Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Dublin
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8 years
Just returned from easter in France - had intended to stay in above but a look at weather before we left quickly decided for us to travel a bit south. Seems we were lucky - met a couple who spent 9 days there over Easter. While the weather is out of our hands (apparantely it was cold, wet, sleet etc.) the aire has also been reduced to approx. half its size - the other half being a builders yard. They described the aire as 'absolute chaos' - campers everywhere trying to park, getting tickets on street, prices in shops/bars increased and general mayhem.

A pity as we always enjoyed this stop. On a good note we stopped at a municipal site in Argenton which we could not recommend highly enough and at an extremely reasonable price. Definitely a labour of love for the warden who keeps this site like a 'new pin' - a definite for any list.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Oh dear! Pity about the building site :cry: but the rest of the report sounds very much like normal for a holiday weekend in Honfleur!:roflmto:

We were there over Easter last year and there must have been 450 vans crammed in - we were on the car park!

We're planning on staying there on our way back to UK - should be about 12th / 13th May - so we'll see what it's like then and report back!

Guess we'd better have a Plan B in case we can't get on it!:Eeek:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Marymo

Is that the Camping Municipal Chambons at Argenton Sur Creus, as I can't find any mention of another Municipal,

Thanks
Braunston

A pity as we always enjoyed this stop. On a good note we stopped at a municipal site in Argenton which we could not recommend highly enough and at an extremely reasonable price. Definitely a labour of love for the warden who keeps this site like a 'new pin' - a definite for any list.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We're planning on staying there on our way back to UK - should be about 12th / 13th May - so we'll see what it's like then and report back!

Be a devil - come the long way back via Garda !

We'll even dig a sand pit for you if you want to feel at home.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well, that is a shame, it's a great stop over aire .. but being a prime location I'm not surprised it's being put to a more lucrative use.. no doubt someone is lining their pockets.

As a backup you could use the aire at La Maileraye-sur-Seine, just up the river with free parking, pay at bourne for water using a Jeton (available from local shops).

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
[
As a backup you could use the aire at La Maileraye-sur-Seine, just up the river with free parking, pay at bourne with Jeton (available from local shops) for water.[/QUOTE]

This aire is brill, but they started charging last year. 6 euros/night, plus a charge for water. But, maybe it's still out of season & possibly free.

Allen

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No chance!! Someone's got to go to Stratford!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nice place, we enjoyed it last year. I admire your decision. I'd probably change my mind but for the support to others. Duty calls.

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 35
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 29

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This aire is brill, but they started charging last year. 6 euros/night, plus a charge for water. But, maybe it's still out of season & possibly free.

Allen

Thanks for the up-date Allen, will amend my map entry ..

How is the charge collected , machine or an attendant ?

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
Thanks for the up-date Allen, will amend my map entry ..

How is the charge collected , machine or an attendant ?

My journal entry says 'man comes 7 to 8 pm', hot & sunny ! It was sept 1st, 2009.

Allen

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
honflour

there is a very nice camp site just over the swing bridge, next to the old lighthouse, all pitches have a hedge round them, clean toilets and very quiet, we used it just before easter and was 9 euro per night, no hook up,, think thats an extra 3,, not bad for this town, and its actualy closer to harbour than aire,,:thumb::thumb:

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
me and mine stopped at the overcrowded honfleur this easter. haveing seen good reports. but did not stop overnight. felt very hostile mainly french plated homes with hookups linked everywhere.i thought maybe an organised meeting. but maybe as said befor just normal for holiday weekend .we had good ,bad and lovely weather.first trip over water cruised down as far as st malo. took a look in on Le mans and Paris.cant wait untill next time.:thumb:

OP
OP
M

marymo

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Dublin
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8 years
Hi, Marymo

Is that the Camping Municipal Chambons at Argenton Sur Creus, as I can't find any mention of another Municipal,

Thanks
Braunston

Name of Campsite is ; Camping Municipal de la Noé and full details can be found on www.argentan.fr - sorry think I got my spelling wrong on town name which probably confused. Definitely worth a visit.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
there is a very nice camp site just over the swing bridge, next to the old lighthouse, all pitches have a hedge round them, clean toilets and very quiet, we used it just before easter and was 9 euro per night, no hook up,, think thats an extra 3,, not bad for this town, and its actualy closer to harbour than aire,,:thumb::thumb:

That would be

Camping Le Phare
Boulevard Charles V, 14600 Honfleur
Tél : 02 31 89 10 26
Fax : 02 31 93 06 05
Emplacements : 110

Open 1.4 / 30.9

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Well we stayed at the aire in Honfleur a couple of weeks ago - reports of it being half its size are somewhat exaggerated I feel.:Smile:

There is an area fenced off due to building work but only about 10% lost.

There were over 100 vans on and still plenty of space.

We didn't manage to get hook-up but then we didn't try very hard - I'm sure we could have done if we'd really wanted it.

It was mostly French vans on the aire only about half a dozen Brit vans but then we'd found exactly the same all the way from Seville northwards!

Attachments

• cshDSCF8557.jpg
    cshDSCF8557.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 22
  • cshDSCF8558.jpg
    cshDSCF8558.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 21
  • cshDSCF8559.jpg
    cshDSCF8559.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 23
  • cshDSCF8560.jpg
    cshDSCF8560.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
M

marymo

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Dublin
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8 years
Well we stayed at the aire in Honfleur a couple of weeks ago - reports of it being half its size are somewhat exaggerated I feel.:Smile:

We didn't manage to get hook-up but then we didn't try very hard - I'm sure we could have done if we'd really wanted it.

It was mostly French vans on the aire only about half a dozen Brit vans but then we'd found exactly the same all the way from Seville northwards!

Good to hear that what we were told is a bit over the top....we are heading over again end of June so hopefully things will be the same....having said that we have also learned names of a few more 'pitstops' thanks to post .

Have a good summer all....

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year

Glad to hear that its service as normal then :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back