Couldn't get gears after not using for while (1 Viewer)

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Am sure I read something similar a while ago but I have done my best to search and just can't find it, so sorry, but have had to post again!

Went to get my motorhome out of storage today and could not get any gears at all. Tried several times with the engine running but could not get any gears. After leaving it for a while I went back with my son who tried the gears whilst the engine was off and found that after a while he could get the van into gear. We tried again with the engine on, at first we still couldn't get any gears but after a few attempts we managed to get the gears to work.

I am going back tomorrow to take it for a run but am worried that this problem will occur again. I am not sure what caused this problem, do you think that it was just a one off, or is there a undiagnosed problem which I need to have checked out at a garage? Hope someone may be able to help. Thanks.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Sounds to me like as a result of being laid up the clutch was frozen and not clearing the flywheel when depressing the pedal. Now its free should not be a problem.

Madmike

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
Pickering
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 yrs
Am sure I read something similar a while ago but I have done my best to search and just can't find it, so sorry, but have had to post again!

Went to get my motorhome out of storage today and could not get any gears at all. Tried several times with the engine running but could not get any gears. After leaving it for a while I went back with my son who tried the gears whilst the engine was off and found that after a while he could get the van into gear. We tried again with the engine on, at first we still couldn't get any gears but after a few attempts we managed to get the gears to work.

I am going back tomorrow to take it for a run but am worried that this problem will occur again. I am not sure what caused this problem, do you think that it was just a one off, or is there a undiagnosed problem which I need to have checked out at a garage? Hope someone may be able to help. Thanks.

Hi Solitaire,
Sometimes when a vehicle has been standing for a long time the clutch plate sticks to the flywheel thus making it impossible to engage a gear even when the clutch pedal is depressed. The fact that you warmed up the engine and eventually after depressing the clutch pedal a few times the plate came free and you are able to engage a gear now proves that the clutch plate is now acting as it should be. I would expect that you will have no further trouble as the flywheel will clean itself up with the normal use of the clutch. Should you have the same trouble again next year put it in gear depress the clutch pedal and then engage the starter motor having first made sure that the hand brake is firmly engaged.
Hope this helps.
The Mad One

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi solitaire woman

Agree with the above post, it is sometimes called sleepy van syndrome can happen to quite a few parts brakes, clutch etc, best way to avoid is to take for a brief run at least once a month possibly less while laid up.

Hope this helps.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
sounds like clutch plate stuck to flywheel with standing,will be ok now its freed off,best to start engine every month or so and drive vehicle back wards and farwards a few times.
dont leave standing on damp area ie grass or badly drained ground for long periods of time if it does stick again aply hand brake ,put in gear ,depress clutch and start engine should free it.

OP
OP
S

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Thanks for answering so quickly. I feel much better now that it seems it will have sorted itself out! Thanks again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back