The Beast from the East (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
BBC Look East have promised us snow in north Norfolk, early next week. Whoopee!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Quite looking forward to a decent fall of snow.
Since we moved to Suffolk 12 years ago we have hardly had any.
When we had to get to work we seemed to have regular heavy falls, now we don't have to go anywhere it just fizzles out after a few minutes.

Richard.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We are on the cliff top looking straight across the North Sea in norfolk and it's blowing a hoolie , enough to blow the barnacles of yer bottom. Already had two almost 2" coverings of snow this winter and looks like we could get more. March next week but not much sign of Spring :rolleyes:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I am 300 yards from the sea in north Suffolk and it’s churning up quite nicely. The wind is straight from the east and bloody cold. There is lots of sunshine which makes it look quite nice but once the door is open look out!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
6 Bags of Coal, and a Load of Wood, for the multi-fuel. Just in case we get an outage like last time it got that cold. (1947?:whistle:). Candles and a Coleman if we need them. If we get snow SWMBO wont go out the door until it thaws.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Its FEB,,its UK ,,think its happened before,,usually in winter,,What a load of fuss from the media,,Trains cancelled even before the snow,,,All be over in less than a week,,BUSBY.

Nov 9, 2017
Funster No
what worries me is because we don't have severe snow regularly there are generations of "drivers" out there who have no idea how to use their vehicles in slippy weather,

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Returned this afternoon from Lincolnshire and everybody seems to be going nuts! The illuminated roadsigns are all warning of "Severe Weather Forecast Tomorrow", the radio is reporting various travel companies are shutting up shop and even our own local radio station is forecasting doom and gloom! Hardly a snow flake in 143 miles! Rushed to put the van back into storage before we get trapped!

Just got in from walking the dog - beautiful clear sky even if it is a bit chill. Not a sign of snow!

Yes I know - just wait until tomorrow morning, but don't particularly care, not planning to go anywhere. Isn't retirement wonderful?

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
what worries me is because we don't have severe snow regularly there are generations of "drivers" out there who have no idea how to use their vehicles in slippy weather,
Plus a lot of modern car's have far to wide a tyre's for snow (y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The schools text us their might be sum disruption to school transport
Jays Ben dusting of his Skye's
Bill

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Trouble is they are taught to always use their brakes and not go down the gearbox,,Snow and ice plus brakes equals a crash,,,,BUSBY,,:):)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Pah, we're all moaning about nothing. I had a call with colleagues in Sweden today - minus 10 in Gothenburg at midday, it had warmed up by then, and wind that will "take the brass balls off a monkey" according to my colleague (well, he nearly got it right - and his English is much better than my Swedish.......)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Snow? Oh that stuff that is on the top of the mountains near us here in Southern Spain ... I rang my Mum this afternoon (in Hull, UK) and she said it had been snowing a bit ... we were sitting out in the lovely sunshine here and had a temperature reading of 35 degrees outside ... lovely-jubbly!!!

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
So; where is it then eh? Snow, I mean. I’m living in Essex which is supposed to be hit hard. Everyone has been advised to be home by 6pm, trains have been cancelled, other train routes from further east are finishing at 10pm. Even my local Council have just sent me a “Severe weather advice” email about helping by parking one side of the road so that gritters can get through. The streets are quiet and have almost a curfew air about them.

Only thing is.........

Apart from this morning, not one flake of snow is outside - nada! It’s now 9.35pm and well into the slot where (according to the news) I sould be unpacking survival rations!

WHERE is the Beast?

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Just been out with the dogs, cold yes, :whistle:but it is winter after all.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Bit rough here today but soon sorted (y)

image.jpeg

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Gross over exaggeration by BBC news as usual ! most folk on here have seen worse winters over past 50 years,
Be prepared yes,make sure whatever you are driving is ready for it !
In the 70's I learnt a vital lesson from the old security guard in that when up working at Kishorn (at the foot of the Baelach Na Ba ) trains were getting stuck coming from Inverness too Kyle of Lochalsh, roads were block by 7 foot drifts, he told me to always remember to carry things that you might need but hope to never use.
So into the boot goes,
shovel
large flask
bright waterproof coat
torch
small stove
rope
blanket or sleeping bag (both)
cuppa soup
coffee or tea bags.
when going out of town most is in the boot !
check weather forecast
check roads
Tell someone when you leave and where you are going/ phone and tell when you arrive !
The main reason for vehicle getting stuck is that most cars including 4 x 4 have huge low profile tyres that are no bloody use except on a dry road ! plus most folk do not have a Scooby how to drive in snow conditions.
Rant over and take care everyone.
Me I am going out tow play in my Volvo c/w snow tyres and if required my snow chains !!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Don't know what's the beasts in 2mm of snowfall hear
Wee-man on his way to school so disappointing for him
He was hoping for bus cancellation's
Bill

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just seen a "Snowflake" drop down past the dinning room window.. :Grin: :dance2: :cold: (y)..

Edit that : Grabbed my camera to take a photo of said Snowflake...

Wernt snowflake.... was a lump of bird $hit... :doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back