Discover Leisure seeking Creditors Voluntary Agreement (1 Viewer)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Have a look at this tucked away on Discover group's web site

Link Removed

Link RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

and particularly the "announcement..." & CVA proposals parts 1-3, pdf's all dated 29/5/09 - If you click on the links (if you have a pdf reader) all the details are there.

It gives the background to them closing all those branches, and the huge loss made in the 6 months to 28/2/09. In short they propose an arrangement with their creditors that is to be voted on next week, whereby they will get support from the bankers to continue trading (in the remaining 5 branches) if their creditors agree to a settlement of 22% (ie 22 pence for every pound of debt) over a 5 year term. So somebody who is owed £1000 gets £44 in year 1, £44 in year 2, etc as long as the company is able to pay until the 5 th year and £220 in total. If they don't agree the company is "likely to go into administration".

One of the pdf's has a list of creditors - it's pretty long.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
How does such a business survive after such an anouncment:RollEyes:
In very simple terms they seem to be saying
Were going to the wall
we will pay you a fraction of what is owed, can we have more credit so we can carry on a bit longer, and owe you a bit more when we finaly go bang
who in their right mind will trade with this company now
or am I missing something:Doh:
Geo

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Just been looking through the list of creditors and one of the biggest is Pack Leisure. Anyone know who they are. I wonder if I went into a discovery branch and offered to buy a Motorhome for 22% of the screen price and pay over 5 years would they do a deal :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Accessory wholesaler, you will note that there are only a couple of major accessory suppliers on the debtors list, the rest could have been supplying on pro-forma

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I think I want to be a Liquidator have you seen the hourly rates they charge there is no wonder there are no monies left for creditors after they have taken their chunk.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:but then again 9.4 million worth of debt err hello

saxon

Free Member
May 22, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4th year
Discover Leisure

Starting to get a real sick feeling - having paid a deposit for a new Chausson three weeks ago, we are still waiting for confirmation as to when we can take delivery. Having agreed a trade-in value for our McLouis we have left it with them as the road tax has run out and we have had to cancel the insurance as we had to insure the new vehicle to get it registered and taxed. At the moment, all I stand to lose is £500 deposit and the fine if I'm caught driving my old mh back home. Only trouble is where else can we go? :Eeek::Doh:

OP
OP
P

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Starting to get a real sick feeling - having paid a deposit for a new Chausson three weeks ago, we are still waiting for confirmation as to when we can take delivery. Having agreed a trade-in value for our McLouis we have left it with them as the road tax has run out and we have had to cancel the insurance as we had to insure the new vehicle to get it registered and taxed. At the moment, all I stand to lose is £500 deposit and the fine if I'm caught driving my old mh back home. Only trouble is where else can we go? :Eeek::Doh:
You cannot register and tax a non excistent vehicle, neither can you insure it.

Peter

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

So who owns your old MH at the moment then? If you still do - did someone SORN it? :Eeek:

I don't understand why you had to cancel your insurance and tax though, you normally arrange for the insurance to cover both vehicles on the handover day, that's all, so you should have just got a cover note for the new one for when you needed (ie when they had given you a date!). What happens if your motorhome is damaged etc whilst it is uninsured if they don't insure it themselves (especially if you still own it)? If they do go into administration you could run the risk that your MH is seen as one of their assets depending on what agreement you have with them ...

I really hope there isn't a problem for you, but if it were me, I'd be certainly looking to get my old MH back, regardless of the cost of insurance/tax, until I knew for certain what's going on and/or when I was definitely going to get my new one and hand the old one over then.

There are a few dealers who sell Chaussons so you do have a choice - what model are you getting?

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Can anyone tell me, is Discover Leisure conected/owned/or part of Swift?

Doug...

saxon

Free Member
May 22, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4th year
Oh the vehicle exists alright - it was on display. Only trouble is that things keep cropping up to prevent us taking delivery. The latest is that the CPU has water in it and they are waiting for a delivery from Fiat in Italy. I have written to their Head Office and hoped that some 4rse kicking would get them into gear. :shout:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
They were very busy at their site near Wigan over Easter and loaded with stock and salesmen.

How do they get away with it?

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
If I remember correctly or incorrectly Burtree Caravans may of become part of this group and one address I do remember used to be that of Dave Barrons, having used to deal with each of these companies when I worked for Goodalls Caravans in the good old days rant rant.

saxon

Free Member
May 22, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4th year
So who owns your old MH at the moment then? If you still do - did someone SORN it? :Eeek:

I don't understand why you had to cancel your insurance and tax though, you normally arrange for the insurance to cover both vehicles on the handover day, that's all, so you should have just got a cover note for the new one for when you needed (ie when they had given you a date!). What happens if your motorhome is damaged etc whilst it is uninsured if they don't insure it themselves (especially if you still own it)? If they do go into administration you could run the risk that your MH is seen as one of their assets depending on what agreement you have with them ...

I really hope there isn't a problem for you, but if it were me, I'd be certainly looking to get my old MH back, regardless of the cost of insurance/tax, until I knew for certain what's going on and/or when I was definitely going to get my new one and hand the old one over then.

There are a few dealers who sell Chaussons so you do have a choice - what model are you getting?

The new one is a Welcome 76 2009 model and we have searched the internet and the nearest one that comes up is in Somerset. 200 miles away is a bit too much.
The tax ran out on ours just days after we were supposed to be picking up the new one and the insurance was something I have never heard of before - we had to get the insurance cover for ther new one with only a chassis number. This wasn't from the day of handover as you would expect - it was immediate so that Discover Leisure could get the vehicle taxed, and the tax and registration are done at the same time. I felt uncomfortable insuring a vehicle which didn't belong to me, but the insurance company were familiar with this on new motorhomes. When I put this down in words, I start to feel like a real idiot but until reading about CVA's I had no reason to believe that there may be a potential problem. I just figured it was poor site management which caused the delays. I plan to go there again tomorrow and try to sort this out - if I cannot, I will have no alternative but to cancel the order. :Sad:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Can anyone tell me, is Discover Leisure conected/owned/or part of Swift?

Doug...

no they are not part of swift, from what i remember discover leisure is part of a motorfactor group and they bought a lot of decent companies and ruined them, a bit like the family that own man utd. companies that were not in debt were bought and used as collateral to buy more dealerships, culminating in most of the branches of the dealerships being closed and land for sale/sold off in order to keep the five they have left open, they did get outline planning for some of the plots before putting them on the market.The plot down the road from me that was a barrons site is for sale

As an aside i would go and get my motorhome back from them untill you take delivery of the new one, depending on the paperwork it could be classed as their property and as such an asset to be sold on.

Last edited:

tonybrightspark

Free Member
Dec 31, 2009
Kent
Funster No
Saxon

If you paid your deposit by credit card that would be retrievable, would'nt it?
Just paid 2 grand deposit on card for new MH with that in mind.

tonybrightspark

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The new one is a Welcome 76 2009 model and we have searched the internet and the nearest one that comes up is in Somerset. 200 miles away is a bit too much.
The tax ran out on ours just days after we were supposed to be picking up the new one and the insurance was something I have never heard of before - we had to get the insurance cover for ther new one with only a chassis number. This wasn't from the day of handover as you would expect - it was immediate so that Discover Leisure could get the vehicle taxed, and the tax and registration are done at the same time. I felt uncomfortable insuring a vehicle which didn't belong to me, but the insurance company were familiar with this on new motorhomes. When I put this down in words, I start to feel like a real idiot but until reading about CVA's I had no reason to believe that there may be a potential problem. I just figured it was poor site management which caused the delays. I plan to go there again tomorrow and try to sort this out - if I cannot, I will have no alternative but to cancel the order. :Sad:

Saxon, that is fairly standard practice in the motorcycle game.. I certainly would not be concerned about it..
I would however be concerned as to the whereabouts of my old m/home..
I think it would be well worth a visit ( not a phone call ) to check it is there.
In fact I would further ask for the keys and paperwork back in the light of the announcement .. I do not think that is unreasonable considering the fact that the executors could lay claim to your vehicle and sell it for a fraction of its value.. paying you said 22% of the sale price !!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Years ago when these CVA's first came out, a property developer friend of mine used one, he paid a halfpenny in the pound :Eeek:

He kept his house, cars ect. and also his property in the USA which he didn't declare.

Olley

Dave'N'Mags

Free Member
Apr 17, 2009
Funster No
Can I please just advise everyone not to touch Discover Leisure with a barge pole.

Many of you will remember my posts over the last few months about the problems we have had with them in relation to a 12v electric problem (among other things) with our Bessacarr E435. Appalling customer after sales service. Everything still not completely sorted - and not likely to be now. They never do what they say they will, they lie, and have treated us as the lowest of the low.

Stay clear.

My personal opinion is that Id rather travel to the other end of the country to deal with a decent dealer in future.........Johns Cross might be a very long way from us, but I have a feeling that when the time comes for a new van, we may well make that journey.

Mags

saxon

Free Member
May 22, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4th year
Discover leisure

Update on the above - It is now nearly the end of July - nearly 4 month after paying our deposit on new Chausson Welcome 76.
We took delivery of it eventually for a weekend away 5th May. By way of compensation, they agreed to a Diamond White finish with polish kit and a reverse view camera. When we arrived to pick it up, the Manager couldn't remember promising the camera, so he agreed we pay half (could have got it done for half by the supplier). Found a number of faults during that weekend so motorhome went back to Discover. Faults included mis-aligned fridge/freezer so doors wouldn't close properly, ill-fitting drivers door, faulty paint job on the silver cab, etc.
Eventually got it back and we went to Scotland for our first holiday proper. Half-way up the M6 at a steady 60mph, everytime a lorry overtook us, one of the skylight's banged up and down (found that it wasn't locking properly); didn't feel steady but spongy when parked; springs underneath making terrible squeeky noise when walking up and down inside, etc etc. We are now waiting for it to go back.
Got a call from their sales team asking if we still had the book-pack for our old McLouis. They couldn't find it for the new owners. What a shower!
Why did we go there? Because we were 1st class chumps and will never recommend them or buy from them again. The shine of our new motorhome has competely gone. For the sake of buying near to home, we have spent a lot of money and even more time just trying to get a motorhome in a satisfactory condition, that in our opinion, wasn't of saleable quality in the first place. :cry::shout:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Whilst not wishing to disagree with you concerning your dealings with Discover as you have obviousley had a bad time of it.

Surley these defects In your mh are the fault of poor workmanship or design by the manufacturer.

Isn't it Chauson who should be coming in for a bit of stick here.

Jim
:Smile:

saxon

Free Member
May 22, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4th year
You are absolutely right - Chausson would be the one to complain about if we had had a good service from Discover. If Discover had done the PDI which they should have done, they would have found all the faults before selling it and they would have returned it themselves. Because Discover delayed so much for all sorts of reasons before we actually took delivery, it went past the time that we could tell them to stuff it. I do not blame Chausson for that - only Discover. :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back