Cold and electric heating in van (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
With the oncoming very cold period I have drained down the water from the van and turned off the heating, which was running at 8 degrees in the background on my EHU point. Thing is can I run my Truma on electrical heating (Elect 2) without any water in it. I know it can be heated gas wise but without water does the same apply electrically, the manual does not say it can or not Anybody know?????

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
if you post the model number of the truma system you have im sure someone will know...
would have thought if the option exists for heating on just electric it will be possible.
Andy

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
You should I think. On our Sargent psu there is a water heater switch that can be turned off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Just to keep the temp near to 8 degrees in case the water left in it freezes it is predicted to be -6 here tonight and tomorrow so low enough to freeze the contents arctic insulation or not, without heat inside.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Because it could invalidate his insurance.

Why?.

I leave an Oil filled radiator on in the `van at this time of year, set to 10C via a Thermostatic Adaptor. It`s enough that we have never had damp issues, and it should protect the heater IF there is any last vestiges of water in the system.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Just to keep the temp near to 8 degrees in case the water left in it freezes it is predicted to be -6 here tonight and tomorrow so low enough to freeze the contents arctic insulation or not, without heat inside.
Cheaper to drain down than warm the sparrows.
The auto dump may trip anyway.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Why not use a separate (cheap) blow heater? You are likely to burn out the elements prematurely and, maybe, the fan. Save the Truma for when you're actually in the van.
agree with you, £15 replacement for the plug in heater or helluva lot more for the Truma.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes you can but why do you need to heat the van I never bother.
The same goes for the many hundreds of new and secondhand vans sitting on the dealers forecourts during the winter weather that are drained down and left unattended.
I'm not sure if warming them up and letting them cool down adds to the problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If the house gets much colder, I will be out there living in the van as that is always warmer than the house ever knew how to be.
Warmer, cosier all round and even has a telly.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I once asked our insurers what would happen if the electric heater caught fire "not insured because we did not know of that risk, you can use the built in heating though".
I'd change insurer if it would seem that they may do anything to wriggle out of making a payment.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
On hook up my Truma stat is set at 8 degs through the winter as water is not always drained down. The blown air circulates all lockers so everything on board is protected from frost.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If the house gets much colder, I will be out there living in the van as that is always warmer than the house ever knew how to be.
Warmer, cosier all round and even has a telly.
Good point. In that case, I'd suggest using EHU to keep the batteries charged (the fan can be a drain) but heat using gas. It'll depend on how you get your gas, but i's likely to be cheaper than electricity.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I once asked our insurers what would happen if the electric heater caught fire "not insured because we did not know of that risk, you can use the built in heating though".

Whilst, I cannot deny that could happen I would suggest that they would have a hard time proving that the use of a portable heater was a "risk too far". Oil filled heaters are in regular full time use in many of the homes in the country. Some people having no other means of heating. In fact I would argue that the "built in" heating is an equal risk, one which they have already accepted.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Portable electric heaters should never be left unattended.. use at your own risk, they are not part of the van original fit equipment, as said by @hilldweller they are not covered by your insurance ..
Oil filled heaters are probably the least safe.. there have been many cases of them leaking.. In my opinion the safest would a tubular greenhouse type heater with an enclosed element and no liquid to catch fire.. but still not covered by your insurance.

Oil filled heater fire. https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/a-word-of-warning.44621/#post-534476

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Safeguards reply to my question about leaving a portable heater unattended

Dear James

In response to your query I can confirm that we would not cover any damage caused by a heater left in the vehicle when not in use.
If you would like to discuss this or any other matter further then please don't hesitate to contact me on either of the numbers below.

Kind regards

James

James O'Leary

Safeguard Service Team Leader

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread