Does anyone know Euro exchange rate in Spain? (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, the best rate I can find in UK is 1.1115 at Post office, can anyone tell me what the rate in Spain is at the moment??

Ginny

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
By far the best rates are obtained by using such as a Nationwide Flexi account,(there may be others ) load up your debit card in £s here in the UK
then any and all withdrawal's made abroad are charge free and your given the best daily interbank exchange rate a lot better than any exchange bureau:thumb: and of course your debit card is debited in £s Sterling
Geo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Ginny

I may be wrong, but I thought the exchange rate was the same no matter where you exchanged, the difference will be in the charges leveled by the bank or money shop.

from a Travel in Spain site

Spanish Banks - If you have cash to exchange check the street Cambio (money exchange) vender fees and then try a Spanish Bank. You will be hit by currency exchange fees at a Spanish bank but, in my case, the clerks always seem to feel so bad at charging so much for the exchange. Historically Spanish bank exchange fees have been less than the street, money exchange shops.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
At this moment, Sat 10th April 10:17 It is £0.87 to the Euro or E1.15 to the pound.

As above Nation wide give a good deal in that they do not add a commission but if the issuing bank charge a commission they will pass that on to you. We have found that very few banks in France, Spain and Portugal charge for cash withdrawals.

You can use a debit to draw out cash and a credit card to pay a bill, don't draw cash on a credit card as you will pay interest on it.

Doug...

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
Hi, the best rate I can find in UK is 1.1115 at Post office, can anyone tell me what the rate in Spain is at the moment??

Ginny

Exactly as Goe has pointed out and by far the safest method for money abroad...if you want to take cash (unwise) then exchange at Tobacos shops..stay away from exchange kiosks showing high rates>>>Small print at back of kiosks says 3/5k only<<
i.e IT'S A CON:Doh:...use Nationwide debit card:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
at the moment the rate is around €1.08/09 to the pound in spain so the postoffice rate looks good, info obtained from sister that lives and has a business over there

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well the mid price in the money markets then was 1.14003 , so nationwide was taking 3.5 %

personally I won't pay more than 1% plus a maximum of 0.25% in electronic transfer fees

just had a look at crown currency exchange and they are offering 1.1341 , so about 0.5 % and no electronic transfer fees I understand [ I don't carry cash ] ; hence I am looking at them

anyone who travels regularly in the eurozone might like my method

french current account , opened as expatriate to a uk address [ passport required !]
french livretA savings account , maximum holding €15,300 because it is tax and fee free , rate government controlled , currently 1.5%

of course , if you find a free card you save from the first euro

total costs , about £30 pa because you have to pay for your debit card .. there are now probably banks offering better than that but I am well set up where I am and it wouldn't be worth it for me to change
you can change money from the savings account to your current account by phone , or letter , or visit the bank

with this card you can withdraw your money without charge [ by EU law ] anywhere in the eurozone ; I calculate that if you spend more than £1,000 pa in euro's each year you are in profit if you find the interest rate competitive ...it was 4.5 % 4 months ago but......

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I have been told that £ rate drops before an election---a bit of a gamble--I would wait until after the election.
Nigel

We set off for Spain in the morning, so I had to buy Euros for tolls today! I went to the post office, asked what the rate was - just to check - and was told it was 1.07 what a cheak! so I went to another exchange and managed 1.10.

We will keep in touch and hope to see some of you Funsters in Santa Suzanna.

Ginny and Mike

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
exchange rate

As funsters above have stated Nationwide debit cards are the best option but when using a ATM machine in spain it asks iff you want to be charged in english pounds and you have to press the no button or you get the spanish banks rate which usually is'nt as high hope this helps
AlanI

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Remember that the business rate is often quite different to the tourist rate.

Banks may be using the (better) business rate as well as not charging commission etc.

I have found that the best rate is not always offered by the same dealer - you must shop around.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
As funsters above have stated Nationwide debit cards are the best option but when using a ATM machine in spain it asks iff you want to be charged in english pounds and you have to press the no button or you get the spanish banks rate which usually is'nt as high hope this helps
AlanI

I believe this advice to be true wherever you are.

Always use the local currency never opt to take Sterling

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
so I had to buy Euros for tolls today! I went to the post office, Ginny and Mike

I always use my credit cards at toll booths. The only drawback I've found is when I drive off before the other half has retrieved the card :Doh::Doh::Doh:.

She has 'til the 8th May to improve her reactions.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
did you forget to look in tesco mike .they are usually the best exchange rate ,plus your points .:Doh:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I always use my credit cards at toll booths. The only drawback I've found is when I drive off before the other half has retrieved the card :Doh::Doh::Doh:.

She has 'til the 8th May to improve her reactions.

I always understood that credit cards make a charge if used abroad.I would be interested to hear of one that doesn't make a charge on any transactions made outside the UK.

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Both VISA and MasterCard make surcharges on all transactions outside the country of issue. Usually 2.75%, I believe.

The exchange rate varies between issuing bank card companies. The exchange rate for the Euro is the same, of course, in the FX markets, whatever country you are talking about - Spain, France, Greece, Cyprus, etc... Different banks and Bureaux de Change set their own rates. The difference between one and another may be just a few cents.

If you are changing, say, £200, and one rate is given as 1.10 and another 1.12 then there will be a difference of 4 Euro. Will this ruin your holiday? I suppose a couple of coffees will be foregone.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back