Hello all (1 Viewer)

topaz10

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
N. Wales
Funster No
Exp
3 months
- Well I've finally achieved my dream of owning a motor caravan, I can't believe it's actually happened but yes, there it is parked on the drive and raring to go.
I'm sure there's 101 things I'll need to ask but the first is about the vehicle itself. The van is a VW T5 and has a courtesy light on the step by the sliding door. The light comes on every time the door opens and stays on until the door closes again. This is fine except that I'm a bit concerned that when we're on a site and have the door open for long periods at a time, the light will eventually drain the battery.

Am I worrying unneccessarily ? I know that, when hooked up to the site electric, the leisure battery is charged but does the same apply to the vehicle battery ?
Sorry if this is a dumb question :RollEyes:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Cant help with question Topaz as I am pretty dumb on batteries and engines, but someone will come along pretty soon.

I just wanted to welcome you to motorhoming and say hope you enjoy the wonderful summer we have been promised.:Smile:

Rainbowchaser

Free Member
Feb 27, 2010
Third rock from the sun
Funster No
MH
Err..A blue one
Exp
Hmnn...Quite a long time really...
light

Hi Topaz, and welcome.

No point asking Movan, she's hopeless on things like computers and anything involving things that spark etc:ROFLMAO:

(Well? Deny it Mo !)

Can I suggest you find the feed wire to the light and put a switch inline. Then you can turn it on/off at will.

Have fun.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
topaz10

topaz10

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
N. Wales
Funster No
Exp
3 months
Thanks for the suggestion Rainbowchaser, but I'm afraid I'm a bit like Movan !
Fitting an on/off switch is a great idea but, sadly, well beyond my capabilities :Sad:

Rainbowchaser

Free Member
Feb 27, 2010
Third rock from the sun
Funster No
MH
Err..A blue one
Exp
Hmnn...Quite a long time really...
light

fair enough Topaz.
Pity you're not close , I could sort that for you.
If the light come on when the door is open, there must be a switch near the door, rather like the courtesy light switches in a car door or a fridge...
Is there no way you can arrange to hold the switch closed by using something to hold it closed? Gaffer tape? Chewing gum?
::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Am I worrying unneccessarily ? I know that, when hooked up to the site electric, the leisure battery is charged but does the same apply to the vehicle battery ?
Sorry if this is a dumb question :RollEyes:

I would remove the bulb and if the on board electronics don't moan about a faulty bulb replace the bulb with an LED one and this cuts the current by about 90% so end of problem.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi topaz10

Welcome to MH Fun:welcomefunster:

Dave :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
topaz10

topaz10

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
N. Wales
Funster No
Exp
3 months
Thanks to you all for your warm welcome and thanks again, Rainbowchaser, for the advice. I've checked to see if there's a switch inside the sliding door that makes the light come on but can't see anything obvious. The plastic cover over the light does come off so I could probably take the bulb out - maybe I should just do that ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back