Dover Overnighting? (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Has anyone stayed overnight at Dover recently? We used to stay in the PAY car park but last year it was closed so we just parked in the street like everyone else.
Are any car parks allowing motorhomes now? or are we banned, yet again.
We sail early on Monday May 3rd so staying in Dover is the best option. I look forward to your replies and thanks in advance.
Wiljoy

Moley55

Free Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alnwick
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
Hi, we parked in tesco carpark and nothing was said.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Has anyone stayed overnight at Dover recently? Are any car parks allowing motorhomes now?
Hi, we parked at Marine Parade in January, that's where most people park.:Smile: Bob.
marine parade with everyone else
HI
Yes me to at marine parade over the new year just past

Hmmmm......Dover, and then Marine Parade. Neither are a good 'mix' in my book.

Marine Parade is fine as long as you clear off before 8am but that place is a very sore point to me.

Arriving in Dover last year after a chaotic journey due to exit to M20 off M25 being closed (no warnings and no alternative route), I eventually landed in Dover at 4am and totally knackered. I just drove straight on to Marine Parade and got my head down.

Weather was absolutely crazy with heavy rain bouncing off the van. Nobody in their right mind would have been out in that weather and I woke to a desolate Marine Parade. But it didn't stop the local jobsworth warden slapping a bloody ticket on my van. :Angry:

Apparently Dover parking wardens have caused endless misery to local business there. Astonishingly even the local council had the gall to admit this to me.

Marine Parade is possibly the safest and most suitable area for parking anywhere in Dover.....yet they slap daft restrictions on it.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well , I think that is unfair
marine parade is a major parking area for the town and the sea front , and is pay parking from 8am ; if you want to stay during pay periods you pay like everyone else
you can't have parking regulations which are ...as long as the weather is good

and the local shopkeepers are like everywhere else , they want the penny and the bun ...if the parking is free they whinge that people stay all day and block it , if it is pay they whinge it puts off customers

btw ,I often am there until 8.30 when the regular guy drives up , as he sees I am ready to roll [ or just arrived ] he gives me a wave and passes by ]

dover kindly allow us somewhere for the night in transit ; personally I say thanks very much

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
We found Marine Parade very noisy with constant lorry traffic and stay at the coachpark near the castle at the junction of Upper Rd and A258.
You get chased at 8am before coaches start arriving but as long as you clear out promptly there's no problem. It's 5 mins to port.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
well , I think that is unfair....
So did I. :Angry:
An empty vast expanse of road on a foul day with just one little 4.5 mtr van cluttering up the environment! :RollEyes:

What a refreshing change when parking up in a very small town in Austria, a town one tenth the size of Dover, attempting to put money in a meter when a local came rushing up to stop me......"no, no, you must not pay", she told me, "you must have disc from Tourist Office which is free for two hours and then you pay one euro for the next two and a half hours."

Park & Ride at Pankow S Bahn just outside Berlin......totally free parking all day.

Freiheit von Berlin :thumb:

durhamwasp

Free Member
Apr 6, 2010
Funster No
Ive parked on Marine Parade a few times and without problems.

Ive always taken either the 6am or 8am ferry though, so never around when the parking tickets start.

2mins drive to the Ferry Terminal.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We used to park along Marine Parade but started to get very noisy with little boys and their hair dryers on wheels:Doh: so now before we drive into Dover go onto the A256 turn off at the sign for The High and Dry about 200 yards past the pub layby , very quiet and only a few minutes to the ferry:Smile::thumb::thumb:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Anyone know if Marine Parade is still OK?

Got an 8am ferry next week and won't be down there until at least 8pm the night before. Seems from what people are saying that should be fine.

Is down by the Premier Inn a good part as that would be ideal from also getting something to eat if we make good time?

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
marine parade

have read all the comments, why do so many moan on about costs. they pay thousands for a posh van, then moan about a few bob to park fairly safe . those same jobsworths. they patrol and keep an eye on your motor when you go for a walk, yes i was there last week, if i could have found a carpark with no height barrier and not had pay a fortune that would be o k.. but i was even luckier. marine drive, close to ferry. 2. 60 for 5 hours, a rest, a wash and able to eat, was wished a safe journey by patrol officer,, what the hell do you moaners want,, oh ye, if you arrive in middle of night, just pop out and pop a few pence in machine then dont worry if you over sleep..
I for one HOPE those few SELFISH people dont mess up yet another good thing.
look what happened at aldborough, staying to long, not paying, leaving rubbish, and some even emptying toilets into the sea, and putting up awnings,, OH DEAR,,, now i sound like my MOM,,,,
please dont spoil it .. lets remember we are FUNSTERS,,,,, not moaners and takers

MARINE PARADE.. great, good . and so far still available,,,,,:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The Black Horse @ Monks Horton TN25 6AP
Welcomes stopovers in a very large car park, its free if you have a meal or £10 per night electric is £2.50 per night
about 4 mile from the tunnel.
Or there is always the 24hour Tesco just outside the town.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back