LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Morning, or good afternoon if you are reading this on Catch Up.

So got the inverter bought to charge up our eBike batteries.....I intend changing on the move only. (Engine running mode) to refresh....I have 1 Leisure battery only, no space for another. Bike batteries are 500Wh....inverter 1000w Pure sine wave. When on hook-up will use 220v. Charger is 36v / 2 amp 2

What my question is.....Do I connect the inverter to...

a, The Leisure battery.

b, The Engine battery. its in floor and can be got at.

c, Somewhere else.......like big box of wires under passenger seat.....on Hymer.

Cheers. jumar

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
I would go for leisure battery and as close as possible (short cable run).

Others will be along shortly to confirm all other options are a better idea! :cooler:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Connect to leisure battery only
For more detailed explanation call me in 13 hours - just having romantic dinner

Never risk discharging the engine battery after you’ve stopped driving

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Connect to leisure battery only
For more detailed explanation call me in 13 hours - just having romantic dinner

Never risk discharging the engine battery after you’ve stopped driving

Romantic Dinner and using your phone to answer my question...just how Romantic is that.
Thanks Robert, hope Liz is enjoying the romantic occasion.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Romantic Dinner and using your phone to answer my question...just how Romantic is that.
Thanks Robert, hope Liz is enjoying the romantic occasion.

Romantic dining is one thing

Batteries, solar panels or inverters is another

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
If you do not have a batt to batt charger AND you will only use inverter with engine running I would suggest you connect to engine battery.
As standard the leisure batt will take many hours to fully recharge from engine, adding an inverter to leisure batt will increase that time as the standard wiring will limit the power that the engine can supply to charge the leisure battery.
But if inverter is ever to be used without engine running then it must be connected to leisure batt.
Keep 12 v cables to inverter short and fat.

Anyway, whats a young lad like you doing with an elecric bike???

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Either way you may find you need a pure sine wave inverter, some chargers dont like running on some brands of modified sine wave inverters

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@jumar might be best to tell us what make and model of moho you have got, because you have to think of practical places to fit it in, and others with the same model may be able to give you btter advice on that. Given what you are charging I would put the inverter onto the leisure batteries ad you are more likely to be stationary when charging.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
For a start if you want to charge both your batteries at the same time you need a bigger inverter, a 1000 watt one copes with out 400 Watt batteries and the charger is rated at 1.6amps at 230v. Have to plug one in first and let it settle before plugging in the second or the initial surge trips out the inverter.

I would connect to the leisure battery not worth the risk on the engine battery.
Has you have a Hymer they have decent wiring and the standard setup will charge at 20-22amps but you will be using about 70-90amps:eek:
So the only way if would work is if you only charge one battery at a time and only recharge from a partly discharged state.

According to your profile you have a Tramp so I don't see why you can't fit a second battery, I used to have a Tramp.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if your certain it will only be used when engine is running i would go for the main battery you can fit a relay to cut the invertor of when not running avoiding any problems with not starting

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Either way you may find you need a pure sine wave inverter, some chargers dont like running on some brands of modified sine wave inverters
They have already got 1000watt pure sine, according to the post anyway.

Martin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Does it really matter if occasionally you accidently flatten the starter battery.
Just call your breakdown service, that's what you pay for.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If you do not have a batt to batt charger AND you will only use inverter with engine running I would suggest you connect to engine battery.
As standard the leisure batt will take many hours to fully recharge from engine, adding an inverter to leisure batt will increase that time as the standard wiring will limit the power that the engine can supply to charge the leisure battery.
But if inverter is ever to be used without engine running then it must be connected to leisure batt.
Keep 12 v cables to inverter short and fat.

Anyway, whats a young lad like you doing with an elecric bike???

Young 66 year old, it depends on how you ride, where you ride and how much physical effort the rider applies....I go longer distances in shorter times, but come back totally spent and with a smile on my face....

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Just having a quick look at your thread...
Like some i wondered what you were thinking getting an electric bike :LOL:
Youve just answered that in your last post(y)
On the charging issue the thing that crossed my mind is will you be able to fully charge your batteries while driving... ie are you on the road long enough... they appear to be fairly substancial batteries and will take a while to fully charge...
You might need something like a battery to battery set up to get the best available charge to the leisure battery with the engine running..
Just thoughts...
Enjoy your peddling
Andy..

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
For a start if you want to charge both your batteries at the same time you need a bigger inverter, a 1000 watt one copes with out 400 Watt batteries and the charger is rated at 1.6amps at 230v. Have to plug one in first and let it settle before plugging in the second or the initial surge trips out the inverter.

I would connect to the leisure battery not worth the risk on the engine battery.
Has you have a Hymer they have decent wiring and the standard setup will charge at 20-22amps but you will be using about 70-90amps:eek:
So the only way if would work is if you only charge one battery at a time and only recharge from a partly discharged state.

According to your profile you have a Tramp so I don't see why you can't fit a second battery, I used to have a Tramp.

A Hymer Tramp 514 GT 2006 model, I have...a 115 ah battery is all the space available, my Hymer is a special edition on a Renault 3l engine.....would just love to fit more batteries, but what I need to know which battery to wire my new inverter into. Could you please advise on your experience in fitting extra battery to my Hymer..

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Given what you say, jumar, I’d attach the inverter to the engine/starter battery.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
A Hymer Tramp 514 GT 2006 model, I have...a 115 ah battery is all the space available, my Hymer is a special edition on a Renault 3l engine.....would just love to fit more batteries, but what I need to know which battery to wire my new inverter into. Could you please advise on your experience in fitting extra battery to my Hymer..
Mine was on a Fiat X250 main battery under the seat behind the Elektroblock 2nd battery under the other seat both 80a/h Gels. I think they did it the same way on the Renault based Tramps. Needs to be a low profile battery like the Exide G80 or for a flooded cell battery like the Varta LDF90

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Young 66 year old, it depends on how you ride, where you ride and how much physical effort the rider applies....I go longer distances in shorter times, but come back totally spent and with a smile on my face....
We changed to e- bikes nearly 3 years ago at the tender age of 65, come back after a ride just as knackered, go furter, faster and up hills we would have given a miss before.:D

Had 2 x 80 a/h Gels in the last van & 200 watts of solar found that charging both batteries from flat relying on solar took the batteries several days to recover even in June. Current van has 3 x 80a/h Gels, 200 watts of solar with another 100 w panel waiting for some warmer weather to fit & I've just fitted a 60 amp B2B (not used in anger yet). So hopefully I have more charging capability than the energy I will use.
Now I try to charge the bike batteries when they are only 50% discharged so I don't cane my leisure batteries too much.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Have you fuses /fuse holders/spade connectors ,etc? If you haven't anywhere to get them up your way the Bosch;Magnetti-Marelli, Lucas dealer here in Lorca carries most otc.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...418ffead62fb4b9!8m2!3d37.6514298!4d-1.7127924

Calle Abogado Agustin Aragon, 2, 30800 Lorca, Murcia
recambiosjesus.com
968 46 33 12
& if he hasn't got it in stock next door but one is another Bosch stockist

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Just having a quick look at your thread...
Like some i wondered what you were thinking getting an electric bike :LOL:
Youve just answered that in your last post(y)
On the charging issue the thing that crossed my mind is will you be able to fully charge your batteries while driving... ie are you on the road long enough... they appear to be fairly substancial batteries and will take a while to fully charge...
You might need something like a battery to battery set up to get the best available charge to the leisure battery with the engine running..
Just thoughts...
Enjoy your peddling
Andy..
a battery to battery will not improve on direct from alternator charging of the van battery

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
a battery to battery will not improve on direct from alternator charging of the van battery
It will improve on the alternators capability to recharge the leisure battery... i thought that was clear from my last bit of my post.
Andy

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
If its a Bosch 36v battery?Bosch make a 12v travel charger,just plug in and drive saves messing with inverters.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back