Insurance in Croatia- advice please (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We’re insured with NFU who don’t do fully comp cover for travel in Croatia. Does anyone know if it’s possible to do an ‘add on’ insurance to bring it up to fully comp? We’ve only just taken out cover with NFU and so don’t want to change companies if at all possible.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have - NFU don’t cover Croatia... that’s why I’m asking here.
I must have misread your post! Looking at it again I judge your enquiring about a different insurance company providing specific cover for Croatia, for specific dates. I'm certain they will, at a price !!!! I think you need to get on the phone and start asking them directly.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It is illegal to have more than one policy on a motor vehicle.
NFU don't charge any cancellation fee so you could change companies then you could always change back to NFU after the trip. Probably get a cancellation charge from another company.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Just checked mine as Croatia is on my radar for this year.
Spoke to AIB who confirmed all EU countries covered for insurance and breakdown cover (y)
Must admit it hadn't crossed my mind it wouldn't be covered until I read this post, always assumed all EU on motor policies.
Just goes to show, never assume !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Just checked mine as Croatia is on my radar for this year.
Spoke to AIB who confirmed all EU countries covered for insurance and breakdown cover (y)
Must admit it hadn't crossed my mind it wouldn't be covered until I read this post, always assumed all EU on motor policies.
Just goes to show, never assume !
Just check that its not the "minimum ins level for EU " but full comp ?
All Ins co have to provide min level EU cover by law :)

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for your replies - very helpful. I think we'll pause the NFU and get another company to cover us in Croatia.

Does anyone know why some insurance companies won't cover Croatia? I did ask NFU but didn't really get a reason other than they just don't. It seems strange to me as they cover Turkey.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Seems to be the last lot of countries that joined the EU they don't cover, probably not got around to updating their policies so "computer says no.':)

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The thing is though that they cover Turkey which is not in the EU.

Its very odd!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Reading these insurance posts leads me to believe more and more that it is all down to the person dealing with your enquiry; there seems to be so much lack of consistency!

Think I'd be having another go at NFU, perhaps ask to speak to a supervisor. Unless anybody else on here who is with NFU can clarify it?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Reading these insurance posts leads me to believe more and more that it is all down to the person dealing with your enquiry; there seems to be so much lack of consistency!

Think I'd be having another go at NFU, perhaps ask to speak to a supervisor. Unless anybody else on here who is with NFU can clarify it?
I think quite a few people on here both existing customers and prospective new customers have all asked the question Re Croatia and the answer has been a very consistent "Third party only" they said it was because they did not have representation in Croatia to process any claim there.

Martin

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks for that Martin. Croatia is on our radar for the near future so the question will be asked when I renew (with Comfort, or maybe not...) next month.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I think quite a few people on here both existing customers and prospective new customers have all asked the question Re Croatia and the answer has been a very consistent "Third party only" they said it was because they did not have representation in Croatia to process any claim there.
I
Martin
That’s exactly what they told me Martin
Does seem strange though.
It’s not like it’s an out of the way place

Last edited by a moderator:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have been with NFU for 6 years and ran into this problem when Martin @funflair highlighted it. I have 3 vehicles with them and no amount of begging elicited a solution, save insure elsewhere and come back. They did give me a reason; apparently they do not have support infrastructure in the country which I suppose means in the event of an accident they do not have a company who handles their position! Anyway I found several other companies who do cover fully comp and chose one. The downside is that NFU are so relaxing to deal with, very low premiums for high value vehicles, no demands for trackers and alarms, easy in easy out, AND fully comp insurance on the VIN for existing customers when importing a brand new vehicle, not available for preregistered/second hand. So I will move back as soon as I cross into Slovenia coming back, and take the hit, financially that is!

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I agree @sallylillian, they offer good cover for low premiums without having to add a tracker. We don’t want to leave them so will do the same as you. Did you have the short term policy running simultaneously with the NFU one?

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I agree sallylillian, they offer good cover for low premiums without having to add a tracker. We don’t want to leave them so will do the same as you. Did you have the sort term policy run simultaneously with the NFU one?
No a complete new policy; running 2 together was initially thought by them (NFU) not to be a problem as another poster on here has suggested, however the problem is NCB, you transfer the right from one policy to another and it attaches to one policy at a time so in effect gaining its benefit on 2 policies could be considered fraud perhaps. So as its so easy to switch back to NFU, especially if you have other vehicles with them, that seems the way to go.

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
We're with Comfort - first time as they had the best deal, so just checked. Croatia falls within their Territorial limits (specifically, it's on the list..) so we have full cover.
Not for Bosnia though so we'll still have to detour around on the ferry and island hop...
:)

Jun 20, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
We are with AIB who cover us for Croatia and Slovenia fully comp.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back