Hypothetical (or perhaps not!) Question (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Just wondering what people do when parked up at a site or aire, etc., when there is no EHU and it is snowing & settling on your solar panel. Unless you happen to have a ladder & a long brush on board & can clear it, what do you do for battery charging? I know not much charging will happen at this time of year anyway, even without the snow, but intrigued as to how people cope. :unsure: Can you tell I'm stuck indoors with not much else to do? :D:D:D

Edit. Ooops! A list has just arrived courtesy of SWMBO :D2:D2

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I can reach through the roof light.

Not that I'd be daft enough to be in it in this weather.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I have absolutely no knowledge of it but, I have been told that Romance is a good way to spend the day when "Locked up".

(y):LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I bought one of those extending handle squeegee things in a French supermarket so I can clean the skylight from ground level if I want. Handy for clearing the solar panel from the skylight too, although the panel will probably ice up as well. There are ways and means.

Our batteries haven't been doing too badly with a 100W panel in the last few weeks despite the weather - it was Dec and Jan when they were struggling.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Errr Switch the engine on

To be honest IF the roof light opened the other way would be able to sweep the panel with the 3m long wash brush we carry around to keep Maxine clean although if I was mad enough I could send Steph up the ladder at the back to do it

Nov 9, 2017
Funster No
I'm with hilldweller on this one, through the rooflight,but then being ex airborne,I have no fear of hights!

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Gee all those with comfort...........Hymer 1996 been on several ski trips with just 100ah leisure battery,lasted a week no probs
start engine after 2-3 days. But helps to park in sunny spot.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Just wait for the sun to come out and melt it. When not enough to melt it, there's probably not enough to charge a battery either.
Or take a drive and let the wind blow it off.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I can reach to clear 3 of the 4 solar panels through the rooflight standing on a seat. Not only snow but fallen leaves at other times, even partial shading of a panel can make a big difference to the output.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I can reach to clear 3 of the 4 solar panels through the rooflight standing on a seat. Not only snow but fallen leaves at other times, even partial shading of a panel can make a big difference to the output.
I'm puzzled.
If shading makes a "big difference", why bother only clearing 3 out of 4 panels?

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I'm puzzled.
If shading makes a "big difference", why bother only clearing 3 out of 4 panels?
Because when wired in parallel (as most panels on motorhomes are), each panel is 'standalone' as far as shading goes. So the three that are cleared all act as normal & only the output from one is still affected by shading.

Even if wired in series, they would almost certainly be wired in two sets of two, with each series connected pair connected to the other pair in parallel, so one pair would still work ok.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you have to put some charge into the batteries then just run the engine for an hour or so. Worth doing this at some point regardless so that you have an idea of how much charge your alternator can put in to the batteries just in case.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
You could of course use (borrow) a Honda Generator for these extremely rare conditions :LOL::imoutahere:
Les

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just wondering what people do when parked up at a site or aire, etc., when there is no EHU and it is snowing & settling on your solar panel. Unless you happen to have a ladder & a long brush on board & can clear it, what do you do for battery charging? I know not much charging will happen at this time of year anyway, even without the snow, but intrigued as to how people cope. :unsure: Can you tell I'm stuck indoors with not much else to do? :D:D:D

Edit. Ooops! A list has just arrived courtesy of SWMBO :D2:D2

Mistake 1 - no ladder and brush

Mistake 2 - no battery-to-battery charger to arrive on site with them full, or to recharge with quick engine run

Mistake 3 - parking in snow with solar.

Mistake 4 - Letting SWMBO see you typing 'not much else to do' :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back