Failed leisure battery ! (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I’m no expert,but I think they should last a bit longer than that. Some vans have an inbuilt system so that if you leave them on hook up,they dont “cook”.
Now your thread is back in view,you might get a response from someone who knows more than I do.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
depends on how it has been treated.. used or abused.

i.e. how often it has been cycled down to 50% , and has it ever been taken below 50% or lower ?

what make of charger unit is fitted ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
batteries have only a limited number of charge/discharge cycles 3 or 4 years is about average for a usable life span if you fit and forget. a quality charger with desulphation mode will extend the useful life if used occasionally

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
should also have asked what type and make of battery.. I'm assuming a bog standard flooded lead acid

An Exide GEL battery while costing perhaps double or more will last many years and take more abuse than an FLA ..

When I bought my van it had the original Hymer fitted gel batteries , still working.. but as they were 14 years old I didn't want them failing while away, so replaced them with OEM Exide Gels ..

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If flooded LA they could have dried out.

Martin

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
99FF639B-879E-4F85-AD69-677C5695B857.jpeg
depends on how it has been treated.. used or abused.

i.e. how often it has been cycled down to 50% , and has it ever been taken below 50% or lower ?

what make of charger unit is fitted ?
I don’t think it’s ever been cycled down at all Jim never mind less than 50 % . We are always on hook up even at home I have posted a picture of the charger . The battery is only 2 years old not 3 as I said I hope batteries are included in the warranty but probably not

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
should also have asked what type and make of battery.. I'm assuming a bog standard flooded lead acid

An Exide GEL battery while costing perhaps double or more will last many years and take more abuse than an FLA ..

When I bought my van it had the original Hymer fitted gel batteries , still working.. but as they were 14 years old I didn't want them failing while away, so replaced them for new Exide Gels ..
I think it will only be a lead acid battery Jim

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
looks a decent charger, so should be ok left on charge.. in saying that, advice I was given by Schaudt was to charge up twice a month for 48hrs then switch off. but no hard and fast rules.. during this really cold spell I have left mine on EHU on charge.. the rest of the year the solar panels keep it fully charged..

Batteries are generally not under warranty.. and even when they are you rarely get them replaced without an argument, or if you do it's on a pro-rata price based on age, you don't get the 100% replacement cost. They may replace as a good will gesture.. worth asking

regarding GEL or FLA.. if you decide on GEL ensure the charger is suitable.. check the owners manual.. it may have a selector switch for either type of battery . If you decide on FLA I suggest you consider. Varta LFD90 or Bosch L5.. same battery .. some information here about them..

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-technology.php

you can buy from either Tanya or Alpha batteries

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
regarding GEL or FLA.. if you decide on GEL ensure the charger is suitable.. check the owners manual.. it may have a selector switch for either type of battery
It's is a two mode charger....GEL & LEAD.

Just a thought though.
If your battery is a GEL is the charger also set to GEL ?
Set to lead and the charge voltage won't be high enough.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Now this gets even more interesting well to me anyway I have just read the habitation report they (marquis Preston) gave me before we came away straight from their workshops on Friday upto Keswick , it states that I have several blown led in the shower room a loose tap in the kitchen and fridge in a inaccessible position to do a co test on and a leisure battery that failed a drop test. Now I have no blown leds no loose taps a fridge that has not moved since they did the same test last year, makes think the battery may be ok and they given me a report of someone else van . I think I will be ring them tomorrow for an chat. Thanks every one for their help .

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Now this gets even more interesting well to me anyway I have just read the habitation report they (marquis Preston) gave me before we came away straight from their workshops on Friday upto Keswick , it states that I have several blown led in the shower room a loose tap in the kitchen and fridge in a inaccessible position to do a co test on and a leisure battery that failed a drop test. Now I have no blown leds no loose taps a fridge that has not moved since they did the same test last year, makes think the battery may be ok and they given me a report of someone else van . I think I will be ring them tomorrow for an chat. Thanks every one for their help .
Appalling!
I like the idea of a “chat”,followed up,no doubt, with a right good rollicking if they don’t offer to start all over again and do it properly.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Appalling!
I like the idea of a “chat”,followed up,no doubt, with a right good rollicking if they don’t offer to start all over again and do it properly.
I have no doubt I will end telling them what I think but it is a real hassle trying to get time off to take the van into them again ,part of me thinks sod the habitation check with them just to keep the warranty £240 every year for 10 years would go a long way to repair any potential damp problems . I think I can get it done locally for half the price.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back