Comfort Insurance breakdown cover (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Everybody probably knows this but Comfort have changed to the AA for breakdown cover.
I phoned the RAC yesterday only to be told "your cover ran out in December" panic!! Lady says shes needs to talk to her supervisor, comes back "we can only rescue if you pay" then she says "hang on a minute I think the Comfort have changed to the AA, let me ring Comforts breakdown number" sure enough it sends her to the AA, "Would you like their number?" yes please I say.
So a very helpful service from the RAC and after contacting the AA, an equally good service from them.

Last edited:

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Test driving tomorrow !!!
Exp
....and yet if you are already with the AA they won't extend your cover to cover motorhome - I asked them today!

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Strange isn't it, no weight or size limit same as RAC.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Exp
AA told me they wouldn't recover me if I broke down as over 3.5 tonnes

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I am 9.25 ton 30' long, no problem, 18 ton tongue lift wrecker from Newmarket rolled up, motorway bods closed one lane of the A14 dual carriageway so he could recover me.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Covered by Das provided by AA see below for limitations no mention oF weight. Also note 6 breakdown claims in a year

Vehicle
The vehicle declared to us. Cover extends to include any caravan or trailer
attached to the vehicle at the time of the breakdown.
The vehicle, means the UK registered vehicle as shown on your schedule and that complies with the following speci cations: 1. a vehicle that is registered with the DVLA* (or equivalent) as either a motorhome, motor caravan, a campervan or van with side windows

*DVLA size limits are 12 metres long and 2.55 metres wide

Cover

You are covered for the assistance services in this policy for a maximum of six breakdowns in the 12-month period following the start date of this policy and in any 12-month period following renewal of the policy, if you have paid your premium.

If the service you require is not provided for under the terms of this policy, or if you have reached the maximum number of breakdowns covered in the period, we will try if you wish to arrange assistance at your expense. The terms of any such assistance are a matter for you and your supplier.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks for that, I wondered how many times you could call them out. 6 times in 12 months seems fairly generous. 2.55 wide? Oops.:whistle:

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Exp
You can only get this cover as part of an insurance policy apparently - not as 'stand alone' breakdown cover - but as a £60 add on it seems pretty good value.

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
I've just taken out insurance with Comfort today. I didn't need breakdown cover as already with the RAC. The motorhome was already covered on the standard policy due to size, but by getting the code from the CCC I extended the RAC cover to have more options, with no length/weight restriction, at no charge.

I can look into this when the RAC ends next year. Does anyone know what is covered on the Comfort/AA breakdown. We currently have everything, so home start, breakdown, recovery, onward travel, 2 people, in any car.

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
I renewed with them yesterday and was told that you can only take out the breakdown cover at the time you take out the insurance cover . You can't ask for breakdown cover at a later date unless you cancel then restart your policy. I was quoted £62 on top of the policy for full UK and EU breakdown cover. Interestingly there is an increase on last year of £40 due to fitting a satellite system. That said the increase without the satellite system was only £10 more than last year.

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
I renewed with them yesterday and was told that you can only take out the breakdown cover at the time you take out the insurance cover . You can't ask for breakdown cover at a later date unless you cancel then restart your policy. I was quoted £62 on top of the policy for full UK and EU breakdown cover. Interestingly there is an increase on last year of £40 due to fitting a satellite system. That said the increase without the satellite system was only £10 more than last year.
Sorry to ask a stupid question, but does the 'full' cover, cover everything. Like so many things in life, it's not always what it appears to be. So does the Comfort AA cover home start, breakdown, recovery, onward travel for car and passengers, for 2 drivers, in any vehicle?

I appreciate that everyone's circumstances will be different, but it's always interesting to see what is covered. It's certainly not always what you think it is. I remember taking out one breakdown package with an insurer. I was sold on the idea of onward travel. But on the day it happened, they explained that what it meant was that the driver and passenger could travel home and then recover the bus fare later, but the car had to stay where it was, over 100 miles away, and we had to pay our return travel ourselves.

So I'm always a bit suspicious of insurance breakdown, whereas I'm confident I know what Im getting with the RAC, for not much more money.

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Sorry I don’t know for sure as I didn’t take it out. I’m sure the details will be available on the website.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've U.K. and European breakdown cover (max 90 days per trip) as part of my Nationwide FlexPlus current a/c for my less that 3.5tonne m/h, two motorbikes and two cars.
Covers any vehicle in which I'm present; phone, laptop and more for (I think) £10 a month. No requirement to advise details of vehicles.
Worth a look.

19 kenny 42

Free Member
Aug 2, 2017
ackworth yorks
Funster No
MH
hobby 700
Exp
i found out 2years ago when my van decided on a longer stop..can i saY I WAS WITH FACTS ,you are not covered to get your van home .i do believe rac do this on a separate policy can you tell me if fun do a insurance with any one

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I've U.K. and European breakdown cover (max 90 days per trip) as part of my Nationwide FlexPlus current a/c for my less that 3.5tonne m/h, two motorbikes and two cars.
Covers any vehicle in which I'm present; phone, laptop and more for (I think) £10 a month. No requirement to advise details of vehicles.
Worth a look.

Think you'll find it's only 31 days max not 90. Cost is now £13 per month.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Think you'll find it's only 31 days max not 90. Cost is now £13 per month.

I seem to recall a letter last year advising a change in the cost but didn't take much notice of it. Even £13 a month for 5 vehicles suits me apart from the other elements of the cover. Must check - I'm a bit lax at details :rolleyes:

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Sorry to ask a stupid question, but does the 'full' cover, cover everything. Like so many things in life, it's not always what it appears to be. So does the Comfort AA cover home start, breakdown, recovery, onward travel for car and passengers, for 2 drivers, in any vehicle?

I appreciate that everyone's circumstances will be different, but it's always interesting to see what is covered. It's certainly not always what you think it is. /QUOTE]

I have just been looking at what's covered, it seems pretty comprehensive. One thing I noticed though was if you damage your engine due to misfueling that's down to you. They will drain the fuel and you would also pay for replacement fuel which I imagine is the same with all companies.
I'm pleased to hear that they appear to be ok though as I was just considering adding their breakdown to my policy when I renew.

19 kenny 42

Free Member
Aug 2, 2017
ackworth yorks
Funster No
MH
hobby 700
Exp
further to my early tab about comfort,they sent me a email saying the had made a miss stake with my renewal price,and it would be £320 including 90 days breakdown cover,have cancelled ccc,has it takes about 20 min to get through and gone with comfort,

Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
Am about to go with comfort again, just quoted me £302.90 - breakdown and legal UK and Europe.
any recs re travel insurance....?

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Am about to go with comfort again, just quoted me £302.90 - breakdown and legal UK and Europe.
any recs re travel insurance....?
For those of us with health problems I have found Caravan and Motorhome Club Red Pennant cover to be easy to arrange and for me the best price I could get. Still pricey though.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Renewed my mh insurance with Comfort today. Premium was £10 less than last year even though insurance tax has gone up. European breakdown is now with AA. I checked if there was any limit on size and was told 12m and 20tons so that will do me.
I was asked about full timing as their insurance only covers 9 months a year abroad. I should be so lucky.

I have been a member of the AA for years anyway which sorts out UK breakdown but dont do much mh mileage in the UK. The tunnel is only 60miles away.

fursty ferret

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Funster No
We found for the UK Brittania Rescue to be very good -they will take you & motorhome all the way home wherever you are-not just to the closest garage like some breakdown providers. Very reasonable price we
have all vehicles covered on one policy & been low loaded home from 2 holidays -one way of saving on diesel lol

Rescueue to be very good

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i found out 2years ago when my van decided on a longer stop..can i saY I WAS WITH FACTS ,you are not covered to get your van home .i do believe rac do this on a separate policy can you tell me if fun do a insurance with any one
No in a word :rofl:

Jul 22, 2017
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Starting to understand
Trying to mine sorted today to cover europe & i cant get cheaper than than £480!!!! oh dear keep trying Ken!!(n)

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Exp
AA told me they wouldn't recover me if I broke down as over 3.5 tonnes

Comfort use the AA but have a commercial policy which covers larger vehicles so although I have been with AA for years I couldn't extend it to cover MH. Very good quote from Comfort tho' although may be calling them to extend my mileage:whistle:

Allansheila

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2007
I have free cover with the RAC as am a retired staff member they only cover vehicles up to 3.5 gross or 18ft in length so when driving my MH I am not covered the same applies to the AA but if you use the C&MH Club for cover you would be covered by green flag this is what I have done it also covers me in any car I am driving or a passenger in If you take out cover through the CCC you would be covered by the RAC Arrival scheme

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Strange, we were recovered by the RAC in France 2 weeks ago when the water pump pulley sheared off. We are insured with Comfort. The service from Aviva was first class. They even towed the trailer as they couldn’t get the whole lot on the flatbed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back