Insurance quotes (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2017
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Knauss Sun I
Exp
new
Have finally got insurance sorted for our van, and thought I would share the info we found.
The details for the van are 9 metre length 5500kg full time living including European cover fully comp.
NFU £743.22 (no breakdown cover available. discount of 10-13% for strikeback )
Comfort £1326.28 (breakdown cover at extra £62 also require tracker class5)
Safeguard declined to quote as vehicle is over £85k.
CCC could not quote as no full time policy.
So we have gone with NFU , we also tried our own broker but they did not like the value or size.
So as everyone else has found hugely differing amounts , I did get a phone number for the British Insurers Association 0370 950 1790 who can tailor individual policy but are very expensive.
Now to try and get breakdown cover which I expect to be equally challenging.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I called NFU this morning for a quote and they would not give me one as I had no other insurance with then..? They said it would run along side my “other” policy...?

OP
OP
Meander n Izzy
May 10, 2017
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Knauss Sun I
Exp
new
I called NFU this morning for a quote and they would not give me one as I had no other insurance with then..? They said it would run along side my “other” policy...?
Have no insurance with them previously, but having read on other threads it appears that depending on which branch you ring as to what answer you receive. I rang the Chichester branch they did question it was not my local office, my reply to that as I was doing all online and not wanting to go in to their office.
I spoke to Sharon Caesar on 01243 717069 you could also mention that Southdown moterhomes recommended

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Did you try AIB insurance? They've been giving me good prices recently and you get a Funster discount.

After ringing 3 companies and going through the whole process I start to lose the will to live @Janine i did look at them on the reviews section and there were better reviews on others...

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Have finally got insurance sorted for our van, and thought I would share the info we found.
The details for the van are 9 metre length 5500kg full time living including European cover fully comp.

At the risk of being a killjoy, if you are proper full timing then you are not covered by anything other that the Aviva Horizon plus policy from Comfort. No other company offers this ( although maybe AIB do the same policy) but definitely not NFU or anyone else. It’s a very specific policy, and the one I mentioned is the only one, and you have to pay a fulltiming rate.

The exception would be if you still have your own house and don’t rent it out, and are long term touring.

OP
OP
Meander n Izzy
May 10, 2017
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Knauss Sun I
Exp
new
At the risk of being a killjoy, if you are proper full timing then you are not covered by anything other that the Aviva Horizon plus policy from Comfort. No other company offers this ( although maybe AIB do the same policy) but definitely not NFU or anyone else. It’s a very specific policy, and the one I mentioned is the only one, and you have to pay a fulltiming rate.

The exception would be if you still have your own house and don’t rent it out, and are long term touring.
What would comfort cover that the others dont,have been through my policy it seems to cover what I need ?

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
What would comfort cover that the others dont,have been through my policy it seems to cover what I need ?

Probably nothing, but if you are proper full time without your own property, you’re on a sticky wicket if you’ve given an address which you cannot ‘prove’ that you live at and is your home, for which you can produce utility bills etc. and you haven’t rented it out.

Don’t misunderstand me, it’s a minefield, search the topic for full time insurance on here, and you’ll see! It kinda depends what YOU mean by fulltiming. I’ll bet a million quid you didn’t use the words full timing to the NFU !

Comfort are just a broker, but imho one of the best for MH insurance.
By comparison to your quotes, my van is similar size, slightly less value, same cover as we are 11 months abroad, inc breakdown etc and is £1540 for the fulltimer rate.

Of course, it only matters in the event of a claim! But then it really does matter!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back