Insurance companies are not fair. (1 Viewer)

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi All

I’ve just had someone attempt to steal my Suzuki 2015 Inazuma 250 motorcycle on Friday into Saturday about 2am in the morning, this is the motorcycle I take away with me to meets etc.

It was securely chained to the rear of my Motorhome sturdy rear bumper with an Oxford chain and Oxford lock, on the front wheel had a disc alarm lock on it and my front break leaver had a break lever lock on it and also the steering lock was on with a cover strapped over it.

The perpetrators broke the steering lock and broke the front brake lever to remove the lock on it.

Somehow they dented the tank in the process and there was wires hanging down where they had tried to hot wire it. They did not get away with it.

Now my insurance company has written it off and is going to pay me minus my excess.

What I can’t understand is why is this going to affect all my insurances, Motorhome, Triumph motorcycle, Ford Focus.

I’ve been told that it will by the company who is paying out for the Suzuki Inazuma 250.

I just don’t understand, after all your no claims cannot be transferred to another vehicle, so why should it affect my three another vehicles if there is a claim?

This does not seem fair to me the insurance companies seem to have you both ways.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Sorry to hear about your bike. As for insurance company’s. I don’t get why it should effect your insurance after all that’s why you have it, so if any thing like this happens. They just rip peaple off all the time.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
It also effects if your a named driver on someone else's insurance as you have had a claim .

I find it annoying if your car is parked and someone hits it and you make a claim against the other person your still classed as you had an accident and made a claim .

There is only one winner with insurance and it is not us !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
I can understand it affecting your other Motorcycle insurance but I have never heard of it affecting Motorhome or Car Insurance.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
It also effects if your a named driver on someone else's insurance as you have had a claim .

I find it annoying if your car is parked and someone hits it and you make a claim against the other person your still classed as you had an accident and made a claim .

There is only one winner with insurance and it is not us !!

It does not have to be. Insureds can be the winner.

Follow this procedure-

Write to the other driver claiming against him/her. They will have to notify their insurance company if they want to be covered.

You must notify your insurance company that there was an accident. Write very clearly 'This is not a claim' - for information only. Enclose a copy of the letter to the other driver.

Your insurers will probably send you a 'Claim Form', because it is the only form they have to obtain information (and it traps people into having made a claim) Provide the information they request but cross through the words 'Claim Form' and notate beside the crossing out that this is for information only/not a claim. Send a covering letter stating the same, copy that to your Broker, if any.

You have not made a claim. The consequence is they cannot try to do knock-for-knock and later claim they settled. If they did you would have recourse to the Insurance Ombudsman.

Geoff (ex Insurance Lawyer)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
When I was rear ended last November ,
I thought the same as you that it might count against me ,but when I insured my next moho on the beginning of this month , I stated it was a no fault accident , & it made no difference to the amount due , there was a small increase against last year due inflation.
My moho went up by £44 & car policy £40 .

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
I had the same problem last year when my car was written off. My Motorhome, my multi bike cover and my other car cover all went up. I was told that I am now classed as a higher risk across all other vehicles as statistically I am more likely to be a claim once I have had a claim.

I also remembered my Motorhome cover had to start from a nil no claims bonus 3 years ago when I bought my Motorhome. I asked as I had not had any accident in 30 years then do you class me are less likely to have an accident in my Motorhome. That does not count was their reply.

When you take into account all my covers across all my vehicles and I will be effected for the next 5 years, I guesstimate that the car that was written off will cost me over £3000 in extra insurance over the next 5 years.

BTW it was not my fault. I was parked at the side of the road when somebody ran into me head on while on there phone. But now I am classed as a higher risk of having an accident.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry to hear this @Brakers

It seems to be the case these days that ANY claim affects not only future premiums, but also other vehicles. A few years ago, I got hit up the arse by a French driver at the Pont du Normandie tolls. Even though there was an admission of guilt on the accident form that both me and the other driver completed at the time, the insurance company called in a ‘No fault claim’. Not only did they load my MH Policy by £50 but the put up the premiums on my car AND my wife’s car by fifty quid too!!! It took me ages to sort out.

During enquiries or requests for quotes these days, some insurance companies ask, “Have you had any claims within the last 5 years, whether at fault or no fault?”

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
There is an upside to this if they write it off .after claim agreed, offer them £50 for it ,if its worth doing up.You may be surprised .lol

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You just became a higher risk to any insurer for any vehicle.
Unfortunately that's the way it is and there's not anyone can do about it.

Exactly that...... RIP off ?? No not really. We get insurance very cheaply these days all things considered. So once we have a claim we become a greater risk and up go the premiums but not usually by very much.

It’s just life Mr Brakers....

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I expect the money they pay me out for my Suzuki will go to pay the up rated premiums on my other vehicles :(

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Nothing fair about the insurance industry - barely honest would be a better description.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It does not have to be. Insureds can be the winner.

Follow this procedure-

Write to the other driver claiming against him/her. They will have to notify their insurance company if they want to be covered.

You must notify your insurance company that there was an accident. Write very clearly 'This is not a claim' - for information only. Enclose a copy of the letter to the other driver.

Your insurers will probably send you a 'Claim Form', because it is the only form they have to obtain information (and it traps people into having made a claim) Provide the information they request but cross through the words 'Claim Form' and notate beside the crossing out that this is for information only/not a claim. Send a covering letter stating the same, copy that to your Broker, if any.

You have not made a claim. The consequence is they cannot try to do knock-for-knock and later claim they settled. If they did you would have recourse to the Insurance Ombudsman.

Geoff (ex Insurance Lawyer)
Very informative, thanks (y)

One thing I would ask though, is that some insurers ask if there have been any claims or incidents in the last 3,4,5 years or whatever. No claim but you have to declare it to them and then I suppose that affects the premium. I would be very interested to see where we stand on that. Thanks in advance

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
but buy the written off bike back from the insurance company for next to nothing and repair it and you will be better off than before the attempted theft

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I cannot understand why you even claimed for that damage, if the value of the bike is low then they will take it away offer you a figure which they do not pay because the excess is higher so you lose the bike get no money and they sell the bike on at a profit make money and give you nothing. Comprehensive cover is not worth the bother but actually have a lower premium than TPFT, Silly but it gives them the leverage against you to just take it away .

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
cannot understand why you even claimed for that damage
I claimed because that was the best way for me to go, It might not of been the best for most people, we each have to decide what we want to do in each circumstances. The bike was worth aprox £2,500 most of which they are paying less the excess. To me this was a reasonable outcome except the future loss of NCB which I will have to handle.
If they are prepared to write off the motorcycle with such damage then they must have a reasonable idea of what it costs to repair said vehicle.
I personally could not repair the motorcycle myself as I have not got the tools or the place to do it, so I would of have to get a garage to repair it for me.
So I had to make a reasonable quick decision weather to go through the insurance or not.
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Tony it’s a shame you don’t live near me. I could sort that out in a few hours...
What a nice gesture thanks for that, yes It would be a bit of a trek.
Best Wishes Tony

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
its on the back of a motorhome, how easy can it be

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Well, it'll be interesting when I renew my MH insurance in April :

Question from insurance people. "Have you had any incidents in last 12 months?"

Answer, "A car which was leased to me, but not insured by me, nor did I make any payments for having that car, was written off outside our house while I was in bed". "I did not make any claim against the other driver, not even providing a written statement. People unknown to me made a claim against the other driver". "The lease hire company absolved me of all blame".

Basically my company car was hit by another driver and written off. Wonder how they will react to that ?

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
After owning motorbikes for past 20 odd years, you get used to insurance companies wanting it their way all the time.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
After owning motorbikes for past 20 odd years, you get used to insurance companies wanting it their way all the time.
Your right there, but it's so annoying having no accidents for years then someone who wanted to try streal my bike messes things up for me, not my fault he touched my bike but I have to pay in the long run.
Best Wishes Tony

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Lorry broke my mirror last year.
On a fulltiming policy they have loaded me over £400 on my premium for a eur1300 claim.
If I had known I wouldn't have bothered.

Flooky

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
New
They are all crooks, I had a policy for my motorcycle with Carole nash , I rang to ask if stolen keys were covered , they said sorry no.
I still got loaded cos I had a theft ! they said it was because I had a theft..I said but you don't cover it..they said yeah but it still happened. I couldn't get them to take it off my records no matter what I tried. So don't even ring em for advice or a query.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Same can be said if you have a windscreen replaced and it is a claim .

Sometimes I think it is not worth having windscreen cover as they get their money back over the next few years .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Same can be said if you have a windscreen replaced and it is a claim .

Sometimes I think it is not worth having windscreen cover as they get their money back over the next few years .
sorry, but have you seen the cost of an a class windscreen? £3000 to £6000

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back