Urgent advice needed "Gaslow" (3 Viewers)

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Hi everyone

I'm currently in spain and just filled up lpg at a repsol garage for the first time since being in spain and gas is now leaking out the side of the main hose in next to the first Gaslow bottle, it's leaking and crystallising....I will add a pic for you to see, I called Gaslow and they wasn't too helpful to be honest, I'm sat in the repsol garage not knowing what to do so please any advise is great. Thanks
20180306_123456.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
looks like its rusted through and leaking. should stop in a few minutes as the non return valve will keep contents in the bottle. just the remnants of liquid in the leaking pipe. it needs replacing before filling again but if the non return valve is ok wont affect normal use

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
THIS IS NOT A DEFINITIVE ANSWER,

But i wouldnt over worry about it. Looks to me that you have potentially overfilled and the pressure is releasing at the weakest point. When the pressure goes down it wont leak out.
Potential courses of action (if i am right) is to reseal the weak joint. Check you are only filling to 80 per cent. Or only fill to less than 80 per cent where pressure wont cause this issue.

Somebody might be along soon with a better answer though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
oh and not being condescending, DON'T TOUCH the pipe till it has warmed up

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I know nothing about Gaslow - I have the Alugas bottles fitted... But!... Would have thought that there would be a non-return valve - at that end. It would seem a little daft to have the flexi pipe under continual pressure - in case of rupture.

My logic would be to tap the brass fitting - in case such a NR valve has somehow stuck!

Other than that - I await someone who knows the system to give you advice in the hope that you can sort it quickly

OP
OP
J

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
looks like its rusted through and leaking. should stop in a few minutes as the non return valve will keep contents in the bottle. just the remnants of liquid in the leaking pipe. it needs replacing before filling again but if the non return valve is ok wont affect normal use
Ok thank you mate, a big sigh of relief. Gaslow said they can send me a pipe out but we have no idea where we will be and we are using aires, do you think I could get that pipe replaced in spain? Cheers

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
sourcing the pipe in spain may be tricky but its easy enough to replace diy

Sep 28, 2017
Audenshaw Manchester
Funster No
MH
Compass 180 Rambler
Exp
2017 Just started as Retirement looms in August
Type myLPG.eu in your Browser it gives you all the dealers in Spain and beyond

Hope that helps

OP
OP
J

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I just want to say Louise from Gaslow could not have been more helpful, she sourced me a replacement pipe in spain in the end and covered the cost too "AMAZING" the first phone call I think Gaslow wasn't too sure what I ment but after more communications and pics they sorted it. I'm really impressed so thank you Gaslow.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
THIS IS NOT A DEFINITIVE ANSWER,

But i wouldnt over worry about it. Looks to me that you have potentially overfilled and the pressure is releasing at the weakest point. When the pressure goes down it wont leak out.
Potential courses of action (if i am right) is to reseal the weak joint. Check you are only filling to 80 per cent. Or only fill to less than 80 per cent where pressure wont cause this issue.

Somebody might be along soon with a better answer though

Certainly not definitive. If you have overfilled it means the 80% cut off valve has failed, and if you use your gas inside the van you will end up with liquid gas coming through.

If thats the filling hose I would presume as other people have said its just the residue from the fill so should stop after a bit.

I am not qualified to advise what to do other than keep any ignition sources away from your van

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm thinking that if that pipe that is leaking goes from the fitting on the bottle comes from the outside fill connection it might be under tension and has caused a leak where it goes from rigid to flexy. If this is correct is there any way to reroute the pipe to release any stress perhaps?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Certainly not definitive. If you have overfilled it means the 80% cut off valve has failed, and if you use your gas inside the van you will end up with liquid gas coming through.

If thats the filling hose I would presume as other people have said its just the residue from the fill so should stop after a bit.

I am not qualified to advise what to do other than keep any ignition sources away from your van

Overfilling may cause higher pressure than usual but wouldn't the regulator stop any liquid gas passing through it, after all it is there to regulate the pressure. I don't know if this is the case, just wondering. Perhaps someone will be along who does know. In any case the issue is not so serious as first thought and a new pipe will cure it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Overfilling may cause higher pressure than usual but wouldn't the regulator stop any liquid gas passing through it, after all it is there to regulate the pressure. I don't know if this is the case, just wondering. Perhaps someone will be along who does know. In any case the issue is not so serious as first thought and a new pipe will cure it.
I have read that you should turn off your bottles while filling to avoid over pressurising the regulator, and it seems to make sense. My understanding is that the leak is on the filling side of the system so the ice crystals will have built up as the pipe leaked as it was filling but should sort itself out once the fill has stopped and the pipe has emptied itself, But yes it needs sorting.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I do agree with what you say and yes the pipes do look a bit rusty but I thought that genuine "Gaslow" were Stainless Steel?, you can see that the other ones are plastic sheathed and have "Gaslow" markings and they are also SS.

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I do agree with what you say and yes the pipes do look a bit rusty but I thought that genuine "Gaslow" were Stainless Steel?, you can see that the other ones are plastic sheathed and have "Gaslow" markings and they are also SS.

Martin
The 'faulty' pipe does look a bit suspect to me too as the end doesn't match my genuine Gaslow pipes from when we got our system back in 2009 .... I'm wondering if for some reason this pipe was used instead of a Gaslow one when the system was installed.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The 'faulty' pipe does look a bit suspect to me too as the end doesn't match my genuine Gaslow pipes from when we got our system back in 2009 .... I'm wondering if for some reason this pipe was used instead of a Gaslow one when the system was installed.

Just noticed that too Minxy, no plastic sheathing on it either and looks to be leaking from the crimped ferrule, I wonder if it was a bespoke one ?

OP
OP
J

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you so much Louise at Gaslow, we finally reached Almeria and picked up our new Gaslow pipe, you saved our travels haha.
20180314_160700.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The crimp has failed where the hose connects to the spigot.
Replacement is the ONLY safe option.
I think you will find that these hoses are fully welded and it will be the stainless liner that has failed, same result though and it needs (and most likely has by now) replacing.

Martin

OP
OP
J

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
That Gaslow hose I just got today came with a 15 year warranty :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back