Insurance claim your experience (1 Viewer)

rolling rolling

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2003
Hi There..

We are looking to purchase our first ever motorhome insurance policy as we pick up our 20 year VW motorcaravan this weekend. We have called about 8 different companies and now have a spreadsheet with all the different cover they offer so we can quickly compare one with another. The proof of a good insurance companies isn't really what they offer at the great price but how they handle you in a claim situation.
Has any body had a bad or very good experience for that matter when making a claim. We like comfort as they allow 9 months out of the UK but are £160 more expensive which we found odd as all the others were coming in arounnd £250 and they wanted £406 without the breadown cover which of course we will add what with taking a 20 year old camoer to Europe.
Hope to get some feedback which might help with our decision. AIB who advertise on here have come in at the cheapest £309 with breakdown cover .
Thanks

Rolling Rolling

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Comfort breakdown has been really good for us. 3 uses in 7 years, all in Europe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
NFU since 2010. Claimed for a cracked windscreen. Ordered from the States and replaced, at our local bus garage, in three weeks. Cost them £5500 and me £50. No hassle, no trouble, and constant communications. Excellent.

Windscreen (600 x 450).jpg

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
That insurance for that kind of windscreen cover may not be appropriate in the OP's case.
That's all. I meant no comment on the van. We full time in an ancient Hymer. Sorry.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
To quote the original poster ........................ " Has any body had a bad or very good experience for that matter when making a claim "

I was merely commenting on the way my claim was handled and gave an example as he requested. Nothing else ??????????????? o_O

OP
OP
rolling rolling

rolling rolling

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2003
SuperMike

Thanks for your input.

We might try NFU depending on what breakdown cover they offer, did you take out theirs and who is it with .

Thanks

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If the vehicle is 20 years old FIRST check that someone will cover breakdown insurance as I have often read tales of people having problems getting cover.. (y)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Aviva via Comfort where nothing short of superb when dealing with claim and renewal only went up £30 well happy

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Aviva via Comfort where nothing short of superb when dealing with claim and renewal only went up £30 well happy

Blimey - they were a nightmare for our claim. Kept losing the paperwork. :(

But the renewal only went up (If I remember) less than a tenner.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Blimey - they were a nightmare for our claim. Kept losing the paperwork. :(

But the renewal only went up (If I remember) less than a tenner.
Accident Saturday. Reported Monday. Got estimate sorted Monday and passed to Aviva. Phone call 930am Tuesday from Aviva authorised. Email from garage 1030am all authorised parts ordered.
Might have helped I organised estimate from a garage I knew was one of their approved repairers

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Aviva via Comfort were faultless in dealing with my claim, and also used breakdown in France which was also good. Actually the mechanic who came out was dead grumpy but still did a good job.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
SuperMike

Thanks for your input.

We might try NFU depending on what breakdown cover they offer, did you take out theirs and who is it with .

Thanks

I don’t know if they do. But at 10.5t we would not have caulified anyway.
We use the RAC Arrivals, because it is the only one that will cross the channel, but even then the cover is limited to 2k.

OP
OP
rolling rolling

rolling rolling

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2003
Thank you for all your input. After calling 11 companies and comparing cover we went with Comfort even though they were £40 more expensive than the cheapest AIB. The two main reasons we went with Comfort was because we are taking the camper to Europe and we don't know how long for and how often we will go in the next 12 months.

Comfort offer 9 months out of the UK and everyone else offered a max of 6 months in total over of the year. The next was the EU breakdown cover, we already have RAC Arrival for the UK so not bothered about the policy conditions for this country. A lot of insurance companies offer Trinity Lane as their breakdown service and they only give you a max of 60 days total over the 12 month policy for breakdown in EU, so expensive cover for 2 months only . Lets hope we never have to claim if we do I'll write a review on here !!

Thanks again Julea ( sorry guys I'm a women not a bloke )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back