Hymer / Hella spoil my weekend again (2 Viewers)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
you really couldn’t make it up

2 years almost to the day since the last one went our headlight is broken again

I can’t 100% say it was OK when we got home but I walked past it to connect and then disconnect the electrics when we got home and left it in drive over night so am 99% sure it was OK when got home

So same as others have reported and I still think as last time for us it has self destroyed while parked :mad:

CA1F2566-F195-4C91-8D1A-FF157EFEC069.jpeg

F7CD8D68-9D8A-4519-8E14-A2961C95622A.jpeg

Much as I really hate the idea can’t see any other option than buy another, but will fit it myself this time, or get a mechanic friend to at least

Total rip off price for what send to be defective product

I will try an email to Hymer I might get luckier this time

Can’t see German owners putting up with this

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks Steve really not keen to give TW any business they made a right Horlicks of my last light change

But might have to suck it in and try them, if I can’t get one from somewhere else

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Sorry about that David.

Is it worth checking your CCTV, given the previous problem you had?

interesting, it isn't damaged other than crazed, any proper impact I am sure would put a hole in it, but I will try and review the cameras to see if it was damaged as I drove it back in last week (y), I somehow don't mind quite as much paying if accidental as poor design

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If you don't have any luck with a warranty claim have a look at sourcing one direct from a German dealer.
I did this when I needed one for the Dethleffs.
Uk price was £1013, German price for the same RHD light was €725.

think I will research this Brendan, do you think it would be right to presume that LHD and RHD would have exactly the same light unit though, that would be my luck, save a few £'s and it not work

the only other consideration for me, I can wangle the receipt through my company accounts, might be easier if in £'s not €'s, by recovering VAT and some tax it probably works out cheaper to buy it in UK

but I will research it, along with the new sink cover and worktop o_O

might just book it into Hymer for a remodel :( they can sort the fridge, the door handle, the locking latches on the cupboards amongst other things while there :)

or change the light and sell it, seems favourite right now :(

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David

That really isn't good, I did think about your CCTV as well. You might have to swallow your pride and talk to TW along the lines of not fit for purpose "pretty please"

Take some really good photos of just the glass area to point out that there are no stone chip markings.

Good luck.

Martin

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
you really couldn’t make it up

2 years almost to the day since the last one went our headlight is broken again

I can’t 100% say it was OK when we got home but I walked past it to connect and then disconnect the electrics when we got home and left it in drive over night so am 99% sure it was OK when got home

So same as others have reported and I still think as last time for us it has self destroyed while parked :mad:

View attachment 218204

View attachment 218205

Much as I really hate the idea can’t see any other option than buy another, but will fit it myself this time, or get a mechanic friend to at least

Total rip off price for what send to be defective product

I will try an email to Hymer I might get luckier this time

Can’t see German owners putting up with this

Are these lenses plastic or polycarbonate or glass ?

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
David, you should be able to get the part number off the old light, or possibly off the paperwork if you still have it from your previous bill.
That should get you one identical to the one fitted now.
I guess what you have to avoid is getting one identical to your original, now that the modifications have been made for the current one.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I'm assuming it is the nearside on a right hand drive. How do Hymer defend this? There does not appear to be impact damage and hardly a rare event.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Tempered safety glass, unlikely you would see a stone chip but probably the cause.
I remember the old windscreens , would shatter from a small road chip thrown up.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's always the left hand one, they admitted there was a problem with ones from 2006 up to about 2010. I wonder if the one TW supplied was old stock. Have a look on the back most parts these days have a label with manufacturing date.

If it is old stock give us a warning before you speak to TW I'll put my ear defends on as I'm only on the south coast.:eek:

I don't know about your HID units but the standard ones have a different dip beam unit. RHD beam kicks up to left and is adjustable for flat dipping, LHD kicks up to the right and is adjustable for flat dipping. I don't see why you couldn't buy a standard LHD unit and swap you HID unit to it. Assuming the standard and HID units are the same housing and it is only the lamp unit that is different.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Tempered safety glass, unlikely you would see a stone chip but probably the cause.
I remember the old windscreens , would shatter from a small road chip thrown up.
We have actually got a couple of small chips in one of ours I’m hoping it will last until I change the van next month.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
What you getting next?
Hi Andrea nice to hear from you how are you well I hope?
Hymer B678 DL done the haggling now just the import when we get back to Uk and get old van tarted up and clean,it’s been a good van but needs change don’t they?;)(y)(y)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Andrea nice to hear from you how are you well I hope?
Hymer B678 DL done the haggling now just the import when we get back to Uk and get old van tarted up and clean,it’s been a good van but needs change don’t they?;)(y)(y)
I’m fine Alan. I hope you’re enjoying your winter in the sun. I look forward to seeing the photos of the new van when you get it. You will best off staying away a bit longer until the resolve the ongoing Russian issues in Wiltshire. Take care.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
but I will research it, along with the new sink cover and worktop o_O

might just book it into Hymer for a remodel :( they can sort the fridge, the door handle, the locking latches on the cupboards amongst other things while there :)
Here was me thinking that Hymer's never, ever went wrong.
Silly me! :whistle::)

Richard.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have actually got a couple of small chips in one of ours I’m hoping it will last until I change the van next month.
upload_2018-3-10_14-12-36.png

Copy cat.:) Sensible choice.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I’m fine Alan. I hope you’re enjoying your winter in the sun. I look forward to seeing the photos of the new van when you get it. You will best off staying away a bit longer until the resolve the ongoing Russian issues in Wiltshire. Take care.
Yes a bit close to home for us but always expecting something like that in the area we live with Porton Down only a few miles away.
We are not due home till first week in April but the weather here in Portugal is a bit wet and windy at the moment but we’ve had a good winter overall.
Take care out there won’t you?
Alan

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

I think you got lucky, no protectors on then ? I've just bought some and about to fit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back