What problems to look for on brand new Moho & weirdest (1 Viewer)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Our hand over is booked for 27th so have arranged to go and check over next week. Fully expect to spend a good proportion of the day and want to put a checklist together covering base vehicle and hab area.

Any problems you have had that I may not think of,especially any weird faults you may have experienced.

All suggestions appreciated.

Paul

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
What is the make and model of the vehicle and is it new?

We had issues with the tech tower in two of the vehicles we bought but if you don't have them it won't be applicable to your situation.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
In my case when picking up a caravan from the dealers check for minor damage as my van had a nice round hole in the rear window from a golf ball the ball was still on the bed .Then another time with my first brand new motorhome there was a large black scuff on the bumper ,the salesman had managed to hit another motorhome when bringing it from the back of the showroom ,he never mentioned it but I did and got a full tank of juice in return, the mark came off with a bit of polish and some elbow grease.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
I've read a few reviews of a dealer
Changing used caravans as in
Someone ordered a. 2012 model and they tried to swap it with a 2010 model there were two reviews detailing this not sure if they got away with it
Check the entire mh carefully outside and inside
Scratches dents bits missing make sure everything is working as it should and everything on the spec list is actually there.
On our majestic the t.v bracket wasn't there neither were the sofa bolsters dealer tried saying this model didn't come with them until I got the brochure out and point them out
Only when your totally satisfied then and only then hand over the payment or sign the credit agreement
As always buyer beware these guys a professional sales people and are very good at hiding stuff
I've made a check list and the mh brochure to take with us when we pick our new one up next week

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
When I picked up my "Brand New" MoHo from one of the biggest UK dealers, they failed to mention it was ex-demo last years model from a company that no longer existed. Autocruise had gone pop 4 months earlier. I thought I was buying a Swift MoHo (ordered it on the Swift stand at the NEC) but I got an ex-bankrupt stock, Autocruise, with no warranty.

If you start from the assumption that the dealer is a fraud and a crook with only their interests at heart, you won't be far out.

Caveat emptor I believe is the expression.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
When I picked up my "Brand New" MoHo from one of the biggest UK dealers, they failed to mention it was ex-demo last years model from a company that no longer existed. Autocruise had gone pop 4 months earlier. I thought I was buying a Swift MoHo (ordered it on the Swift stand at the NEC) but I got an ex-bankrupt stock, Autocruise, with no warranty.

If you start from the assumption that the dealer is a fraud and a crook with only their interests at heart, you won't be far out.

Caveat emptor I believe is the expression.

Staggering!! I assume you refused to buy it?

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Staggering!! I assume you refused to buy it?

Nope I was fooled although I did query the mileage 350 miles and I was told it was delivery and getting the satellite TV and towbar fitted.

It was only a couple of days later when I was having the tracker fitted (Insurance required a tracker over £50,000) the installer said you're van is a hybrid, it's got the latest Swift interior, but it's an one year old van.

Then the s**t hit the fan.

I threatened legal action and M**uis settled out of court with a 4 figure discount.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
All suggestions appreciated.

Paul

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring.

It takes weeks rather than days for a new van to "sink in".

Information Overload comes into play.

Your real essentials to get going, may not be included, are gas and hook up cable and water.

How to use the toilet if you have never used a MH one.

How to set the fridge for you correct temperature for Bollinger.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Nope I was fooled although I did query the mileage 350 miles and I was told it was delivery and getting the satellite TV and towbar fitted.

It was only a couple of days later when I was having the tracker fitted (Insurance required a tracker over £50,000) the installer said you're van is a hybrid, it's got the latest Swift interior, but it's an one year old van.

Then the s**t hit the fan.

I threatened legal action and M**uis settled out of court with a 4 figure discount.

I seem to remember threads here where people have explained the one year old chassis on a new vehicle. I believe its because the chassis is ordered in from, say, Fiat and then it awaits the installation of the body of the motorhome. I don't think it means that your motorhome was an ex-demo. Why didn't you get a warranty?

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I seem to remember threads here where people have explained the one year old chassis on a new vehicle. I believe its because the chassis is ordered in from, say, Fiat and then it awaits the installation of the body of the motorhome. I don't think it means that your motorhome was an ex-demo. Why didn't you get a warranty?

Because the manufacturer had gone bankrupt, although I ordered on the Swift stand at the NEC and thought I'd bought a Swift vehicle, when I phoned Swift direct with the VIN number they told me I had no warranty, it was not a Swift vehicle.

It had been bought from the receivers manufactured by Autocruise the month before they went into administration.

Part of the out of court settlement was M***uis bought me an insurance backed warranty, but had it developed a major fault ie damp or bodywork failure I'm not sure how much good that would have been.

I was naive and made the simple mistake of letting them introduce me to my new vehicle and they lead me through the things they wanted to cover, without taking my own time and check list. One mistake I made was not having the manufacturers marketing material with me. I have been to NEC seen about 20 new vehicles, got down to a shortlist of 3, then down to 2, then bought on getting the deal I wanted. Six weeks later when I was told "your van is ready", I'd forgotten things like the body decals and all the hatches. I did query why they looked a bit different, and was assured "they change them from van to van, maybe the one at the show had extras I hadn't ordered". I was naive.

Paul & Kate are doing the right thing, getting their own checklist together and quizzing the dealer on validity of statement.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Good to know that the dealer agreed to settle with you! :)

There was a guy on the forum a few months ago who had bought a Hymer and found out 6 months later that the back panel was badly distorted. I felt it was all a bit odd to be honest and, as far as I know, he didn't let us know what the outcome of it all was. I'm sure the OP doesn't need to be told to check the bodywork... but perhaps its worth a mention.

Deleted User
Our first new motorhome had half the exhaust pipe missing, I couldn’t understand why it was so noisy. When I took it back to the dealer he just shrugged and said “they must have borrowed it”

Spongy

OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
@Paul and Kate What are you replacing your 155 with?

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Get a weighbridge certificate and satisfy yourself you have sufficient payload.

OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
Check the boiler and fridge work

Surely the engineer checks the basics? I thought I would need to check for minor detail they might miss.

That is worrying

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
We picked up a new chausson. Drove away to discover the engine not charging the habitation battery. Noticed the light on the switch board was off. This due to a fuse in a relay having blown. An employee on his way home explained all and gave me a fuse as the dealer was closing so luckily all sorted.

So get the handover in the morning!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Surely the engineer checks the basics? I thought I would need to check for minor detail they might miss.

That is worrying

Shirley might but don't trust the seller to check the basics. They will just assume that it must work.
Check everything, water ,taps ,shower ,toilet all work fridge works on everything, cooker lights. If they state they don't supply gas bottles , not really good enough but insist that it is connected to a gas cylinder to test everything & accept nothing less.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I would suggest spending your first night on the premises to check things work and are to your satisfaction at your leisure before driving away... That way any faults can be addressed the following day before you depart...

OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
@Paul and Kate the 75-2 was out of our price range and we got a dealer special with awning, solar panel, bike rack, alarm, mirror protectors and alloys for under £50k so very happy

OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
@AXO66 looks like I need to take a multimeter as well then.

OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
I don’t want to wait until I have paid before I test it although they have offered a free night at their campsite.

I would rather test before hand over so if any massive issues I can be strong and delay handover rather trying to walk away on day of handover after excitement has built up.

Can’t help feeling once money handed over there might not be quite the same urgency to fix things.

From what others have said my cynicism might protect me a little

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
When we bought our first MH we made a checklist and spend a good 3-4 hours going over everythinhg in the showroom to make sure it worked. All seemed fine and then when you are out and about you fnd all he little things you missed. WE had a lot of little things, but nothing too major. We bought from Brownhills. Sales and handover was graet, but after slaes not so great unless you persevere.

My advice would be take you time, be thorough and do not rush. Arrange to collect the van early in the morning and spend all day if you need to.

Sep 8, 2017
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4
Exp
Since March 2015
Glad to see more and more Dealers offering overnight stays at nearby sites when collecting new Motorhomes. The reality is, no matter how thorough you feel the handover has been, how long your checklist is, the first time you use the Motorhome you will have many more questions and often problems caused by inexperience and resulting ignorance.

When we purchased our first Motorhome, we booked a couple of nights at a nearby site to “try it out”. Big mistake to book in for Friday and Saturday night as although the Dealer was open over the weekend only the Sales Team were working. We had no heating as we couldn’t get the Alde Heating system to work. It was the first weekend in March and freezing. The Warden at the site very kindly lent us an electric oil filled heater which kept us warm on the Friday night. First thing Saturday morning we had to nag the Sakes Team to get their Service Manager to at least phone us to help us to see the error of our ways as I was certain it was something we were or weren’t setting correctly rather than a defective system. By lunchtime Saturday we were toastie warm. Simple mistake, we had set the water on full power and set the heating for 26 degrees. The circulation on the heating system was being overiden by the priority to water! That really was the start though of the “We have had your money - you are on your own now” attitude from the Dealer.

Needless to say, we didn’t purchase our next Motorhome from them and when choosing the dealership our priority was obtaining customer reviews by direct recommendation of the after sales service they had received. Continental Leisure Vehicles at Llanelli have been brilliant.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back