Do I really a need satellite TV on my roof? (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have an Oyster HD with internet on my Flair and with the roaming 4g changes, improvement in general of site wifi together with our powerful roof based antenna solution, I am looking at how much we have used it in the last 2 years and I have come to the conclusion that I will not worry about satellite internet on our new Morelo.
Most of our travelling is in Europe and the satellite TV is a non starter and lets not go into Icecrypt, so historically I have recorded at home loads of series drama stuff and loaded that onto a terabyte USB drive which I hook to the TV on the van. We don't watch soaps and stuff at home and when away we maybe watch an hour or so in the evening from off of drive.
So I am now thinking do I need a TV satellite on the roof and £3k plus up there I wont use personally.
The question, is there a benefit down the road when I may want to PX it? Seems to me not as the dealer who is taking my Flair only asked what year it was?
What's your call?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A dealer will only give you what the current market trade value stands at......which will be quite a bit less than retail value, they have to make money.
Any extras WILL be listed when it's resold though to increase his profit.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had an Oyster on our first van, just put a cheap Snipe on the last one, did consider not bothering with one on this van but a few hundred quid for Snipe not too bad for occasional use so I fitted one. Not too bothered either way as we never watch any soaps either, always take a stack of DVD's with us.

Snipe a bit cheap & nasty for Morelo.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Had an Oyster on our first van, just put a cheap Snipe on the last one, did consider not bothering with one on this van but a few hundred quid for Snipe not too bad for occasional use so I fitted one. Not too bother either way as we never watch any soaps either, always take a stack of DVD's with us.

Snipe a bit cheap & nasty for Morelo.:ROFLMAO:
Yup, I think extra space for more solar, has a better cache!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Got a maxview dish, doubt I have used it in 5-6 years.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have an Oyster HD with internet on my Flair and with the roaming 4g changes, improvement in general of site wifi together with our powerful roof based antenna solution, I am looking at how much we have used it in the last 2 years and I have come to the conclusion that I will not worry about satellite internet on our new Morelo.
Most of our travelling is in Europe and the satellite TV is a non starter and lets not go into Icecrypt, so historically I have recorded at home loads of series drama stuff and loaded that onto a terabyte USB drive which I hook to the TV on the van. We don't watch soaps and stuff at home and when away we maybe watch an hour or so in the evening from off of drive.
So I am now thinking do I need a TV satellite on the roof and £3k plus up there I wont use personally.
The question, is there a benefit down the road when I may want to PX it? Seems to me not as the dealer who is taking my Flair only asked what year it was?
What's your call?

Sorry to diverse but can you give me a simple rundown on how you get tv stuff on a memory stick please...(n)

Thanks

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Sorry to diverse but can you give me a simple rundown on how you get tv stuff on a memory stick please...(n)

Thanks
I have 2 Humax at home the older HDR T2, I set them to record stuff, and either copy it over the network onto my server for storage or straight onto the drive. There is an issue with HD content as that is "sort" of encrypted to not play on anything but the originating device. However there is a modified Humax package which removes the flags and also does loads of other stuff too. But most recorders with a USB slot will let you copy out your SD recordings.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
What on earth would any sensible person, with an IQ above that of a Mollusc want to watch the crap that is fraudently offered as "entertainment" on the idiot box?
Go for a walk, admire the scenery, read a book, make new friends, talk to the light of your life, gaze in wonder at the night Stars mother natures Disco.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Whatever a "Mollusc" is I am sure I am lower in the food chain... Radio 4 and the F1 is good for us bottom feeders ;)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
What on earth would any sensible person, with an IQ above that of a Mollusc want to watch the crap that is fraudently offered as "entertainment" on the idiot box?
With that silly comment, you have just directly insulted hundreds of Funsters. Shame on you.

And unless I am mistaken, it's still a free, democratic country.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
With that silly comment, you have just directly insulted hundreds of Funsters. Shame on you.

And unless I am mistaken, it's still a free, democratic country.

Oh woopee doopee doo!
Everyone is entitled to their own take on life, and if you want to sit mesmerised watching the idiot box and miss so much going on around you, retiring to your enclave, go for it!
ME? I agree whole heartedly with the line in red, so I think my cyber friend, that by your own words, you are "hoist with your own Petard"

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Oh woopee doopee doo!
Everyone is entitled to their own take on life, and if you want to sit mesmerised watching the idiot box and miss so much going on around you, retiring to your enclave, go for it!
ME? I agree whole heartedly with the line in red, so I think my cyber friend, that by your own words, you are "hoist with your own Petard"
Oh dear. Too busy to enter an argument. I'm out of here.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Go for a walk, admire the scenery, read a book, make new friends, talk to the light of your life, gaze in wonder at the night Stars mother natures Disco.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Well I for one will be taking my Sky box to Norway in May and watching some of the World Cup if we're still there when it starts. I shall enjoy the spectacular scenery and visiting friends in two or three places and sampling some of the expensive food but at the end of the day, literally, I want to relax, put my feet up and watch a bit of TV.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You know what happens when you go for a walk....... you end up in Danny’s bar..... :D

Much more entertaining than TV :Eeek:

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
You could get yourself a free standing dish and just take it along if there was something particular you wanted to watch.(much cheaper and one less hole to drill in the roof)
We have one that came with our first van and other than to try it out once it's never left home in eight years
We do have a few DVDs in the van just incase the weather turns nasty

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
What gives you the right to tell people how to live there lives!
Maybe if you had turned on your television lately you could have watched great indoor athletics, Winter Olympics, six nations rugby, snooker formula E to name a few. Plus many radio stations
Many people television is there lifeline.
When I read your reply to wife here comment was what condescending xxxxard
are all forum members like that. I told her only a few.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Maybe if you had turned on your television lately you could have watched great indoor athletics, Winter Olympics, six nations rugby, snooker formula E to name a few. Plus many radio stations
I bet he spends more time on his computer idiot box, than we do on our TV idiot box.

He should turn his PC off and take his own advice.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time

Oh dear! some one has a hissy fit hasn't one!

Joining in 2008 I expect you don't need to be reminded, you "attack" the post, not the Poster who posted post.

Signed Condescending xxxxard :lips::moon2:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I bet he spends more time on his computer idiot box, than we do on out TV idiot box.

Not too much time on that either, generally more gainfully employed, or, reading.
The dross that is presently offered on the idiot box as entertainment, Cooks, Real Estate, Xfactor, Any reality rubbish, "Game Shows" I haven't the slightest interest in.
I watch Rugby, there doesn't seem to be too much of that on Terrestrial TV, Hate Soccar
I find I can find more interesting things to do with my time, than sat like a big lemon watching the Idiot Box, especially now the evenings are starting to lighten up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back