Sky plus in motorhome (1 Viewer)

nannas-boy

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Funster No
Is it possible to have sky plus in a motorhome? We do have a sky box in the motorhome but we haven't got a card, are we able to subscribe to sky for sky plus in the motorhome? And if we can how much would it be?or can you only do that in the house. We are completely lost with this lot, we much appreciate your help. Thank you

Apr 19, 2009
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Sky+

I've been wondering about it this weekend as i have a dish fitted on the rv but it is the old pace box and the sky plus card from home works on some channels but not on sport or movies.wondering if i could take my sky plus box from home and use it with the card as the box is configured to take the card.maybe some one will answer both our questions.regards Andy:thumb:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I've been wondering about it this weekend as i have a dish fitted on the rv but it is the old pace box and the sky plus card from home works on some channels but not on sport or movies.wondering if i could take my sky plus box from home and use it with the card as the box is configured to take the card.maybe some one will answer both our questions.regards Andy:thumb:

You can have your Sky Plus box in your van but you would need an LNB with a duel outlet fitted to your dish to get the recording part plus 240v to run the box, HTH

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2009
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Sky+

You can have your Sky Plus box in your van but you would need an LNB with a duel outlet fitted to your dish to get the recording part plus 240v to run the box, HTH
hi,thanks for the info.The dish if i recall on the RV has the dual LNB,at home my sky box packed in and i aquired a sky plus box from a friendly neighbour.When i changed my subscription to sky plus the operator told me i needed the dual LNB,but said if you are not going to record you could still use the box as normal.thanks again Andy:thumb:

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
You don't need a dual lnb, it simply means that with a single feed you can only watch or record one channel at a time ie you can't watch BBC1 and record ITV at the same time. VMax

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
We have Sky+ in our RV. No doubt Bryan will post on here when he gets in ::bigsmile:. I don't really know how it works just know that I never have to miss my favourite programmes.

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Hi,

We have Sky Plus in our motorhome and it is fantastic and we can enjoy all the benefits of live pause and the recording of 2 channels at the same time features that we enjoy at home. :Smile:

Firstly, as others quite rightly say, you will need a twin LNB satellite system installed as a single LNB system will not operate the Sky Plus set up. We originally swapped our first Oyster system; that was initially installed by Transleisure of Newark, from a single LNB Oyster system to the Oyster twin LNB system and this was done by Transleisure when they were still in business. For an additional fee, they swapped our complete system over for us and we have enjoyed Sky plus in the motorhome ever since. This was when Sky plus was first introduced onto the market and we were one of the first to have this system installed in our motorhome. It is an excellent system and we have now had it swapped over from our last 2 previous motorhomes to our current one and it has never let us down in almost 5 years!

My best friend has recently had her Oyster system upgraded to a twin LNB by "Snellyvision" and he just fitted some kind of device to her existing system, admittedly it is NOT the same as our set up and does not have all the same features etc., but it does what they want it to do and it means they could have Sky plus in their van if they wanted to! Although she isn't a Sky subscriber and therefore doesn't have a Sky plus digi box, she does use a Freeview system that allows her to enjoy all the benefits of being able to record 2 channels at the same time and she can also enjoy the same live pause features as you can with Sky plus; she is thrilled to bits with this system, especially as there is no monthly subscription fees to fork out for and for those who don't subscribe to Sky, it sounds like a brilliant alternative? I think the Freeview box she has in her motorhome is called a Humax or something like that?

Now as for taking the Sky plus digi box that you have at home with you on every trip and having to keep bringing it in and out of the home etc., we have found a solution to this and we now have a Sky plus digi box permanently wired up in our motorhome with it's own Sky plus viewing card and thankfully, we no longer have to faff about connecting our Sky plus digi box up or having to keep remembering to bring along our Sky plus viewing card every time we go away.

For an additional fee, we subscribe to a multi room package at home which allows us to have a Sky plus digi box in any other room in the house and if we so desire, our package will allow us to have it's own independent Sky plus digi box and Sky plus viewing card in every bedroom! This means the user can operate, watch, record or live pause a totally seperate programme to what the others in the home may be watching. It is not like our previous multi room package; which meant we all had to watch the same programme as everyone else in the house and now each room could basically have it's own independent digi box operated by it's own individual viewing card! We have a 4 bedroom house but now that our kids have all flown the nest, we only take advantage of this feature in one of the bedrooms and so the other sky plus digi box has now become a permanent feature in our motorhome; we just leave it there with the viewing card installed in the card slot and simply forget about it! We have never encountered any technical problems with our set up and we can happily enjoy all the channels we subscribe to at home, even when travelling around Europe! :Smile:

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions I will do my best to answer them.

Sue

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi nannas-boy,

What Sue states is perfectly correct, you can have a multi room package and use the second box in your motorhome. However, Sue must be one of the lucky ones who has managed to sort out a second box without a telephone line.

Sky rules state that it must be connected to the same phone line as the original box which stops you paying £10 a month and letting your neighbour/friend/relative use it thereby evading the £50 plus for a single subscription.

I can confirm this is the case because when we had our multi room box installed in Eleanor's bedroom the fitter said it did not matter what phone line it was connected to and used the wrong one.

I then had a barrage of letters from Sky threatening to charge me the full amount for the second box and they did! I had to swop the phone lines to the correct one and they still had problems which turned out was all to do with the box anyway! Eventually got it sorted and refunded.

We just take Eleanor's one out to the RV when we go away and it is no problem. I do however have a problem with getting the twin lnb/skew Oyster system to find a satellite unless it is connected to the Oyster box. So I have to connect that first with one aerial then move it to the Sky plus box. Must get my head around why that happens.

Regards

Chris

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

As Suzy (my better 'arf) suggested, I'm here to throw in my monies worth.

We have a standard single lnb oyster setup on our motorhome and we happily run our sky+ system on it.

We can record on it but cannot watch another channel 'live' whilst doing so - but we can watch something that has already been recorded whilst it is recording something else.

Here's what I did.

In the house we had a standard sky digibox. I upgraded to sky+ and added sky multiroom and that gave me both a sky+ box with card and a normal sky digibox with card at home

I bought another sky+ box from ebay and put this in the motorhome. As the oyster only has one lnb I connected it to the lnb 1 input on the sky+ box.

When we go away I take the sky card from the sky+ box at home and put it in the sky+ box in the motorhome.

Now the 'hard' bit :winky:

If you set sky+ in the motorhome to record one show it will record from the lnb 2 input (which has nothing connected) and you won't get your recording.

BUT...

If you set the sky+ to record two shows the second will be recorded as it uses the lnb 1 input for this show.

SO...

To get around this I set two recordings that clash and by way of example here is what I have found to be the best way to do it.

Let's say I want to record Emmerdale and Coronation street on ITV and then a film at 9pm on BBC1.

Because this lot spans from 7pm till 11pm I need to 'trick' the sky box for this time period.

So I set the sky+ box to record the above shows and then tell it to record Radio 1 from 7:25pm until 11:59pm (When you ask sky+ to record a radio show it asks you for the start and end times etc. just like video recorders used to.)

Because the radio show starts before the tv shows it records the radio show from the disconnected lnb 2 input and records the tv shows from the lnb 1 input which is connected.

Of course the radio show recording will fail and I just delete it to give me back the disk space.

Like I said, not perfect as it can't record two things at once but it works for us as we either watch something already recorded or watch the tv show instead of recording it.

One last thing, as we don't have sports or movies from sky, swapping the sky card works fine, but if you have sports or movies then swapping the card between boxes means that you won't get movies and sports on both - only your main one. If you MUST have sports/movies on both then the easiest way is to take the sky+ box between house and motorhome.

Hope that helps :Smile:

Bryan

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Why do you need a two LNBs for the signal ?

I would have thought that using one LND and splitting the signal would have worked ?

There must be an amplified splitter (correct term ??) for sale some where that would do the same job.

Rgds

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Why do you need a two LNBs for the signal ?

I would have thought that using one LND and splitting the signal would have worked ?

There must be an amplified splitter (correct term ??) for sale some where that would do the same job.

Rgds

This may work if you want to watch and record channels on the same / similar frequencies.
But will not if you want want to do two channel on different frequencies.
(like BBC1 and Five - two completely different frequencies!)
And its not just vertical and horizontal, but vertial High, vertical low, horizontal high and horizontal low. So with one cable you can be asking the LNB to look at 2 of the 4 types of frequencies at the same time - which it does not like.

You can get a "stacker" system which does the job of combining the signals from a twin LNB into one cable, and back out again, but ideally for the watch one and receord another two cables from the twin LNB to the sky box.

Generally a Sky+ bopx uses input 1 for channels you are watching and for recording channels you are watching, and input 2 for preplanned recordings..if not already in use).

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Hi nannas-boy,

What Sue states is perfectly correct, you can have a multi room package and use the second box in your motorhome. However, Sue must be one of the lucky ones who has managed to sort out a second box without a telephone line.

Sky rules state that it must be connected to the same phone line as the original box which stops you paying £10 a month and letting your neighbour/friend/relative use it thereby evading the £50 plus for a single subscription.

I can confirm this is the case because when we had our multi room box installed in Eleanor's bedroom the fitter said it did not matter what phone line it was connected to and used the wrong one.

I then had a barrage of letters from Sky threatening to charge me the full amount for the second box and they did! I had to swop the phone lines to the correct one and they still had problems which turned out was all to do with the box anyway! Eventually got it sorted and refunded.

We just take Eleanor's one out to the RV when we go away and it is no problem. I do however have a problem with getting the twin lnb/skew Oyster system to find a satellite unless it is connected to the Oyster box. So I have to connect that first with one aerial then move it to the Sky plus box. Must get my head around why that happens.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

We were told you had to be connected to a phone line for the first 12 months but after that, it wasn't necessary! I know we kept it connected for a while and then when we took it away with us it was disconnected but eventually, we decided to leave it in the MH not connected to a phone line and see what happened and we heard nothing from Sky! We did upgrade to Sky Plus HD a couple of years ago and whether that has changed things I don't honestly know but we just leave our box permanently in the MH now along with the viewing card and bob's your uncle!

I know they used to say they sent a signal down the line every so often and if it wasn't connected to a phone line your box wouldn't receive the signal and then sky would send out a letter like you describe - but we used to run a telephone extension cable from the house phone to the motorhome when we first had Sky plus in the MH but now we don't bother any more and haven't done for the last 2 years!

Perhaps we are just lucky but I'm not complaining! ::bigsmile:

Sue

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Hi Chris,

We were told you had to be connected to a phone line for the first 12 months but after that, it wasn't necessary! I know we kept it connected for a while and then when we took it away with us it was disconnected but eventually, we decided to leave it in the MH not connected to a phone line and see what happened and we heard nothing from Sky! We did upgrade to Sky Plus HD a couple of years ago and whether that has changed things I don't honestly know but we just leave our box permanently in the MH now along with the viewing card and bob's your uncle!

I know they used to say they sent a signal down the line every so often and if it wasn't connected to a phone line your box wouldn't receive the signal and then sky would send out a letter like you describe - but we used to run a telephone extension cable from the house phone to the motorhome when we first had Sky plus in the MH but now we don't bother any more and haven't done for the last 2 years!

Sue

Normally you need the boxes connected to a UK phone line for Sky UK multiroom contracts (for the duration of the multiroom contract) and for new installations in the UK where the installation has been discounted by sky (for the 1st 12 months of the contract)

In some cases it hsa been possible to not have these - sometimes by paying an extra £25.

If a multiroom box is not connected then all that happens is that the second £10 card will be charges the correct full subscription rates.

The modems in the boxes call out every few weeks, and it after a few missed calls that then generates the letters and calls from sky. In most cases the modem is only sending information - most of the data the sky box receives is from the satellites.

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Normally you need the boxes connected to a UK phone line for Sky UK multiroom contracts (for the duration of the multiroom contract) and for new installations in the UK where the installation has been discounted by sky (for the 1st 12 months of the contract)

In some cases it hsa been possible to not have these - sometimes by paying an extra £25.

If a multiroom box is not connected then all that happens is that the second £10 card will be charges the correct full subscription rates.

The modems in the boxes call out every few weeks, and it after a few missed calls that then generates the letters and calls from sky. In most cases the modem is only sending information - most of the data the sky box receives is from the satellites.

Mmm ..... seems odd that I neither pay extra nor receive calls or letters from Sky and this has been the case for the past 2 years! Maybe I am just very lucky or someone at Sky is not doing their job properly? Whatever the reason I am not complaining and will happily accept my good luck!

Sue

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Mmm ..... seems odd that I neither pay extra nor receive calls or letters from Sky and this has been the case for the past 2 years! Maybe I am just very lucky or someone at Sky is not doing their job properly? Whatever the reason I am not complaining and will happily accept my good luck!

Sue
You should complain that your box isnt talking to sky and there not charging you enough
It would blow the system up:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
You should complain that your box isnt talking to sky and there not charging you enough
It would blow the system up:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ha ha - I think I'll keep stum Geo, cos I aint paying them a penny more that's for sure! I've been with Sky for the best part of 20 years and have always subscribed to their full package and I feel it's the least they can give to such a long standing and loyal customer! Do I feel guilty . . . . . ABSOLUTELY NOT! :ROFLMAO:

Sue

chriscoate

Free Member
Jul 13, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
We have a dual LNB system in our MH and was not prepared to pay Sky £120 a yr to use our 2nd Sky+ box in the MH - a £10 per mth sub is reqd to use a mirror sub (multiroom). Our son no longer resides 'chez nous' so i thought we could just swap the card from our HD box into the Sky+ box and get '+' features if not HD.
NO - Sky now pairs the card with the box so we either needed to upgrade to multiroom or use the HD box.
We decided on the latter, de-install/re-install isn't too painfull and we get HD programs in the MH -superb for the Open, Wimbledon and World Cup.
However, I feel Sky are doing a bit of milking (dont they always) as we cant be at home using our sub at the same time as being in the MH so why should we pay twice?
Rgds,
Chris.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back