Free Member
Jun 21, 2012
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2012, now on our third MH.
Morning all. I will be 70 next year and want to retain the C1 on my licence for over 3500kg MH. Can anyone tell me the current requirements for this and what cost and hassle is involved. Looked on DVLA but haven't found it yet. TIA John

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I had mine done in January this year. Paid £50 to D4 Medicals, turned up at local hotel, doctor did vision test, took blood pressure, recorded which blood pressure tablets I take and asked me some health related questions. She signed off the form she provided (D4) and I completed it along with D2.
Sent off and got my licence back 1 week later with C1 for another 3 years.
Simple if in good health, no charge for renewing licence either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Morning John,
As said above by @Bailey58 there are lots of threads at the bottom of the page but in brief.....
You have to have a form D4 from DVLA filled in by a doctor and have your eyes tested. You then send the completed forms in to DVLA

If you look at this page
https://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms
It shows you how to start

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Easy peasy as above if you have no medical issues. In my case £48 medical & £10 eye test. The medical comprised a few question about medical history, blood pressure, weight check. 10 minutes all in.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
D2 is the form for any licence renewal - just make sure you apply for the right categories, including C1

also

D4 (Medical form) as said above, completed by any European qualified Doctor.

D4 form must be completed within the 4 months before licence expiry date.

You can apply up to 3 months before expiry but the new licence will run for 3 years from date of issue so you may be losing some weeks. If licence is not issued by expiry date you can continue to drive if application has not been refused, but only in UK.

D4 can be downloaded off the nternet, but not D2, because of place tostick photo, so apply on-line for D2/D4 Pack to be sent to you.

Geoff

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Nobody ever mentions the £17 for a new photograph or are you all using Oil of Ulay?
:D

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Nobody ever mentions the £17 for a new photograph or are you all using Oil of Ulay?
The charge for a new photo is quite confusing on the website and documentation.
When I renewed my C1 licence last November I included a cheque for £17 as I wasn't sure if it was required and didn't want to delay the new licence being issued.
Within a few days I had a payment back from DVLA for the £17. Strangely, they issued a new payment rather than just send my cheque back.

Richard.

OP
OP
C

ChristineandJohn

Free Member
Jun 21, 2012
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2012, now on our third MH.
Thank you all for the clear and helpful answers. I'd been given confusing advice so thought I'd ask here :) Also found the searches, thanks again.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
The charge for a new photo is quite confusing on the website and documentation.
When I renewed my C1 licence last November I included a cheque for £17 as I wasn't sure if it was required and didn't want to delay the new licence being issued.
Within a few days I had a payment back from DVLA for the £17. Strangely, they issued a new payment rather than just send my cheque back.

Richard.
Before we applied for Ann’s renewal for C1, we spoke to DVLA. As both our licences are 10 years old we will need new photos and pay £17 which is what we sent a week ago. Mine not until December. We will see what comes back! Mike

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
On my recent application D2/D4 (awaiting return from DVLA) it stated on the form that I do not require a photo, however, if I wanted to update my photo then I could include with application with no charge. I will do this next year so I don't have to renew at the 10 year period

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
It seems there is still confusion about paying £17.
@Ex-caravantugger was told to pay up but @EX51SSS was told the opposite.
I think the thing to do is what I did if there is any doubt. Send a cheque and they will refund if nor required.

Richard.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
It seems there is still confusion about paying £17.
@Ex-caravantugger was told to pay up but @EX51SSS was told the opposite.
I think the thing to do is what I did if there is any doubt. Send a cheque and they will refund if nor required.

Richard.
Ah! I wasn't told the opposite, it stated it on the D2 plus printed on the front, it stated no photo is required unless I wish to update.
Just to ensure that I'd filled the forms in correctly (as opposed to incorrectly), I did phone to check that I must include my current (in date) driving licence, not include my passport (it was a, strange thing. Under one section, I could fill in my passport number but not to send original and the next section said documents that are accepted. I'd have thought that if I'd completed the previous section, it would say 'go to X (just can't remember the number)) and is it free if charge. Yes to licence. No to passport and yes FOC.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
DVLA states that to renew entitlement or renew at 70 (70+) it is free.
So as I was renewing as I was becoming 70 AND purpose was to renew entitlement it would be free.
Sent existing licence and gave my passport number. They used my existing photo. New licence arrived no problem.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
re the C1 licence application. Can this be done in retrospect ie when you are say 71. If you just apply with the D2 forms to renew the licence for under 3.5tonnes at 70 and then reapply at a later time to renew the C1?

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Just a quick note regards driving in Europe whilst waiting for a decision Regards your licence at 70 .You can still drive in Europe whilst waiting for a decision Regards renewing your licence .Whilst waiting last year for a decision just to be safe I asked the DVLA for a cover note to say I was still on the list of legal drivers until a decision is made and it was duly provided . Fortunately did not need to produce.Happy to see my new licence laid on the door mat, when returning four months later.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
re the C1 licence application. Can this be done in retrospect ie when you are say 71. If you just apply with the D2 forms to renew the licence for under 3.5tonnes at 70 and then reapply at a later time to renew the C1?
My friend had all the lorry licence entitlements. Got to 70 and renewed licence, did not think or check C1 etc gone, MH is 3850 so needed C1. Saw doctor, got D4 and D2 done and sent off to DVLA to claim entitlement
Despite being 74 no problem, licence came back with C1, but health must be OK which his was.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
My friend had all the lorry licence entitlements. Got to 70 and renewed licence, did not think or check C1 etc gone, MH is 3850 so needed C1. Saw doctor, got D4 and D2 done and sent off to DVLA to claim entitlement
Despite being 74 no problem, licence came back with C1, but health must be OK which his was.

Just a word of warning about not renewing C1 at 70, but wanting to do it subsequently.

Some time ago I read on another forum that there seemed to be a difference between

A Drivers who had passed a C1 test, or higher

and

B Drivers who had the C1 up to 70, but based on a B licence obtained before 1997.(Grandfather rights)

That post quoted someone in the second category who asking for renewal after 70 and was told that a C1 test would be required.

Of course we know DVLA staff make mistakes(many).

However, I recommend anyone who has Grandfather rights for C1 and is considering to let the C1 lapse at 70 to check with DVLA about later renewal. Anyway, having the D4 Medical would be a test of whether one is likely to pass it later, and can only be a cost of £50-100 at the right place, with no fee for the licence itself.

Geoff

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Th
Just a word of warning about not renewing C1 at 70, but wanting to do it subsequently.

However, I recommend anyone who has Grandfather rights for C1 and is considering to let the C1 lapse at 70 to check with DVLA about later renewal. Anyway, having the D4 Medical would be a test of whether one is likely to pass it later, and can only be a cost of £50-100 at the right place, with no fee for the licence itself.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff, its not a medical issue but timing, I would have to do the medical tests, probably post application so was just concerned if we would br in the uk or not .(y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My licence is the old green one and there is no photograph so Do they use the old passport one or do I send one in does it need certifying like passport one do???? got a year to go but could change to a new one now then a straight change of licence with medical form.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I believe they will use the one as per your passport and no charge either, however you will be obliged to have a Photo card licence so may have to pay ???

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
Before we applied for Ann’s renewal for C1, we spoke to DVLA. As both our licences are 10 years old we will need new photos and pay £17 which is what we sent a week ago. Mine not until December. We will see what comes back! Mike
Hi again. We’ve just got back from our latest trip to find Ann’s licence on the mat. There was an issue over her eyesight. She failed the D1 side and sent her a form to ask if she just wanted C1 or a D1 retest. We agreed this and sent it off before leaving. She has C1 only now. They also sent her £17 back but most interestingly dated her licence from 23rd March. The licence was sent on the 27th Feb and ran out on the 28th, her 70th birthday. Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back