Crit Air (1 Viewer)

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
Off to France soon in 4.5 ton MoHo do I need a Crit Air and how do I apply. Can only find one for less than 3.5 ton??
Thanks

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
They are getting more required some of the new zones are NOT cities

go to https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/

fill it in you need a scan of your V5 reduced right down to under 400kb just fill the form in MY 07 3L Ducato based motorhome came back as a class 4 whereas Stephs little 1.5L Diesel car is a Class 3

IF you do not have an emissions for your vehicle do not worry leave it blank the V5 will give them what they need

Best thing is once you have it stick it to the bottom of the window in front of the driver (RHD) and leave it it is for the life of the vehicle (or windscreen ) quite cheap for it's use

THen download the Green Zones EU APP which tells you what classes of vehicle are allowed into what city on a regular basis (sometimes twice a day)

May 28, 2016
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
since 2000
dead easy as stated just clip on to their web site only need to copy your v5 inner page and clip we got ours returned in a week including sending it on a saturday

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Off to France soon in 4.5 ton MoHo do I need a Crit Air and how do I apply. Can only find one for less than 3.5 ton??
Thanks
Log onto

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/demande-ext/cgu

The Crit Air Certificate covers all vehicles as you will see. Fill in the form, copy your V5 Certificate, include the fee and that’s it.

The only problem is that the above site is down for maintenance until 1st March. Still, that’s not long to wait.

Good luck.(y)

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
Does anyone else think like me that you are giving the French government your home address for speeding and other traffic fines? Also, you are giving your vehicle weight on the V5, there are many of us who are using their motorway toll tags to get class 2 tolls on the motorways when you are over 3.5T!!!

OP
OP
The Flute

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
Does anyone else think like me that you are giving the French government your home address for speeding and other traffic fines? Also, you are giving your vehicle weight on the V5, there are many of us who are using their motorway toll tags to get class 2 tolls on the motorways when you are over 3.5T!!!
Good point I've just got a tag. And are over 3.5 ton and tag axle. I think I'll leave it for this trip.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We scanned the inner pages our V5 in colour, which comes out at 687KBs, which is too large to transmit, We are hoping that if we scan it again in Black & White the file size will reduce.???
We are fed up trying to compress the PDF file on Adobe to 400KB as we are getting no where!!
Any advice would be great on how to reduce the file size, or how did you mange etc
Thanks
Les & TinaL

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
Take a photo of the V5 on your phone and upload it, I done that last week and got it in 5 days.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
If I'm reading their website correctly they've only issued 9 million, as 1 million of those are likely to be to nervous brits it leaves an awful lot of french cars without one.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The French authorities can already get your details from the DVLA, so no change there.

If you really should be class three why do you think you should be able to cheat the system? We all complain about foreign drivers “getting away with it” in the U.K.

When compared to the cost of a motorhome the difference between class 2 and class 3 Tolls is minor, and there is always the opportunity to use Routes Nationals as an alternative.

emo

Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Bursner lyseo
Exp
Since2015
We used our phone ,it worked fine.could not do it any other way tried and tried.

OP
OP
The Flute

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
We scanned the inner pages our V5 in colour, which comes out at 687KBs, which is too large to transmit, We are hoping that if we scan it again in Black & White the file size will reduce.???
We are fed up trying to compress the PDF file on Adobe to 400KB as we are getting no where!!
Any advice would be great on how to reduce the file size, or how did you mange etc
Thanks
Les & TinaL
Try this
https://docupub.com/pdfcompress/

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
When compared to the cost of a motorhome the difference between class 2 and class 3 Tolls is minor, and there is always the opportunity to use Routes Nationals as an alternative.

In my experience the difference is quite a lot

For example I've just put in Calais to Abbeville; classe 2 is 12 euros and classe 3 is 18 euros.

I don't go out to break the law but some of these toll setups are not particularly well applied to motorhomes. As an example if you have an 18tonne RV its classe 3 whereas a 4.5 tonne tag is classe 4.
Even our own M6 toll you pay the same as an artic.

I do think its about time they started a Motorhome classe, its on the V5s

Jon

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
In my experience the difference is quite a lot

For example I've just put in Calais to Abbeville; classe 2 is 12 euros and classe 3 is 18 euros.

I don't go out to break the law but some of these toll setups are not particularly well applied to motorhomes. As an example if you have an 18tonne RV its classe 3 whereas a 4.5 tonne tag is classe 4.
Even our own M6 toll you pay the same as an artic.

I do think its about time they started a Motorhome classe, its on the V5s

Jon
My personal crib is why do they charge extra for high vehicles? They don’t take up any more room than lower vehicles. Only airspace.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
My personal crib is why do they charge extra for high vehicles? They don’t take up any more room than lower vehicles. Only airspace.

Its because they are lumping them together with Lorries not treating them as leisure vehicles.
The camping Caristes seem to insist on classe 2 regardless as indeed do I.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
We are 5t+ and a tag but just below 3m high. Last year when in France I made Mrs Cornish Boy hang out the window and pay for the tolls (I did let her back in when we were moving!).

Without fail, we were charged as Class2 on all automatic and manned toll booths without us asking for it.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We are 5t+ and a tag but just below 3m high. Last year when in France I made Mrs Cornish Boy hang out the window and pay for the tolls (I did let her back in when we were moving!).

Without fail, we were charged as Class2 on all automatic and manned toll booths without us asking for it.

LHD is sooooo much easier. Especially when Sue managed to insert the card into a gap in the casing of the machine instead of the card slot a few years ago, Boy did that cause some consternation!!!

Jon

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
LHD is sooooo much easier. Especially when Sue managed to insert the card into a gap in the casing of the machine instead of the card slot a few years ago, Boy did that cause some consternation!!!

Jon

I do the packing, the driving, the setting up, the putting away, the BBQing and the filling up with fuel and gas and now you are suggesting I should buy a LHD so I can pay at the toll booths as well and take away the one tiny role Mrs Cornish Boy plays in the entire motorhoming experience! :)

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Applied yesterday morning, cost now down to €4.21 (about £3.75!), email confirmation of Class 2 status arrived at 3:30 this morning, sticker to follow.
Actually a very simple process. :)

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Had caravans for 27 years. Motorhomers now for 3 years
We are ordering a crit air sticker but where on the windscreen do you place it. We have a right hand drive Motorhome.

Last edited:

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
We are in the process of ordering our crit air sticker. I know people have said not to bother but for the price of a bottle of wine we're not going to risk it. We were driving through Lyon last September and we were surpised how many vehicles had the badges. LOADS.... where on the windscreen on a right hand drive does the sticker go?

Reactions: emo

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We are ordering a crit air sticker but where on the windscreen do you place it. We have a right hand drive Motorhome.

It has to go on the bottom near side of the windscreen on a lhd vehicle, so on the drivers side of a rhd vehicle.
I’m convinced the only people buying these are UK motorhome owners.
We have driven down to the south of France, along the med, around and into Toulouse. Around and into Bordeaux and up the west cost, around 1400 miles so far, and have only seen 2 vehicles with Crit Air stickers on. Not one French German or Belgian motorhome!

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
We saw loads of cars and motorhomes with the badges when we went through Lyon. It's less than 5 euros and lasts for the life of the vehicle. At that it's worth it so as not to keep looking over your shoulder for the traffic cops. Can't be doing with the worry. We go on holiday to relax!! Also we didn't intend to go through Lyon. We took a wrong turning and ended up in the city rush hour.

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Seems a lot of people are having difficulty getting this crit air sticker. It's getting the copy of the v5 attached to the application that's the problem. We took a photo and then edited it down to below 300kb. Have sent forms off and got an email back to say it's being processed.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I'm still having oroblems with attaching the copy of my V5.

Can a sticker be purchased over-the-counter in oerson at some offical place in France?

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
We took a photo on our phone and kept editing it to reduce to well below 400kb. Alter the settings on your photo settings to black and white as well

emo

Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Bursner lyseo
Exp
Since2015
That's exactly what I did

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
It seems getting the photo reduced is the hardest part. Our receipt to say we have been allocated the class 2 came this morning. Awaiting the actual badge.
The photo needs to be in black and white. The photos we attached seemed blurred to us but they've been accepted. I'll help anyone having problems so don't hesitate to contact me.

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Price of the crit air sticker has been reduced from 1st march to €3.11 plus postage. Total cost €4.21. Watch which sites you use as some charge more. We used the CMC site.

Cheap for peace of mind I think. Got ours and ready to rock and roll for 6 weeks end of May. Just need the weather:sun::sun:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back