http://www.easylifter.co.uk/hydra-trail.htm (1 Viewer)

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I am going to buy one of these as soon as I get the towbar fitted to my little 115

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/hydra-trail.htm

but here is a question for you all;

If this transverse trailer did not have a single wheel then it would be nothing more than a bike rack - but does the addition of the wheel make it a trailer (given that it is fixed to back of the van and does not articulate) ?

Would you book a ferry or the tunnel by declaring it as a 3m trailer or would you add 1.5m to the length of your van?

Hmmm. Seeemed to have buggered up the title - Can you tweak it for me Jim?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi according to a reply on another site, if it can be removed with spanners its a trailer, otherwise its classed as overhang/bikerack.

They look an interesting idea, but for me they create as many problems as they solve. You now have a large pendulum weight swinging around the back of your vehicle, which with its all ready large overhang, is going to effect the handling.

The other problem I see is the increase in swing out at the rear, mine, already at 12' overhang is bad enough, but add another 3' :Doh:.

Olley

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Olley, you sure you have that right mate ??
ANYTHING can be removed WITH spanners !

I think perhaps it was a slip ?
If it can be removed WITHOUT spanners it is a trailer ??
That would make sense :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It is nothing more than a bike rack (a very nice one at that) and booking as a trailer is only adding unnecessary expense
I would at best add the 1.5 meters to my legnth, but may be tempted to use real legnth of motor home and just click it has a bike rack button:RollEyes:
Anyone who doubts that it is just a bike rack should be invited to unhook it complete with bike and push it over there:Doh::thumb:
Geo

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Agreed.It looks like a well-engineered piece of kit.

With the bike on the back I would certainly have the rear camera firmly focussed on it ...

My can is fitted where a "normal" rear-view mirror would originally be mounted and acts as the same.

Interesting concept.:Cool:

It does worry me the wheel is mounted directly under the bike though; apparently unsprung and relying on the whole unit to absorb the road vibration on a swinging assembly.

What if the tyre blows?

I guess I'd prefer 2 wheels / tyres mounted together for that eventuality and a sprung wheel.

Hey That's just me I guess....Over-engineering again.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
One area of concern for me would be the state of our roads at present
You have a simple choice now
Either hit the potholes with your front wheels or your bike rack centre wheel:Doh: what will be the outcome of repeated pot hole collision on the rack itself and rear mounts of the vehicle
Also the hedgehog preservation society thing its a diabolical idea:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
Geo

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Olley, you sure you have that right mate ??
ANYTHING can be removed WITH spanners !

I think perhaps it was a slip ?
If it can be removed WITHOUT spanners it is a trailer ??
That would make sense :Smile:

Not if its welded ::bigsmile: But you may be right mate, have to try and find the original post. Personally I think its a trailer, and they are bringing out a twin rear wheel version for greater weight carrying. (400kg?)

Olley

OP
OP
Autoquest

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for all the replies - Where did you get the info from about the twin wheel setup Olley? I would wait for that if one is in the pipeline.

I spoke to Easylifter chap and he said that a beefier tyre was all that was required for me to carry my Burgman at 267kgs

Would the loss of a tyre be any worse than the asymetric loading on a trailer?

You've got me thinking about that rear swing effect now.... I only have a small overhang and can't quite imagine any adverse effects.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Found the post, sorry its the Ezetow :Blush: not Easilift. And and it looks like you posted it.

Don't see why they couldn't add another wheel, to increase the carrying capacity.

Olley

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi according to a reply on another site, if it can be removed with spanners its a trailer, otherwise its classed as overhang/bikerack.

They look an interesting idea, but for me they create as many problems as they solve. You now have a large pendulum weight swinging around the back of your vehicle, which with its all ready large overhang, is going to effect the handling.

The other problem I see is the increase in swing out at the rear, mine, already at 12' overhang is bad enough, but add another 3' :Doh:.

Olley

if it is an OVERHANG then it is possibly illegal anyway.

construction and use regs say an overhang can only be 60% of the wheelbase protruding behind the rear axle (this includes the bodywork)...most motorhomes are very close to this limit anyway.

im also with jaws on the spanners bit.....if it needs spanners to remove it then its a part of the van and will be an overhang:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not if its welded ::bigsmile: But you may be right mate, have to try and find the original post. Personally I think its a trailer, and they are bringing out a twin rear wheel version for greater weight carrying. (400kg?)

Olley

Actually I think I am with you on this to be honest ! If it has a wheel then logic would say it is a trailer.. But then.... since when has logic had anything to do with the motor game !!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
if it is an OVERHANG then it is possibly illegal anyway.

construction and use regs say an overhang can only be 60% of the wheelbase protruding behind the rear axle (this includes the bodywork)...most motorhomes are very close to this limit anyway.

I don't have to worry about that papa, as mine is already over the limit. :whatthe: That's why the pendulum effect is such a problem for me. :Doh:

Olley

ScooterSam82

Free Member
May 24, 2008
Nottingham, Uk.
Funster No
MH
Broomstick
Exp
goodness please dont get an easylifter scooter rack! :whatthe::Sad:

as in 2007 me & gazz (my ex boyfriend) brought one for the back of kampy.. so we could put the sukida commander 125 scooter on the back & take her around europe with us..

after going around europe for acouple of months the scooter rack snapped! :helpsos:
so we had to pull over in a car park in the middle of this town we didnt know..

my poor old scooter had been bashed about by that thing before it snapped.. denting my scooter badly and leaving holes in the foot board.. my scooter was brand new in 07 for the trip..

anyway back to easylifter scooter rack, the rack snapped.. leaving the scooter hanging over the road.. and if it wasnt for gazz's great added on design.. 2 straps, the scooter would have gone bang on the floor... as it was leaning at such an angle.

gazz strapped it up the best he could and we headed back through france and caught the ferry to dover home, and ended up making a trip to my brothers house, so we could remove the dam rack.. and had to leave the scooter there.. making our trip round europe without it.
and having to rely on some cheap cycles to get us around. :Doh:

the route i'd go down would be, no to easylifter made stuff.. and go for something that doesnt use the hand pump system, that lowers the rack down enough to get the scooter on and off.. and go for something better made.. lol

sure if you send gazznhelz a message, Gazz will tell you what we did... and what sort to go for, as he's good at that kinda thing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back