What birds do you get in your garden (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
A sorry sight this afternoon.

A Sparrowhawk shot off just as I went into the back garden. There was a half-eaten warm carcass of a pigeon on the patio under my kitchen window. Blood and feathers everywhere. It looked like the Sparrowhawk had stripped the meat off both the back and front of the pigeon. A sad sight. Too gruesome for a pic.

Usually the remains are at the bottom of the garden where there is a tree stump used as a plucking post.

Update: I saw the Sparrowhawk 4 times again yesterday. A very large female bird with dark brown plumage. She returned to the place below my kitchen window searching in vain for the kill she made the day before. Scared every other bird away from the garden.

My previous dilemma was should I leave the gory pigeon corpse lying there, or dispose of it? If I left it that would attract the Sparrowhawk anyway, but it might mean no need for another kill, at least for a day. A life saved, perhaps. Or, the fox or a cat would eat it overnight. Who knows.

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Umm!...but the sparrowhawk is trying to survive too..so what do you do?...can't answer I'm afraid, I used to believe that we shouldn't interfere with nature, but have now reached the conclusion that we humans have interfered far too much for far too long to the detriment of our wildlife and so now think we should interfere in a positive way. For instance the reintroduction of the Red kite and x Osprey Watch.. what do you think?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Umm!...but the sparrowhawk is trying to survive too..so what do you do?...can't answer I'm afraid, I used to believe that we shouldn't interfere with nature, but have now reached the conclusion that we humans have interfered far too much for far too long to the detriment of our wildlife and so now think we should interfere in a positive way. For instance the reintroduction of the Red kite and x Osprey Watch.. what do you think?

Yes, having destroyed so much woodland habitat these poor birds are forced to live in our towns and gardens. I do support some careful re-wilding, including reintroduction of native species like the Red Kites, and cranes. Other non-native species like ring necked Parakeets? Not in most such cases, although I had a soft spot for the solitary Egyptian Goose that used to live on a nearby pond. He must have been lonely.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Never seen an Egypian goose in the UK...did see one in Amsterdam (looked like it was wearing a mask)
But I have seen White tailed Eagles on a number of occasions, reintroduced several decades ago.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Not interfering with wild life. How many bird feeders like we all put in our gardens would you see in the wild. There would not be as many pheasants if they was not bred and feeders put out for the shooting season. It’s a hard one to decide where to draw the line.

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
29133534_10156132042358688_2840578699697324032_n.jpg
Redpoll in the garden this morning, rare visitor.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Well this last couple of weeks we have been visited by a little Jenny Wren, haven`t seen one for years.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well this last couple of weeks we have been visited by a little Jenny Wren, haven`t seen one for years.

I had a hanging basket where one of the plants I had pushed into the side and slightly underneath, had fallen out. A little Jenny Wren made it's nest in the hollow. :) I was delighted.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Not quite the same thing but yesterday I saw the first woodmouse out this year. It was foraging for the seeds that have fallen from the bird feeder.

I like woodmice. Last year I watched a tiny baby one play near the plant pots. Its mum kept popping out of a crack in the patio and dragging it back by the scruff of the neck. Then the baby escaped again. This repeated several times. So cute.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We still have starlings and pidgin and a couple of black birds. The starlings will fly off at the drop of a pin, the black bird lets you walk out and sprinkle a few meal worms down with out flying away. The pidgin are getting fat, haha.

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I had a hanging basket where one of the plants I had pushed into the side and slightly underneath, had fallen out. A little Jenny Wren made it's nest in the hollow. :) I was delighted.
We had the same Joy when we live in Lancashire it was lovely to see the chicks when they were ready to fly
We hadn’t realised they had n
Made a nest and we were just about to redo the basket when we realised
They had a lucky escape ....it was a hay rack type basket on the wall outside the back door so they obviously weren’t bothered about us going in and out.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
They are all down your end of the county now beet has finished, it’s more peaceful. Haha

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
Roads are definitely more peaceful, now the beet lorries have finished coming through the village.:)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It’s a massive amount of beet moved in a short period. There was trucks from Scotland staying down here and shifting the beet, a huge operation.

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Quite a moment yesterday, watching the Blue and Great Tits, Goldfinches on the feeder a Weasel scurried around the garden, we live in suburban south Birmingham, Pauline saw a mouse a few days ago so I guess that is what the Weasel was hunting. We also get Sparrowhawks in the area.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Yesterday spotted a lovely pair of Greenfinches on the seed feeder. Too far away for pics, unfortunately.

I have hardly seen any Greenfinches since they were decimated by a virus a few years ago.

On an entirely different note, the butterfly pupa we have been looking after has hatched into a Large White today. We put a sugar water feeder with it and it will be released tomorrow.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
We parked in our friends garden in the north of Scotland and had red squirrels feeding 6 feet away together with Siskins and lots of Goldfinch. No better way to have breakfast in bed as we watched them.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just had a goldcrest in garden lovely in bright sun, but left my camera on my desk at work :(

Having said that we spent nearly an hour trying to photograph one in France earlier this year, they don’t stay still for long

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I dont know half of them , but ones I do recognise , Red Kite , Barn owl, Pheasant , wood pigeon , Robins , crows, blackbird , thrush , Great Tit , Chaffinch. Starling , magpies, probably due to my sister operating what amounts to a food bank for birds !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back