GPS for walking (1 Viewer)

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Decided to purchase a dedicated walking GPS.
Got a fair idea what I'm after but thought I would ask if anyone use them has recomdations.
Don't want to use a phone app
Battery life and reading outdoors are issues with using phone
1:50000 maps and preferably 1:25000

PEM

Jun 5, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Garmin Oregon 600 not got lost yet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Garfields
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Use Maps.me on tablet but not really suitable for out in the hills.
Needs to be durable and waterproof.
Probably going to go with one of the Garmin models

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've got a SatMap, not the latest version but I bought it because it had the biggest screen at the time. If you only intend to use it in the UK this is a good choice but their maps for Europe are expensive. As is the device itself. :(

If I was starting again I would look very hard at a Garmin eTrex. I'm out of date on the models now but get one with a barometer if you can. These calculate your daily ascent much more accurately than gps does alone. They are also not too expensive. :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
When do you plan to use it? If in cold weather, when you may be wearing gloves, get one with buttons rather than a touch screen. I've had several and consider the Garmin one of the best (GPSmap64). They are not cheap but the batteries last all day long and the screen is readable under most conditions. They are not cheap, but are rugged and work. If you cannot afford OS maps, you could use OSM mapping (free). You don't really need the map on the GPS. You should have a paper one, anyway. What you will need is software with maps to plan your rote on (Garmin BaseCamp) and then transfer the waypoints to your GPS. Use the GPS to give you the bearing/direction to the next waypoint and record your track. The track is useful to see where you actually went later (on the mapping software). I use mine to give me a summary of each journey I've made. It will tell me how far I've been, max speed, average speed, and more.

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
I have used the Garmin CSx60 for many years, great bit of kit. Used it mainly for walking in the mountains in all weathers, also used it on the motorbike for off-road trail riding.
Its discontinued now, but would recommend the Garmin replacement GPSMAP64S. Interfaces with Garmin BaseCamp for creating routes and trails etc.
With the Garmin you can download the free maps from OSM, record your trails and upload trails to follow, mark waypoints etc.
Good battery life, normally 1-2 days walking, before recharging.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I’ve just remembered that there’s a new set of satellites available now (Galilleo). Get one that uses that, too, if possible. You will get a speedier and more accurate fix.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I’ve just remembered that there’s a new set of satellites available now (Galilleo). Get one that uses that, too, if possible. You will get a speedier and more accurate fix.
I'd forgotten about Galileo. This new SatMap model uses it. The review claims up to 2m accuracy. I've seen 3m occasionally on my Active 10 but it's usually 5m.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
If I was starting again I would look very hard at a Garmin eTrex. I'm out of date on the models now but get one with a barometer if you can. These calculate your daily ascent much more accurately than gps does alone. They are also not too expensive. :)

I have an unused Garmin 20x available if anyone is interested in that model. Two were bought for a trip that was planned but only one was ever used, the other is still in the packaging that Amazon delivered it in. The one in use sees a lot of action as I walk 2 or 3 times a week with the Ramblers and it works well.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've been using a Satmap Active 10 for 7 years now. Over the last few years licence costs on maps has come down so the price of maps has fallen I paid £220 for the UK @ 1:25000 previously would have been over 1k, also got all of France @ 1:50000 for £220 and Mainland Greece was only £40.
Hopefully wife & kids will add to my collection at Christmas.

With the Active 12 all of the UK @1:5000 maps are bundled with it for £400.

OP
OP
Garfields
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Spoke with GPS Training
Going with one of their packages for Garmin 700 with some shareware maps of parts of europe added

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think they will allow you to go and try several models for yourself, before committing. Their all-inclusive training packages look good. Bust of luck (don't get lost!).

OP
OP
Garfields
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Went with the Garman 700 from GPS Training.
Came all set up and with lots of their own instruction sheets and access to their online training.
Had a tramp around Coldstream today to give it a try.
about 12 miles
upload_2017-12-9_16-56-45.png

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Have fun. There's quite a bit to learn...

OP
OP
Garfields
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Lots of options to play with
Probably never use most of them other than walk or cycle
May use the Geocaching at a push sometime just to get used to the unit

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Got a Garmin Touch 25 with full GB on it-not got lost yet-small screen but decent battery life (use rechargeables).On MH/MCycle use my 660 satnav.

OP
OP
Garfields
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Quick update after three months use
Happy with the Garmin 700
Only issue carry spare set batteries and set up the power save options especially in cold conditions
Also a plug for GPS Training well worth going to them their training and backup has been excellent
You can purchase their training even if you don't buy the GPS from them £20

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
I've been using a Garmin etrex vista hcx for years for mountain biking and walking used all over Europe. I use tracklogs for route planning, carry a paper map, relying on the device for position reference and breadcrumb trail following. I have topo maps installed but if I changed device it wouldn't be a because deal-breaker if the next device didn't have maps, just breadcrumb. Like not having a rechargeable device and prefer to carry spare AA cells.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I have a garmin watch,,,

It gives me the directions and metres to every hole and every bunker, hazard etc on every golf course in the uk !!

I only wish I could play the bloody game!!

Arrius

Free Member
Jun 29, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
I'd forgotten about Galileo. This new SatMap model uses it. The review claims up to 2m accuracy. I've seen 3m occasionally on my Active 10 but it's usually 5m.

Well, I have written articles about Galileo and I know for sure it is as accurate as it is advertised. I don't really know about the device but I read the review and it looks decent.

Galileo, once fully operational will be accurate up to 1 meter which is in a couple of years. So investing in a device with Galileo support isn't that bad.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I have a garmin watch,,,

It gives me the directions and metres to every hole and every bunker, hazard etc on every golf course in the uk !!

I only wish I could play the bloody game!!
my mate had some golf coaching and after assement the pro told him to cut 4 inches of each club
will that improve my swing he asked?
no but they will fit in the bin easier

OP
OP
Garfields
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006