another fiat recall ggrrrrrrr (2 Viewers)

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
just checked the camper app, another red light!

i assume its for the intercooler clip?, which is mentioned on the chassis section under fiat,
anyone have any more details?

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Just checked a recall site and this is what they have on

Number Date Concern
R/2017/283 2017-11-30 EGR PIPE COULD FRACTURE DUE TO A POTENTIAL NON-CONFORMITY

Number: R/2017/283
Date: 2017-11-30
Concern: EGR PIPE COULD FRACTURE DUE TO A POTENTIAL NON-CONFORMITY
Defect: The EGR pipe could fracture due to a potential non-conformity the fractured pipe may damage the alternator resulting in a loss of battery voltage and potentially a loss of engine power.
Remedy: The pipe must be checked and if incorrect replaced with a new part.
# Vehicles: 1336
Manuf. Ref: 6152
Vehicles Affected
Model VINs Dates
DUCATO 02A59559 to 02F21177 2016-02-17to 2017-09-13

OP
OP
skylinersi

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Just checked a recall site and this is what they have on

Number Date Concern
R/2017/283 2017-11-30 EGR PIPE COULD FRACTURE DUE TO A POTENTIAL NON-CONFORMITY

Number: R/2017/283
Date: 2017-11-30
Concern: EGR PIPE COULD FRACTURE DUE TO A POTENTIAL NON-CONFORMITY
Defect: The EGR pipe could fracture due to a potential non-conformity the fractured pipe may damage the alternator resulting in a loss of battery voltage and potentially a loss of engine power.
Remedy: The pipe must be checked and if incorrect replaced with a new part.
# Vehicles: 1336
Manuf. Ref: 6152
Vehicles Affected
Model VINs Dates
DUCATO 02A59559 to 02F21177 2016-02-17to 2017-09-13

hi

we have had that one sorted so i assume its this later one, i will call fiat tomorrow and check

will post results on here ...........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Had my clip sorted last week. Was in there an hour. I had phoned earlier and as the Moho had been in before, knew which recall it was from the vin number. Mike

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
did they have the parts in stock?
Hi. Don’t really know. They booked me in for a week later and said they would contact me if anything changed, so maybe they didn’t. Find them easy to deal with. Scania Trafford Park, Manchester. Mike

OP
OP
skylinersi

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hi. Don’t really know. They booked me in for a week later and said they would contact me if anything changed, so maybe they didn’t. Find them easy to deal with. Scania Trafford Park, Manchester. Mike

ok, no probs, looks like its an order parts in and go back then

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Took two weeks to get mine booked in for the clip but had to phone round to find a garage that could do it as some quoted May and June . It only takes a few minutes to do it .

OP
OP
skylinersi

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
does anyone have any pics of the affected parts so that we can check?

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Hi Skylinersi, yes it’s an order in job, my Fiat Pro Dealer says it’s two separate clips to support the inter cooler. No problems with continuing to use the van and it’s a 15 min job, our van similar to yours. Going to get ours done at same time as first year low mileage service in April.
Bill

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I thought a red warnings (traffic light) on the recall would indicate the vehicle should not be used and fixed by the garage asap ?

My vehicle now shows a green traffic light after getting the clip done.

OP
OP
skylinersi

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hi Skylinersi, yes it’s an order in job, my Fiat Pro Dealer says it’s two separate clips to support the inter cooler. No problems with continuing to use the van and it’s a 15 min job, our van similar to yours. Going to get ours done at same time as first year low mileage service in April.
Bill

Top man !!
Thank you very much(y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Local Fiat Professional dealership described the latest (clip) recall as the least of my problems compared to the EGR pipe and Heat Exchanger replacement that's needed.

OP
OP
skylinersi

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Local Fiat Professional dealership described the latest (clip) recall as the least of my problems compared to the EGR pipe and Heat Exchanger replacement that's needed.

Please tell me you're joking..... what's this heat exchanger problem??????

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I thought a red warnings (traffic light) on the recall would indicate the vehicle should not be used and fixed by the garage asap ?

My vehicle now shows a green traffic light after getting the clip done.

Red just means contact a service centre.
After having mine checked for the EGR bracket it took about a week to go green.

OP
OP
skylinersi

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Red just means contact a service centre.
After having mine checked for the EGR bracket it took about a week to go green.

Was that after it was fixed???

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Please tell me you're joking..... what's this heat exchanger problem??????

To cut a long story short mine's been in for a second check after the initial EGR pipe check and they've said the heat exchanger needs doing too. The first check was mid-December, and to date nothing's been fixed due to supply chain delays. Their original plan was to check the heat exchanger during the pipe replacement, but that would have dragged it out too long. I think they're trying to speed things up.

I should add that it's not a foregone conclusion that both components will need replacing, but they're checking both at the service centre I'm dealing with.

Last edited:

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Magicsurfbus, I assume these two issues are separate? My understanding from my dealer was that the EGR pipe if “burst” and I continued to drive the van could cause damage to the alternator wiring, possibly resulting in loss of power and severe damage. Clearly we decided not to drive it till all replaced!!
But no mention of heat exchanger?

Thanks
Bill

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
The heat exchanger problem can be caused by the EGR pipe being split. We saw the photos of our 'cracked' heat exchanger that had to be sent to Fiat in Italy before they would authorise replacement. It was more of a hole than a crack . I asked at Trafford Van Centre how many they'd had in where the EGR pipe needed replacing - including ours, 12. How many needed the hear exchanger of these - 8 :eek:.

OP
OP
skylinersi

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
The heat exchanger problem can be caused by the EGR pipe being split. We saw the photos of our 'cracked' heat exchanger that had to be sent to Fiat in Italy before they would authorise replacement. It was more of a hole than a crack . I asked at Trafford Van Centre how many they'd had in where the EGR pipe needed replacing - including ours, 12. How many needed the hear exchanger of these - 8 :eek:.
It just gets better..........Oh Please!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I asked at Trafford Van Centre how many they'd had in where the EGR pipe needed replacing - including ours, 12. How many needed the hear exchanger of these - 8 :eek:.

Like @Diggerdi I'm also dealing with Trafford Van Centre, and so far I've been impressed with their diligence. Maybe now they've done a few they're expecting a 66% failure rate and trying to anticipate things, but they're hamstrung by supply uncertainties. It could impact on our holiday plans but I can't see how getting in a strop about it's going to change anything.

Obviously I still have to drive ours to get it to Trafford. It's also got a service and hab check due soon to stay within warranty. It's done 6000 miles since it was bought, and so far nothing drastic has happened, but if the fix needs doing it needs doing.

OP
OP
skylinersi

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
ok, update......
spoke to fiat customer services via the app, yesterday, and was told there is a recall, bit vague on what it was, so contacted platts in stafford who are now aware? and will order parts, and contact me to get sorted.
i decided i would like to know what the recall / fault(s) is / are, so again contacted fiat customer services.

different person, very different attitude sadly....

i was told not to contact any dealer / workshop regarding this until i get the official letter from fiat. they refused to tell me what it was affected by the recall, and just told to wait. I pointed out that the letter arrived a month after we had the egr fix done!! last time. no response other than wait for letter, so i asked are we ok to use the van, told yes, carry on as normal and if any problems to contact them (customer services / camper assist) again and they would sort it, regardless of country we may be in.

They say the letters are mailed 'strategically' to allow dealers and workshops to get the repairs done without creating a backlog etc, or words to that effect.

So we get a red warning on the app, told to contact them immediately, and then thats the response you get........glad i dont run my business like that...........

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Took mine in for the intercooler pipe clip this morning, a pig to get at on an A Class as it's buried down behind the radiator but only took them 15min.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
In Spain at present, had to call Fiat Assist as we lost power (no warning lights) as luck should have it we stopped outside a Fiat main dealer. Saturday afternoon,so nothing done until Monday. When Fiat put their computer on the van they found “no problems” quite embarrassing!

Off we go, two days later loose power again which is dangerous, quickly switch off/on and ok for a couple of weeks. Again loose power cure was to switch off/on and everything ok and now two weeks later no more problems.

When we had our last MH which was a Ford Transit we had exactly the same problem, Ford could never find the problem. Our cure was to switch on/off and everything was okay.

Just by chance someone suggested “has it been calibrated?”. Took it Ford who calibrated it (don’t know what that is) and never had anymore problems.

When we get back to UK will contact Fiat. I wonder if this may be the answer?

Anybody had this problem?

Colyboy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Took mine in for the intercooler pipe clip this morning, a pig to get at on an A Class as it's buried down behind the radiator but only took them 15min.
Just an update the traffic light on the app has already gone Green.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back