Connecting FreeSat box to Avtex TV (1 Viewer)

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I am trying to connect an old Bush FreeSat box (BFSAT01SD) to an Avtex L186DR TV. The Sat box has a SCART output and the TV has an HDMI input.

I am trying to connect them using a Composite (Red, White and Yellow) Cable? This is the only common connection that they have. I have set the TV on AV, but cannot get a signal, is the Sat box too old ie needs to be HDMI?

There appears to be a setting in the TV Setup that might allow me to set the signal source, but I only appear to have access to the Picture and Sound settings and the Sat Dish icon is greyed out. Think I need to be into Advanced Settings to change this, but cannot see how

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If someone doesnt help i can only think a call to avtex... always found them extremely helpful..
Andy.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Don’t know if your sat box is to old, but you can get scart to hdmi cables.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Don’t know if your sat box is to old, but you can get scart to hdmi cables.

From what I read it appears that a straight connector of SCART to HDMI does not work, and it need to be a powered converter, probably around £20 - £30

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I assume your Avtex hasn't got a freesat tuner.

No. In the UK it works on Freeview, off the Status aerial. I have used it abroad with a SKY box, normally used in the house, but was trying to use the smaller old Bush Sat box instead

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
The sat box will be pushing a signal out of its Composite connectors. Assuming the cable is good and the TV is set to AV then it should work, unless you have one of those silly TV's that only use their composite as an output, to say a video recorder. Other than that then a Scart to HDMI converter, like this ......................

Be careful you get one working the right way around, i.e. Scart to HDMI and not HDMI to Scart. :)

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
The sat box will be pushing a signal out of its Composite connectors. Assuming the cable is good and the TV is set to AV then it should work, unless you have one of those silly TV's that only use their composite as an output, to say a video recorder. Other than that then a Scart to HDMI converter, like this ......................

Be careful you get one working the right way around, i.e. Scart to HDMI and not HDMI to Scart.

Thanks - I was trying to avoid a solution that required a power supply, TV 13A/240V socket in the van is getting a bit cluttered. The manual for the TV describes the input as HDMI/AV, so composite should work. I think a call to Avtex might be best way forward

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I connect my old SKY Pace 1000 mini box to my Avtex tv with a Scart to AV lead which are widely available for £12.99 from Maplins , works just fine and should be fine with a Freesat box

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I have resolved this using a connector to join the SCART output from the box to a composite lead. Seems the old Sat box was not giving the correct output for the 3 leads - it had red, white and black connectors

Job done for £1.98 - good old FleaBay

Attachments

• IMG_1806.JPG
    IMG_1806.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 18

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I would guess that the SCART plug is an "In" and you will need a Scart "Out"

From memory there are 21 wires in a Scart plug and they will only be connected with another Scart plug or multiple plus

The "Greyed" section is found in the DVD setup menu but you shouldn't need it if you are using the correct Scart

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back