European motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Is now the last time to order your new motorhome before tariffs are applied ? or do you think (say) EHG will build a plant here to manufacture motorhomes/caravans ?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Is that suggesting panic buying?
There's loads of people who buy in Europe and ship across and IF and WHEN there might be tariffs applied, there'll be loads of time to order rather than 'in case there might be'

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
EHG already have a plant here at Consett, I think they may have seen the writing on the wall, its called Elddis.

"Our heritage stretches back to 1964 and today Elddis, Compass, Xplore and Buccaneer touring caravans and Elddis motorhomes are still produced in Consett, County Durham. In February 2017 we became part of the Erwin Hymer Group and now operate as Erwin Hymer Group UK Ltd."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't think there will be any taffifs on vehicles too much to lose by both sides.
We are the Germans biggest export market for cars and the Japs build cars here for export to Europe neither side will want tariffs.

Any way if they did impose some would an extra few percent stop you buying your dream vehicle. Also once all the Brexit crap calms down and the pound recovers a bit if there were tariffs prices would be about the same as now.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think the £ to € is more of an issue on the final price than any notional tariffs, get that sorted and we are all "Quids in"

Martin

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
EHG already have a plant here at Consett, I think they may have seen the writing on the wall, its called Elddis.

"Our heritage stretches back to 1964 and today Elddis, Compass, Xplore and Buccaneer touring caravans and Elddis motorhomes are still produced in Consett, County Durham. In February 2017 we became part of the Erwin Hymer Group and now operate as Erwin Hymer Group UK Ltd."
That was my original thought when they bought elddis out also the same when the trigano group bought auto trail and also the psa group buying Vauxhall for the Ellesmere Port and Luton plants

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
That was my original thought when they bought elddis out also the same when the trigano group bought auto trail and also the psa group buying Vauxhall for the Ellesmere Port and Luton plants
The low value of the pound makes UK companies cheap to buy. But it's good news that the major players want to be in the UK although I have doubts about Peugeot's intentions. Hymer will be good for Eldiss.
All this despite brexit as the BBC would say.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
The low value of the pound makes UK companies cheap to buy. But it's good news that the major players want to be in the UK although I have doubts about Peugeot's intentions. Hymer will be good for Eldiss.
I agree it can only be a positive for britsh jobs and if by the Hymer Group buying elddis it might keep the price of new hymers away from any import taxes and gives the Hymer owners more choice of service centres and maybe dealers that's a win for the motorhome buyers

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp

Is it good news that these companies are insuring themselves against trade barriers by buying devalued UK companies. It also seems these companies unlike UK companies have the resources to plan ahead.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Why aren't UK MH converters buying continental MH converters?

Why is it that the big groups like EHG and Trigano keep taking over UK businesses, not the other way round?

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010

Why is it that the big groups like EHG and Trigano keep taking over UK businesses, not the other way round?

Because European buyers are a little more discerning in what they buy plus the build quality of UK built MH's would not be tolerated in Europe.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Or, it might be that the City money men are not putting M&A deals together because they don't understand the MH and caravan industry, and would rather carry on selling their granny to the highest bidder.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
EU tariff on imported cars is 10% (taking US produced cars as an example), given the pound / euro has fluctuated by more than that in recent years is it that significant.

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I don't think there will be any taffifs on vehicles too much to lose by both sides.
We are the Germans biggest export market for cars and the Japs build cars here for export to Europe neither side will want tariffs.

Any way if they did impose some would an extra few percent stop you buying your dream vehicle. Also once all the Brexit crap calms down and the pound recovers a bit if there were tariffs prices would be about the same as now.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...da-car-manufacturing-deal-trade-a8201286.html

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp

Because the Euro is to high to make them affordable and there is little credit available for that kind of deal. If you add to that the traditional city short term view on investment there is little hope of UK companies expanding into Europe for a long time

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Because the Euro is to high to make them affordable and there is little credit available for that kind of deal. If you add to that the traditional city short term view on investment there is little hope of UK companies expanding into Europe for a long time

Or, the UK's major players like Swift and Bailey missed the European M&A boat when credit was plentiful and the Euro was cheaper. They seem totally focussed on the UK.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Slightly confused by this link. For me it went to an article dated 18 Jan 2000 about whether we should join the new currency, the Euro. Toyota saying they will leave if we don't scrap the pound and join the EMU.
So what happened? Thank God we took no notice of Toyota's threats.

I was just making the point that Toyota's reason for leaving the UK will be because we did not join the Euro not because of Brexit. Or maybe they will not bother leaving at all :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back