North and South French Aires books (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Bought French Passion book today and have Camper Stop and motorhome parking apps.
New aires books come out in April.
We planning 2 weeks In France this August.
Are these books worth it? Should I purchase them?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I wont be buying them again. All the information is freely available on the internet

basically each of the apps gets about 90 per cent aires and i would hazard a guess that everything you read in all the aires is on the apps. A lot of the information on all the aires is out of date. We found 3 closed ones last year in last years book.

Another half a kilo and 25 quid saved

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
As above. All the data in them and more is now freely available on line.
The days of these expensive, virtually immediately out of date, paper based guides are just about finished now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I got the books and found them very useful, ideal for having a quick look at what the aire looks like and what facility are there plus what others are close by and an honest assessment and grade of each aire.
Gave me GPS co-ordinates and over 17days never let me down once, plus if your struggling with mobile reception there’s always the book to refer too.
Personally I think it’s worth the £25, and should be current for the next 5yrs and if ones closed down there’s plenty more not far away as I found out last year.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Wouldn't be without mine, good investment in my opinion...nice clear instructions with coordinates and pictures of the aires ....plus great info about aires and the services ..dont need to rely on internet ,a d it's great to sit and plan your next stop or two...Roy

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Nope
Don’t waste your money on outdated books when you can find thousands of Aires and Campsites across Europe end beyond using the Campercontact website and app
The app works offline too so no internet connection needed

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
From my point of view, I'd say definitely yes.
We originally had All the Aires that was in one book and when the North and South came out, we bought those and gave our old ones away. The current ones that we have are 4/5 years old (ok, maybe less) but still highly prized. Every Aire we've headed for has been there although we may not have deemed them suitable. Clear, precise coordinates and a description of the Aire but sometimes the surrounding area may not be acceptable. I use my Sat Nav extensively every day and I have a lot of saved places so I don't want to load unnecessary Poi's into it.
I think the camperstop and Camper Contact are good but take up valuable space in phone or Sat Nav and are subject to a good signal and Internet usage (although can be used off line).
The reason I prefer the books is because I don't pre plan where to go. We get to (first stop), Cite Europe and then decide where to go.. We can look at a decent sized map (as opposed to a mobile phone or 6/7 inch screen) and the approximate area and distance we fancy travelling and choose accordingly. Same process each time.
We have never found a closed Aire but we have found unsuitable Aires and that would happen with either format.
As regards the books being out of date as soon as they are printed, yes they are, agreed. Ours are up to 5 years out of date but still invaluable and when I think about the cost over the last 5 years (ok, it might be less but previously combined book) it works out at less than £5.00 a year and tbf, I can't see me buying another set in the next 5 years.
The previous book I had, that we gave away, is still in use by friends of ours.
For the odd one you MIGHT go to that us closed (we never have), there are 5 or 6 that you'll find unsuitable.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have Campercontact and Aires books. I am afraid we don't even decide at the beginning of the day where we are going to end up at the end of the day. We just meander in a rough direction and then decide when to stop.

Much easier to get the Campercontact app out, which does not need the Internet, and look up the local Aires. Lots of photos to look at rather than one or two, and many independent reviews to read give a much better feel for the Aire than a short entry in a book. It means we are much more likely to choose a suitable one first time round and therefore rarely need to reject it when we arrive. And when we have found the Aire we want the app links with my sat nav app on my phone to guide me to it, without bothering to have to enter coordinates.

In addition Campercontact have many more Aires than any book I have ever read.

All of this means I find myself rarely looking at the books.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Nope
Don’t waste your money on outdated books when you can find thousands of Aires and Campsites across Europe end beyond using the Campercontact website and app
The app works offline too so no internet connection needed
Can I add park4night and searchforsites apps, I see @Northernraider is doing all his trip with these, as do we(y)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
From my point of view, I'd say definitely yes.
We originally had All the Aires that was in one book and when the North and South came out, we bought those and gave our old ones away. The current ones that we have are 4/5 years old (ok, maybe less) but still highly prized. Every Aire we've headed for has been there although we may not have deemed them suitable. Clear, precise coordinates and a description of the Aire but sometimes the surrounding area may not be acceptable. I use my Sat Nav extensively every day and I have a lot of saved places so I don't want to load unnecessary Poi's into it.
I think the camperstop and Camper Contact are good but take up valuable space in phone or Sat Nav and are subject to a good signal and Internet usage (although can be used off line).
The reason I prefer the books is because I don't pre plan where to go. We get to (first stop), Cite Europe and then decide where to go.. We can look at a decent sized map (as opposed to a mobile phone or 6/7 inch screen) and the approximate area and distance we fancy travelling and choose accordingly. Same process each time.
We have never found a closed Aire but we have found unsuitable Aires and that would happen with either format.
As regards the books being out of date as soon as they are printed, yes they are, agreed. Ours are up to 5 years out of date but still invaluable and when I think about the cost over the last 5 years (ok, it might be less but previously combined book) it works out at less than £5.00 a year and tbf, I can't see me buying another set in the next 5 years.
The previous book I had, that we gave away, is still in use by friends of ours.
For the odd one you MIGHT go to that us closed (we never have), there are 5 or 6 that you'll find unsuitable.
couldn't agree more ,I have campercontact etc. But use the all the aires most as that way I don't have to rely on a electronic device ...other than my sat nav .....

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I use the Aires books, camper contact etc. They all have there uses. I would not buy the Aires books every year though. I like camper contact because you can leave a review or photo so is up to date by peaple that have actually been there.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
no more books for us either .. I used to buy every year, they now collect dust in the bookshelf at home.. relics of a bygone era , memories of past travels .

Campercontact app on phone, download the POIs (free) for the sat nav.. sorted. (y)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We had the tiny little yellow pages delivered the other day. Shows how books are being replaced everywhere. I now even get magazines/newspapers via the Readly app.

Back on topic, I use 'Park4Night' and 'campingcar infos' mostly but also one called 'camperstop'. Never got on with camper contact, must try it again.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Camper Contact, Park4Night & i-Camping Car for us haven't used books for years they are always out of date and only have a small portion of the Aires on them. Also have the POI's on MS Autoroute.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Camperstop Europe, both the app and the book are very good.

I use all the apps available from time to time, but do like thumbing through a book too.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Buy "Camperstop" it has most of the aires in Europe. About £25

colyboy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We mostly use Camper Contact but still have All the Aires although not the most up to date copies. I'm well aware that All the Aires would be more accurately named Some of the Aires but that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

The books still have their place, we'll often make notes in the books about locations we've found which you can't do easily with an app. I also don't like relying solely on having to have internet access. I spend too much of my life staring at screens so it's nice not to have to when we're in the van.

Britstops is another that I buy because it's a book. If it was an app instead I doubt I'd bother with it.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Books are good ,dont need unreliable electronic devices that need charging up or relying on the internet.Full stop.
I bet you've got one of those pre historic Nokia phones with number buttons on it, and you keep it in the glove box for emergencies :ROFLMAO:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I bet you've got one of those pre historic Nokia phones with number buttons on it, and you keep it in the glove box for emergencies :ROFLMAO:

They are collectable now! Fetch decent money. I'm keeping my mint Nokia 3110 (and older 2110) as investments. (y)

You will regret throwing yours away. ;)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I use all the aires of France book.

To jam in the smoke alarm .......

It's all its useful for in Spain

I have
camper contact....neveruse it
Camperstop.....never use it
Motorhome parking......never use it

Park4night....never fails
Search4sites.....never fails

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
We use some of these...

https://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.fr/
http://en.airecampingcar.com/
http://www.archiescampings.eu/
https://www.campercontact.com/nl/
http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index.php
http://www.camping-municipal.org/
http://www.i-campingcar.fr/accueil.htm you can download a French text PDF listing with comprehensive details.
https://www.park4night.com/carte_lieux
https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/

BUT if you want a pair of un-used North & South France Airs books (first edition of the N & S version) then I can supply for £20 post free. We used to sell these at VW shows but have stopped doing the shows.

Rod

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We are currently touring France with the 2015 edition of All the aires ( north and south books)
We have come across a lot of aires that have closed, moved or nothing like the descriptions posted. Then we look at when they were last checked, most are at least 2 years ago with many last checked in 2010 -2012 with some, still listed, but shown as closed, 2 years before the book came out!
We thought if getting the new edition, but notice they have only really checked half the aires in the new book, probably the most popular
Seems to be a bit of a con to us, I would expect a book like this to have the most up to date information on all the aires, not just some of them.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We are currently touring France with the 2015 edition of All the aires ( north and south books
As your book is 3 years old already, I doubt the Aire will state when it closed plus quite a lot of Aires are closed during the winter. The advantage you have seen is that the Aire was inspected on a certain date whether it be 5 or 6 or more years ago but at least it does say and, depending on the location, that is or was the latest up to date information.
Now, without the book, would you have located the Aire, irrespective whether closed or not? If no, then where's the con and if yes, then why buy them in the first place?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
As your book is 3 years old already, I doubt the Aire will state when it closed plus quite a lot of Aires are closed during the winter. The advantage you have seen is that the Aire was inspected on a certain date whether it be 5 or 6 or more years ago but at least it does say and, depending on the location, that is or was the latest up to date information.
Now, without the book, would you have located the Aire, irrespective whether closed or not? If no, then where's the con and if yes, then why buy them in the first place?
As an example, 2 aires in the book near Gastes ( south of Bordeaux) are shown in the 2015 book. Biscarosse and Navarosse.
Looking at the closed aires section, it says they closed in 2013.
Why put them in? More likely, they were not taken out and copied from the previous edition.

I said it’s a con because most of the aires aren’t updated regularly so information in the latest book isn’t up to date.

I know some aires are closed in Winter, we travel all year round and have done for years. We do use other books and go online to find aires, but as we have the book, in these cases, we used that.
I’m not saying the book is useless, it’s just not updated properly and when you are paying for a book full of information to use, you ( at least, I) expect it to be up to date.
Sure, in the life of the book, things will change, but surely it’s best to start with the most recent information.
But, it’s just my opinion. I’m not expecting people to agree with me

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
As an example, 2 aires in the book near Gastes ( south of Bordeaux) are shown in the 2015 book. Biscarosse and Navarosse.
Looking at the closed aires section, it says they closed in 2013.
Why put them in? More likely, they were not taken out and copied from the previous edition.

I said it’s a con because most of the aires aren’t updated regularly so information in the latest book isn’t up to date.

I know some aires are closed in Winter, we travel all year round and have done for years. We do use other books and go online to find aires, but as we have the book, in these cases, we used that.
I’m not saying the book is useless, it’s just not updated properly and when you are paying for a book full of information to use, you ( at least, I) expect it to be up to date.
Sure, in the life of the book, things will change, but surely it’s best to start with the most recent information.
But, it’s just my opinion. I’m not expecting people to agree with me
Your post was probably semi accurate but I think the word 'CON' was too far too harsh.
You're now in your 3rd year of using the book so up to now, it's averaging £8.00 ish a year. However, by what you are saying, I doubt you'll buy another one (if that's how you feel) therefore reducing the yearly cost as I doubt it'll go into the local tip but will be occasionally referred to.
At around £25.00, I've found it absolutely invaluable and it's saved me £100's over the dozen or so years we've been using 'All the Aires' and probably even more in fuel. The one you quoted in the closed section saved you going to that particular one thus saving time and money.
I think the vast amount of motorhome owners, not just Funsters have bought many, many items for use in the motorhome that they realised is as useful as a chocolate fireguard. I know I have and they're gathering dust in the shed as opposed to taking valuable space in the Moho.
Yes, in your case, you may feel that you've paid out for something that is useless but I've a sneaky feeling you won't jettison it at the next rubbish container as I have done with many items that 'I couldn't live without'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back