What about LEZ London? (1 Viewer)

lavieyuca

Free Member
Jul 22, 2009
North of Spain
Funster No
Exp
I'm going to London next summer, we're going to stay at Abbey Wood campsite, that's into LEZ so I've send them all the documentation they ask for to register my motorhome a month ago, but they haven't answer me yet. Is it usual? What do you think?
Thank you very much from North of Spain. Yoli

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
how is lez enforced, how do they know if your fumes exceed the limit?

your vehicle registration is photographed as you enter the LEZ, they have a data base of all vehicles, foreign registered vehicles must register before entering or face a fine..

you can check compliance of your vehicle on the LEZ site

To answer the OP question, I would contact them at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/2544.aspx

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
thought this had been postponed until 2012 for the van weight of vehicle

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
incidentally , that means you are ok up to 3,500Kg gross
3,501 Kg you are out of luck
good old boris ??? he should have cancelled it .....why should you be able to drive a 3 litre diesel car for nothing , and our motorhomes have to pay ?

I was always in favour of the heavier vehicles being discouraged , but under 3.5 tonnes ...no way

OP
OP
L

lavieyuca

Free Member
Jul 22, 2009
North of Spain
Funster No
Exp
incidentally , that means you are ok up to 3,500Kg gross
3,501 Kg you are out of luck
good old boris ??? he should have cancelled it .....why should you be able to drive a 3 litre diesel car for nothing , and our motorhomes have to pay ?

I was always in favour of the heavier vehicles being discouraged , but under 3.5 tonnes ...no way

My motorhome is up to 3500 Kg gross, does it mean it is OK and we don't have to do anything else? When we send the documentation it looked like they answer us by post or e-mail.
Thank you very much to all of you.
Yoli

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And just to add insult to injury my 7.5 ton 6.8 Ltr RV can run around the lez all day Free:Doh:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
how so geo , when I went to school 7.5 was more than 3.5
so what's the regulation that allows that ...registered as a recovery vehicle or something ?
foreign registered vehicles must pay or be fined

let us in on your nasty little secret :RollEyes:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hmmm, so a commercial van based MH up to 3.5tonnes is okay by you, but the same engined base vehicle over 3.5 tonnes isn't!!! :Eeek:

I could understand your favour, if we were talking about weight limits, but not emissions.

On the same subject, your compliant 3.0 ltr, 3.5 tonner could be a high miler, whereas, the heavier non compliant 3.0ltr could be a very low miler. Where's the justice for exclusion there?

My haulage gaffer's X reg Volvo FH 6x2 (high mileage), tractor unit, which spews out plumes of black particulate smoke, is still compliant, and yet our low miler, 4.5 tonne, 2.8Tdi MH (with a new engine), isn't compliant. :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Ah'm fair dumbfoonered noo. :winky:

Regards,

Jock.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Its petrol and possibly LPG

how so geo , when I went to school 7.5 was more than 3.5
so what's the regulation that allows that ...registered as a recovery vehicle or something ?
foreign registered vehicles must pay or be fined

let us in on your nasty little secret :RollEyes:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its petrol and possibly LPG
Petrol:thumb:
I'm afraid your going to have to except it has absolutely nothing to do with emissions, size or weights
They charge you because they can
Simples
But fret not the system will expand in all counties and then the noose will tighten to rope in all those vehicles that are exempt, but not until every one is driving except vehicles the they will change the rules, but this will only be a temporary measure until all the city business and shops have closed and moved away then they will scrap it all together and use all the money collected so far to re vitalise the Baron city's:RollEyes:
Remember this is the UK Britain at its best:thumb:
What you loose on the roundabout also Gets stolen off you on the swings:Doh:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
doubt that , to be exempt it has to be on a special list of lpg vehicles , and 99% of lpg vehicles aren't on that list and are not exempt!

and jock ... where did I say I was in favour of 4.5 tonne vehicles having to pay ?
I specifically said HEAVIER vehicles , not quoting a weight

as a matter of fact , I think the 3,500Kg limit , whether it is for driving licence , weight limit or speed is an antedelluvian concept ; when this was introduced a 3.5 tonner would have non power drum brakes , no power steering etc ... a little different now !
already there is agitation elsewhere [ primarily in germany and france ] to get this altered
won't happen in my time though

H

Hovis

Deleted User
I'm going to London next summer, we're going to stay at Abbey Wood campsite, that's into LEZ so I've send them all the documentation they ask for to register my motorhome a month ago, but they haven't answer me yet. Is it usual? What do you think?
Thank you very much from North of Spain. Yoli
----------
I discovered this the other day - worth noting!!
Hovis:Doh:

Any individual or institution in the European Union that holds a valid Blue Badge is eligible for a 100% discount on the London congestion charge, even if the badge holder does not own a vehicle or drive.

You can register up to two vehicles that you would normally use to travel in to central London. This could be your own vehicle, or a vehicle that you often travel in.

See http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/congestioncharging/6736.aspx

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
----------
I discovered this the other day - worth noting!!
Hovis:Doh:

Any individual or institution in the European Union that holds a valid Blue Badge is eligible for a 100% discount on the London congestion charge, even if the badge holder does not own a vehicle or drive.

You can register up to two vehicles that you would normally use to travel in to central London. This could be your own vehicle, or a vehicle that you often travel in.

See http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/congestioncharging/6736.aspx

Definitely worth noting as you say - but it is just for the Congestion Charge Zone not for the (larger) Low Emissions Zone. Some people still confuse the two so thought it worth pointing out :Smile:

Graham

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
so I can drive into london in my motorhome and blue badge , not pay for the central zone , but pay £100 day to get there because I am over 3,500 kg

am I missing something here ?

also if my vehicle is parked in the lez , but I don't drive , do I have to pay because it is over the 3,500 Kg

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
so I can drive into london in my motorhome and blue badge , not pay for the central zone , but pay £100 day to get there because I am over 3,500 kg

am I missing something here ?

also if my vehicle is parked in the lez , but I don't drive , do I have to pay because it is over the 3,500 Kg

The Congestion Zone is designed to reduce the total amount of traffic within central London. It predates the LEZ and is totally separate from the LEZ. Anyone who wishes to drive any vehicle within the zone has to pay the daily charge unless exempted (e.g. because of the blue badge).

Any vehicle which is to be driven within the LEZ has to be compliant with the low emission standards for particulate matter - see Here - or pay the daily charge detailed Here. The daily charge (if applicable) is only payable for days on which the vehicle is driven in the LEZ. So, if a non-compliant motorhome is used for a 7 day stay at Abbey Wood (for example) and is only driven to the site at the start of the visit and from the site at the end of the visit then only two daily charges will have to be paid.

The scheme is well documented in full on the web pages starting Here.

Graham

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
and jock ... where did I say I was in favour of 4.5 tonne vehicles having to pay ?
Hi there, I do believe it was in the quote below, although not in so many words, and not weight specific over 3.5 tonnes.

lebesset said:

My understanding, of your use of the word "discouraged", was to mean "penalised or fined". No other form of discouragement other than confiscation, would have the desired effect, for money grabbing authorities.

My point is, that commercially based MHs of varying weights, but using the same engines, are varyingly penalised, instead of being equal, regardless of type of usage, mileage, number of days, or distance travelled within the LEZ even.
They could easily apply a maximum mileage for visitors purely to gain access to and from registered Caravan sites, and monitor any misuse of that privilege, by means of the existing cameras and DVLA database.
lebesset said:
Unfortunately, £100 a day if non compliant and 3.5 tonnes or under , and £200 if over 3.5 tonnes.
lebesset said:
To park inside the LEZ, you ( or A N Other), would have had to have driven in. If it's your first entry, they will send you a letter, telling you that you have a 28 day period of grace, whereupon after that, if your vehicle is detected within the LEZ, you will be fined.
The problem is if you are on an extended holiday, and unless you return home within that period to open mail, you could unwittingly get stung on a daily basis, if moving about inside the LEZ. If parked for an unspecified period, you may get away with it, un til the day you move off. :whatthe: I would imagine that the parking fees would be prohibitive anyway.

I feel sorry for those individuals, who live within the LEZ, and have a non compliant MH. :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

Best regards Lebesset,

Jock. :Smile:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
according to the OED jock , discouraged means neither penalised nor fined
and , providing you pay the requisite amount there is no offence so no one can either penalise or fine you anyway ; there is not and will not be any offence committed

anyway , no answer to my question about whether or not I can have but not use my vehicle in the lez ; this is supposed to be about pollution ....how can there be a charge for non-use , vehicle detected or not

suppose I have my vehicle in a camp site in the area , private property [ the original question ] do I have to pay the daily fee , I would suggest not

the irony of this is that you rarely see a motorhome in the lez anyway ; I spent 2 weeks there in mine last year and saw 2 in that period , one italian , one dutch

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)anyway , no answer to my question about whether or not I can have but not use my vehicle in the lez ; this is supposed to be about pollution ....how can there be a charge for non-use , vehicle detected or not

suppose I have my vehicle in a camp site in the area , private property [ the original question ] do I have to pay the daily fee , I would suggest not
May I refer you to my post above Lebesset. I think I answered the question there :Smile:
The daily charge (if applicable) is only payable for days on which the vehicle is driven in the LEZ. So, if a non-compliant motorhome is used for a 7 day stay at Abbey Wood (for example) and is only driven to the site at the start of the visit and from the site at the end of the visit then only two daily charges will have to be paid.

the irony of this is that you rarely see a motorhome in the lez anyway ; I spent 2 weeks there in mine last year and saw 2 in that period , one italian , one dutch

We've stayed at Abbey Wood during each of the last three Januaries and there have been quite a few MHs each time :Smile:

Graham

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
according to the OED jock , discouraged means neither penalised nor fined
and , providing you pay the requisite amount there is no offence so no one can either penalise or fine you anyway ; there is not and will not be any offence committed
Where the LEZ is concerned, I doubt very much if the Oxford English Dictionary was even referenced. It's all about another form of taxation by money grabbing authorities, in other words a form of penalty, as far as I am concerned.

lebsset said:
the irony of this is that you rarely see a motorhome in the lez anyway ;
No? You certainly won't have seen ours either, after July 7th 2009. :winky: However, as Graham quite rightly points out, there are many compliant MHs that can be seen inside the LEZ.........mostly at camp sites. :Smile:

BTW, the German authorities have issued us with a very nice Green (4) Umwelt Zone plakette, (the highest category available), which lasts for the life of the vehicle, and it permits us to travel through "ANY" city in Germany, and all for a measly €6.00. That'll do nicely thank you. I have to say, that apparently, the German motoring public aren't too happy about it though. :ROFLMAO:

Cheers, :drink:

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back