LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have just published my second book, Two go to Italy on the Kindle website:
The book has 299 colour illustrations and maps of our exploration of Italy. Ideally it needs to be read on a colour device such as a tablet or Kindle Fire but it will be fine on standard Kindles - except for the lack of colour of course. :)
There is also a paperback version which you should be able to find here:
The Kindle link above should work if you are outside the UK but if it doesn't just search on your local amazon site for the ASIN Code: B07B8X9B11

As it has just been published the paperback has its own page but in a few days it should be shown on the same page as the Kindle version.
The paperback only has black and white illustrations so I have enrolled it on Amazon Matchbook. This means if you buy the paperback you will be able to get the Kindle version free. However, as the two have not yet been linked by Amazon this may not be available for a few days.
It was only through writing this second book did I realise how badly written my first book was! Mary and I will be going back to Spain in April and we plan to visit some of the places we missed on our first visits, such as Cordoba. I will include these in a completely revised version of Two Go to Spain towards the end of the year.
On prices the Kindle version is the same price as my first book (£2.99) but the paperback has a hundred more pages and as printing costs are directly related to the number of pages I have had to price it slightly higher at £8.99.
I will not be producing an iBooks version but there is a free Kindle for iOS app which will allow the Kindle book to be read on Apple hardware.
We really enjoyed our travels in Italy and Sicily was magical. The cover illustration below is of the town of Ragusa on Sicily which features in quite a few of the Montalbano TV series episodes. We spent a couple of days visiting other Montalbano locations and there is whole chapter about them in the book!

TGTI-Small.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So when will the book signing tour come up north ?
We keep promising ourselves to have another trip in Scotland but the best time of the year is around May I think for weather and fewer midges and we always seem to be somewhere else then. They should make 14 month years. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Congratulations on your second book being published John.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Enjoyed your Spanish one, in fact we are sitting right now at La Vall de Laguar where your wife had her mishap on the walk to Fontilles. Look forward to reading the new one, good luck with it. (y)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Well done that man, may purchase that, Caz loves her kindle although its only the standard version.

Any plans for ''2 go to Germany, Holland, Poland, Sweden'' etc?

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Enjoyed your Spanish one, in fact we are sitting right now at La Vall de Laguar where your wife had her mishap on the walk to Fontilles. Look forward to reading the new one, good luck with it. (y)

Go to the Piscina Italian restaurant on the outskirts of Orba, the village just down the valley from you. Really cheap and utterly superb.

Also restaurant "Awraba" in the main street of Orba village, about 200 metres up from the church square:
Full "menu del Dia" 3 course meal (with about 5 choices per course) , plus bread and allioli, plus half a bottle of wine, all superb food, and the set total price is 10 euros. The food is brilliant quality.

Also the restaurant (or eat outside in the little main square if the weather is good) at Hostel La Plaza in the main square.... 3 course menu del dia meal including bread, allioli, and half bottle of wine, all for just 9 euros.

If visiting Orba you can park your motorhome for free in the big car park at the rear of the Mas y Mas supermarket on the edge of the village.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Well done that man, may purchase that, Caz loves her kindle although its only the standard version.

Any plans for ''2 go to Germany, Holland, Poland, Sweden'' etc?

Curiously, if there is another book it might be called Two Go East but I need to do a lot of reading first. I'm currently on Patrick Leigh Fermor's second book about his walk in the 1930s from the Hook of Holland to Constantinopole. Only very vague planning at the moment. :)

Well done DBK. When are you doing Norway, before I go in May I hope. :LOL:

Would love to go but Mrs DBK likes warmth and no mosquitoes!

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've just realised in my OP I didn't thank this Forum and in particular all those who offered really useful advice and suggestions while we were on our travels.
You know who you are. Consider yourselves well and truly thanked. :)

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Downloaded, by the way I’ve also got Patrick Leigh Fermore’s two books, which are a great read, very boys own stuff.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Congratulationd John..
I enjoyed your thread at the time and the photos...
I like hard copies lol... so ive ordered the paperback , and hope it inspires me to make the effort at some point..
Thanks..
Andy

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've just had a second copy of the paperback delivered and there is a problem with the maps of France. They were OK on the proof copy but they are now hard to read. I'm looking into it and will see what can be done. At the very least I will send out replacement copies for those who have already bought one. This affects the paperback version only, which I've taken off sale temporarily. Many apologies for this inconvenience. :(

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Oh dear, published too Swiftly.
The problem is the proof copy was OK but the production copies are different. Possibly because the proof was printed in Poland but the retail copies are printed in the UK.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Once the problem with the hard copy is sorted I'll buy one for my sister-in-law who has sold her house and intends to move to Italy ..... she's there at the moment looking for a property.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wonder how they print lower volume runs these days. Do they use laser printers ?
It's a clever system however it works. They call is Print on Demand or POD. The printing machines can produce just a single book bound etc just like a normal paperback. I think you may be right about them being laser printers because the big limitation of the system is the cost of colour production is prohibitive. If your book has just a single colour photograph they charge as if every page was colour and it costs nearly five times as much as black and white printing.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We may be inching towards a solution. I've replaced all the maps of France and the new file is uploading at the moment. The maps were supposed to look like this and hopefully they all do now. It isn't perfect but it is a lot better than the originals:

Leg_13.jpg

I've been in touch with Amazon and customers will have to contact them for a new book. I was hoping they could send out replacements (at my expense of course) but their system can't cope with that. Once the new edition has been uploaded I will post here again with a link to use to contact Amazon together with some suggested words to put in the email. Other words such as "idiot author" you can add at your own discretion. :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Loved the Spanish book so look forward to the next one !
Thanks and well done!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Bought and looking forward to a good read!

Sep 28, 2017
Audenshaw Manchester
Funster No
MH
Compass 180 Rambler
Exp
2017 Just started as Retirement looms in August
John

Just ordered your Book of amazon, this is my first year of MH ownership and the first real outing is Doing Italy mid September to end of October,so looking forward to reading all about the country

Good Luck in future sales

Allen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back