There’s something about old books....... (2 Viewers)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
that makes it hard for me to throw them away.
Maybe it’s the fact they were handed down from parents,maybe because of who wrote them,maybe because it just seems”wrong”.

Been clearing out a couple of bookshelves today and decided to keep:

A Short History of the World. by H G Wells. Printed in 1930’s
AA Roadmap of England and Wales (Fourth Impression). Hardback. 1953.
Manual of Seamanship. Admiralty. 1957.

Plus a few others which I read as a child. Wind in the Willows, Tarka the Otter, Black Beauty. Maybe keep those for the grandchildren.

It’s only taken me about ten years to get round to the job,so not rushing it!

Do you have the same problem,or is it just me?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I just got rid of a load of hardback books. It was hard, I do like them but just had too many.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Can't do it!

Stacks of books around the house, many are still in boxes in the loft from previous house moves! Same with records, 45's, EPs, LPs, Cds of course but also many cassette tapes and even a few old 8 tracks - remember them?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Maybe it’s the fact they were handed down from parents,maybe because of who wrote them,maybe because it just seems”wrong”.

Plus a few others which I read as a child. Wind in the Willows, Tarka the Otter, Black Beauty. Maybe keep those for the grandchildren.

Just got rid of about 400 books ... some from many, many years ago .. I need to get rid of everything in case I have to live in van for a while ... I should feel enlightened apparently ... but I don't I feel sad. :( I miss my Shadow the Sheepdog.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I love my books.
Also 'passed on' about 4 or 5 hundred when moving recently but still got hundreds that 'need' to go.....
Some are still here because they're old and hold respect, history, memory...
Some because I read them over and over

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I have never really been a collector of books!

But when I was young, my mates dad had a small library in his house,, he used to take us into it, and I remember the colours of the spines, the gold lettering on some, and the smell,,, the smell was lovely ! Lol. What a memory that bought back! I wonder what he’s doing now? Lol

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001

Manual of Seamanship. Admiralty. 1957. VoL 1 and VoL 2 ?

OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Manual of Seamanship. Admiralty. 1957. VoL 1 and VoL 2 ?
Just vol 1.
Our eldest son was joining the Navy,and my brother gave it to him.
Sadly,he didn’t join,but returned to marry his,now,wife,and lived happily ever after.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
A couple of months ago I bought "Walking In The Welsh Borders" by Norman G. Brett-James in Hay-on-Wye. Published in 1942....only £3. He travels from Chepstow to Chester and I thought it would be good to try and follow in his footsteps, chapter-by-chapter, whenever I get the chance. Particularly as I know some of the areas quite well and enjoy visiting castles.

Not a great start mind you...it's going to be difficult catching the ferry from Aust to Chepstow!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
It amazes me, maybe even brasses me off , that the younger generation in this country have no thought at all about their families past.

Grandma, Granddad, Great Aunt/Uncle turns up their toes, and a Skip is in the drive tout suis!
All the family history is consigned to the tip, Photo's, Albums , letters, Granddads Medals up on Ebay, house sold and off on a world cruise. Let's crack another bottle of bubbles on great Aunt Cath! har har har har!
Yes I realise that they are your books, and being so, yours to dispose of, and I admire you for doing so,
BUT! Yes! there is always a BUT!
The residue? Precious to you? Of course! but when you have "passed over" will they be precious to those who inherit?
Hey! anything worthy a bob or two, flog it now, enjoy the dosh while you are still able too!

OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
It amazes me, maybe even brasses me off , that the younger generation in this country have no thought at all about their families past.

Grandma, Granddad, Great Aunt/Uncle turns up their toes, and a Skip is in the drive tout suis!
All the family history is consigned to the tip, Photo's, Albums , letters, Granddads Medals up on Ebay, house sold and off on a world cruise. Let's crack another bottle of bubbles on great Aunt Cath! har har har har!
Yes I realise that they are your books, and being so, yours to dispose of, and I admire you for doing so,
BUT! Yes! there is always a BUT!
The residue? Precious to you? Of course! but when you have "passed over" will they be precious to those who inherit?
Hey! anything worthy a bob or two, flog it now, enjoy the dosh while you are still able too!
@rangitira. Just checking......when you say “your books” are you referring to me specifically,or the world in general? I see from another thread that I do qualify as younger generation,hahahaha,as Im not 65 until May! lol
I’m keeping many books,some to pass on,others to read,others that simply have good memories.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I don’t mind passing books on - never been sentimental about hanging on to them .... apart from the first one I picked up when we moved to Liberia - Belles On Their Toes by Ernestine and Frank Gilbreth - very ‘American’ true story written by the son and daughter of the Lilian Gilbreth, the widow of the Time and Motion pioneer Frank Gilbreth. Far superior book to Cheaper By The Dozen. Tells the story of how she brought her family up after his premature death. VERY Easy read!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we had some major building work done 10 years ago and my study/office was converted back to a bedroom. To enable this I got rid of hundreds of books that I had kept mostly from my university days. A friend of mine helped and was quite visibly upset that most of the books ended up going for recycling. He argued that although out of date would be of use to somebody. charity shops just didnt want to know

i miss having them on the shelves but all the data is now online,the paperback fiction i dont miss at all. still got about a hundred books, mostly on dogs and nature

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
There is a hierarchy of printed material in my mind
1 newspapers
2 magazines
3 paper back books
4 hard back books

1-3 throw away after reading
4 move on once read to charity shops or similar.

Mind you I now read Kindle to prevent the book build up problem.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I use my local libraries ebooks, dont have to go there and dont have physical books with other peoples germs all over them!

Read them at leisure on my laptop

Peter

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My other half is the hoarder so we're awash with her books. I'm more selective, but will build up sets and keep books I've particularly enjoyed reading. I've got virtually everything Alan Moore's ever written, and have a lot of Biggles books still waiting to be read. I won't touch e-books or Kindles - I just can't be doing with small screens.

I've also got a growing pile of paper ephemera and magazines waiting for resale, but I don't get sentimental about that.

I'm trying to collect the first ever appearance in print of popular boy's literature heroes, but most of the time that's in magazines. I've got Biggles, Bunter, Sherlock Holmes, and Nigel Molesworth. Still on the lookout for Jennings and Just William.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I forgot Kindle - I have quite a few books on that too! Not as good as a real book but certainly useful in the van from a space and weight point of view. I generally load up a few books before going on a trip.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Just got rid of about 400 books ... some from many, many years ago .. I need to get rid of everything in case I have to live in van for a while ... I should feel enlightened apparently ... but I don't I feel sad. :( I miss my Shadow the Sheepdog.

Kept all my Enid Blytons and W E Johns and have hundreds of others around the house including many in pristine condition from my mother (May the Lord Bless Her Soul). She was an avid collector almost to the point of obsession and I tried to sell many classics on ebay to no avail. I've offered my Famous Fives to my youngest grandkids as they do read but they get them all from the school library as they want them. I wonder if they're the sanitised version with PC corrections?

The Kindle is gathering dust in a drawer and I haven't bought anything for more than three years in that format, just not the same as a book.

You can borrow my Shadow The Sheepdog if it fills a need Joy. :)

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
My other half is the hoarder so we're awash with her books. I'm more selective, but will build up sets and keep books I've particularly enjoyed reading. I've got virtually everything Alan Moore's ever written, and have a lot of Biggles books still waiting to be read. I won't touch e-books or Kindles - I just can't be doing with small screens.

I've also got a growing pile of paper ephemera and magazines waiting for resale, but I don't get sentimental about that.

I'm trying to collect the first ever appearance in print of popular boy's literature heroes, but most of the time that's in magazines. I've got Biggles, Bunter, Sherlock Holmes, and Nigel Molesworth. Still on the lookout for Jennings and Just William.
Used to love the Jennings books as a child, don't know why as they were so far removed from my own childhood. Unfortunately all of my childhood books, school and Sunday school prizes etc were stored at my parents house and succumbed to the attention of mice.:(

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
@rangitira. Just checking......when you say “your books” are you referring to me specifically,or the world in general? I see from another thread that I do qualify as younger generation,hahahaha,as Im not 65 until May! lol
I’m keeping many books,some to pass on,others to read,others that simply have good memories.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back