Free Member
Feb 5, 2010
south coast
Funster No
MH
tbc
Exp
0 yrs
Thanks for the replies guys. I have a bit of a strange security set up as it came with a good tracker system from new that texts me location and speed etc if moved wihtout my authority, but no alarm, which I found very odd at the time.

I looked at the big locks shown on here, but I think that if they are really determined there are too many weak points on the vehicle, the windows and several locker doors all lead into the habitation area at the moment. Thats why I thought a really loud alarm for home would be ideal, I understand others will ignore it but i certainly wont, so maybe an alarm and a shotgun would be the best deterent:RollEyes:

I will give vanbitz a bell as I have heard several good comments about them over time watching these forums, I will also be putting some loighting and a maplins cctv camera on the driveway ASAP!! Oh and today I emptied it and put some notices on it to say so, heres hoping they leave it alone.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I will give vanbitz a bell as I have heard several good comments about them over time watching these forums, I will also be putting some loighting and a maplins cctv camera on the driveway ASAP!! Oh and today I emptied it and put some notices on it to say so, heres hoping they leave it alone.

You wont go far wrong with Eddie at Vanbitz:thumb:

Peter

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Thanks for the replies guys. I have a bit of a strange security set...... Oh and today I emptied it and put some notices on it to say so, heres hoping they leave it alone.
Oh noooooooo!!

Worst thing you could possibly do. It's like the proverbial red rag to a bull. You may just as well stick signs on saying 'hey i'm worth a bob or two....try and break inside if you dare'!!

My next door neighbour is into this and the house is 'guarded' :)RollEyes:) by an array of signs, cctv, burglar alarms, and two huge searchlights! :roflmto: My house has no signs, no cctv, no alarm and no silly searchlights. I've lost count of the times my neighbour has been broken into, each time successfully. Nobody has ever had a go at my house because they think there's nowt worth pinching so won't waste any energy.....and thats fine by me.

OP
OP
J

jettdt

Free Member
Feb 5, 2010
south coast
Funster No
MH
tbc
Exp
0 yrs
I know where you are coming from, but they have already found my van, which was very low key, out of site from the main road and hidden down the side of my house. If they come back tonight after failing last night, (which is not unusual in these circs) then I need them to know they have been rumbled trying to get in last night, otherwise they will think they are OK to give it another go. I don't think they were trying to steal the vehicle, usually if that was the case it would have gone because these types of thieves are more professional than the theft from vehicle towrags. I have to let them know that there is nothing to steal in a hope to lessen any damage they may do tonight trying to gain access, until I can sort a better deterrent.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
try putting up a sign that says I LOVE SHOTGUNS

and GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE KILL:ROFLMAO:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Or any of the following;

'I'm not coming out yet,the voices told me to stay in a polish my guns'
'Happiness is a warm gun' (John Lennon & Paul McCartney)
'You're only jealous because the voices talk to me'
'Patrolled twice a week by daogs and armed mercenaries-you want to chance it???!!!'

'Danger High Voltage':Angry::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
A security lock would be a good addition - its' a VISUAL deterrent. They will more than likely move on to one without.

Only downfall with alarms etc, is that they will still have a go! You will still have a beat up door lock - only you will know about it sooner. If you were to get both, then you will be sorted!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back